iPod Nano and MP3 players advice

Hayabusa

Top 10 Troubleshooting Tips for iPods

1) Make Sure That the Battery Holds a Charge

If you can’t turn on your iPod, iPod nano, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle, or your computer doesn’t recognize your player when you connect it, your iPod battery may be completely depleted. Connect your iPod to a high-power port on your computer (or to an optional power adapter) and allow it to charge for at least 30 minutes. Then try turning it on again.

2) Check the Hold Switch

Make sure that your iPod isn’t on “hold.” Check the Hold switch on your iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini and make sure that it’s in the off position (you shouldn’t see any bright orange next to the switch). Try turning the switch on and then off again to see if that helps. If you’re using an iPod shuffle, take a look at the front status light when you try to turn on the player. If it glows orange, your iPod is on hold; press the Play/Pause button for 3 seconds to turn off Hold (the front status light will quickly blink green three times when Hold is disengaged).

3) Reset Your iPod

If your iPod won’t turn on, won’t start up fully, or stops responding (it appears to be frozen), reset it. Resetting your iPod will not affect any of your music or files on your iPod, however, you may need to reconfigure some customized settings. To learn how to reset an iPod, iPod nano, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle, see this article.

4) Let the Battery Drain

If your iPod won’t turn on after you reset it, in rare cases you may need to let the battery fully drain first. Disconnect your iPod from your computer or power supply and leave it disconnected for about 24 hours. Then reconnect your iPod to your computer or power adapter and reset your iPod.

5) Check Your Connections

If you’re now charging an iPod because it wouldn’t turn on, make sure that your cable connections are secure if it looks like your iPod isn’t charging (again, wait for the battery to charge for at least 30 minutes before you try to turn on your iPod). Try completely disconnecting your cable from your iPod and computer, plugging it back in again on both ends, and then waiting a few minutes for the charging indicator to display. For more help with iPod charging issues, please see this article.

6) Try a Different Cable or Power Adapter

If your iPod still won’t charge, try swapping your iPod cable for another if you have a working one available. If your replacement cable resolves the issue, you may want to replace the original. If you’re using a power adapter to charge your iPod, try connecting your iPod to a high-power port on your computer instead.

7) Try a Different USB or FireWire Port

If your iPod still won’t turn on and you’re still having trouble charging it, try connecting your iPod to a different USB port that’s located directly on your computer (or another FireWire port, if you’re connecting your iPod through FireWire).

8) Update Your iPod Software

Some iPods require a minimum version of iPod Software to work. If you have an iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini and see a folder with an exclamation point icon on its screen, download the latest version of iPod Updater and then update the software on your iPod. For more information about the minimum iPod Software requirements for all iPod models (and to get the latest iPod Updater), see this article.

9) Restore Your iPod

If your iPod still won’t turn on or charge, restore it back to its factory settings. Please note that this will completely erase everything on your iPod so back up your files if you can. For instructions about how to reset your iPod, see this article.

10) Either contact an Apple Genius in an Apple retail store in your area or you local Apple certified dealer. Or if you are lucky to have an iPod savy friend contact them before contacting Apple.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I need an answer to this too' date=' even if you have no proof of receipt from any service (ebay etc).[/quote']

Nope you can't have an extended warranty if its past 30 days and you need a reciept from the original place of sale. So if you want a warranty from best buy you need to have purchased it at best buy. I used to work there and we always got people coming in saying they bought it someone else wanting a longer warranty.

Fuck BestBuy and their fuckin warrantees...lil computer nerd in there tried to tell me they wouldn't replace my digital camera, my brother threatened his life and after he finished pissin himself he ran to get me a new one

Fuckin pricks

yeh i guess so (replying to all your posts)

but thats why im here

i do feel that spending 170$ on something like this is a bit much

and im not throwing my money away because i havent baught anything yet and because im still rocking the same CD player ive had for 4 years.

Im not trying to buy something for the hell of it, but because my cd player is old as fuck, and its becoming less and less practical in my every day life. I do not have the luxury of owning a car, and in my daily life to and from school or work, music would be a good thing. It takes me about an hour to get to and from school.

As far as the kinda music i listen to goes, you're way off base buddy

:rolleyes:

The music thing was a general statement. I wouldn't claim to know what you, in particular, listen to.

If you're going to get an i-Pod, then go all the way and get a 20gig one. I don't know how much they cost now that Apple decided to make video i-Pods the only option, but you can get refurbished i-Pods for nearly half the price if they are not video. And if you need to watch videos on the train, then you'll be full-blown ADD in about 10 years. Nano's are the ultimate in vanity product, for 170 dollars you could buy a nice discman and a set of 50 CD-Rs and people with i-Pods will call you "retro". I got my 20-gig for $150 because I worked in the stockroom and they gave employees 20% off refurbished goods for a month. I would not replace it if it broke since I don't work there anymore and I'll be damned if I dish out 400 dollars on a product that has a planned obsolescence of 3 years, when your battery will completely die and you'll be forced to spend money on a new one while losing all of your data.

It's obscene, I bought a really nice Sony discman in 1998 and it still works, although I have to tape the door closed because the spring popped out when I was cleaning hot chocolate powder out of it in 2000. It's been through some really hard times. If you don't get a hard case for your i-Pod, you'll watch it break after you drop it once.