apple computers: g5

THANKYOU

anyone own one? man im ready to throw down like $7 g's to get one with the quad dual core processors, about 2 gigs memory, and the 30 inch monitor. so sweet.

whats good on apple discounts? anyone know where to find some good coupons? how much do their employees get as a discount? anyone know?

discuss

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Ginger Bread Man

i have a dual core g5 running OS 10.4 and 4.5 ram... blue tooth/infrared/wifi... i love my machine... look into a terabyte drive to keep your info in. it processes data seemlessly... i hate my pc at this point

i also bought a 20" inch cinema display and a sony dsr 11 dvcam deck...

im looking into the 30" real soon here....

Guest Ginger Bread Man

and if u do get a/any external HD i would strongly recommend that u find one with a firewire 800

you will thank me later, trust me

You could buy a PC for half that price that would be just as powerful, but you'd have to know enough about computers to build it yourself, or at least pick out the parts.

These new Apple commercials are stupid. There's no viruses for Macs because nobody uses them and because you can't program shit on a Mac without buying expensive software. And Macs could run Windows 95 when it came out, but it was pointless and it ran like shit and nobody cared. You can run Mac OS on a PC, anyway, and it's pointless and runs like shit. You can also run entire video game systems on your PC like Genesis, SNES, N-64, etc etc. Macs are great if you want a computer that runs solidly if you're going to just use the internet and word processors. And they're great if you're going to spend $1300 to run high-end video and audio software. But Macs and PCs are apples and oranges. Apple is making a big mistake trying to, once again, compare them as being on the same playing field.

PC VS MAC debate is dead & buried.

So it was, Mac for graphics, motion & music, PC's for programing & program choice,

though most pro 3D rendering suites are run a XP PC bases, or even custom linux programs, and that said Adobe products run nicely on PC'S.

Anyways most people who are in that line of work owen both,

PC's are shit cheap these days, & with the new 'Boot camp' runing on

the new intel Macs, you have the choice. Shame it doesnt work like 'Virtual PC'

were in you chould jump from Windows to OSX & visa versa.

Though I found that to be unstable.

I agree though, most new macs are targeted at the new customer base aquired through iPod owners. Also the Adobe Creative CS packages cannot take advantage of the

new 'Intel' chips power, we have to wait for 'CS 3' versions.

SO WERE THE FUCK ARE THE NEW G5 LAPTOPS?

I've been holding out for ever, my Mac is getting long in the thooth,

and with every new OSX update the speed reduces.

YALL, if i were you i'd be waiting for the next generation of Powermacs which is supposed to come out in late fall 06. the quad is a monster indeed, but i argue that support for PPCcore based Macs is running out soon. not sure about that though.

you can't program shit on a Mac without buying expensive software

not true. nearly all developertools you'll need including a debugger come with a fresh copy of OSX. there's also a very good online documentation in the package. a comparable suite for Windows can cost you easy $300 or more.

And Macs could run Windows 95 when it came out

wrong. at that time Apple still used Motorola 68k type processors, there was no way to run Windows on a Mac, except if u were using an emulator like MS VirtualPC, which was first released in 1997, over 2 years after Win95 emerged.

You can run Mac OS on a PC, anyway, and it's pointless and runs like shit

that is not an official version made by Apple, therefore you can't expect full functionality. ever tried running MacOS on a Mac?

PC VS MAC debate is dead & buried.

SO WERE THE FUCK ARE THE NEW G5 LAPTOPS?

I thought those were nothing more than a pipe dream, now that Intel is making the processors..

I'm fairly certain there is no such thing as G4, G5 anymore..The MacBook Pro is supposed to be the new big boy on the block..

But then, I could be wrong.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

haters can't afford them so they hate. i use my machine to edit video and sound. it works superd. handles video data efficiently. my OS is very stable and trust me i use it for much more than aim/ps/illustrator... my two cents

You could buy a PC for half that price that would be just as powerful, but you'd have to know enough about computers to build it yourself, or at least pick out the parts.

You could build a Civic that runs faster than a Ferrari. But it's still a fucking Civic.

El Mamerro/Ferrari owner

i got a powerbook G4... the last generation before apple discontinued making power pc based computers. high resolution, 1.67ghz, 1.5 mb of ram, 128 dedicated graphics card. shit's killer

if i were u, i'd hold ur money for a little while longer, while a 'replacement' for the power mac g5 is inevitable. while it is true, the first roll out of new computers are rittled w/ little problems, like overheaitng issues for macbook/pro, discoloration for thew white macbooks, "mooing" and "humming" sounds all arounds, etc. im sure the replacement for the power mac will also face some feats. hold out if u can, but if u can't, you won't be dissapointed...

and to fermentor who said all software on macs are expensive, it's true, but all software is expensive. that said, mac embraces open source software. so expensive? yes and no. but, like 99% of the people on this board, we're just gonna find it online somewhere...

Guest Ginger Bread Man

sarcasm. about software found online. i was speaking to tech support on certain issues with FCP and we checked the disk for problems. it logged illegal names.

while he didnt make a stink about it and gave me an unsatisfactory answer i feel this is a way they are trackin piracy. anyone have thoughts or knowledge about this?

Guest Ginger Bread Man

i gave them fake info and used a line other than mine to do my research. when i figured some shit out that i couldnt do. i said fuck the noise and dropped 1500 on fc studio... no problems since...

what i want a mac for is video editing, music maniulation / creation, the regular shit like the net, aim , and so forth...

but what im most interested in is their stability online and their sense of security. everyone i know says they dont have to worry about viruses or spyware and their computer runs great.

id pay an arm and a leg to have that on my pc.

this past xmas i got a new G5 imac

later in the year a second one was bought by my brother. however he got the intel chip.

after a few months i can tell a difference in his machine and mine.

intel = slower (not much but you can tell)

i hope they work out all the bugs with the intel chip. it will make macs much more affordable.