Holding Firms

the.crooked

I have been doing this data entry/ research job for a couple days now in which I basically sift through websites of major corporations based in houston and create a data set based on senior management and boards of directors. In particular I find the concept of holding companies rather interesting.

I don't know much about them, but from what I understand they basically are just capital based investing. They find a specific sector, buy the voting stock within a specific publicly traded company and then provide it with resources and capital to make it grow.

Anyone know more about how they work? I feel like its basically rich people makin other rich people richer. Better yet, anyone work at one? I wanna know more...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

What Is a Holding Company?

Email this article Email this page

Format for Printing Format for printing

Become a Fool! Become a Fool!

Request Reprints Reuse/Reprint

Related Links

* Motley Fool Take Archive

* Fool Investing Newsletters

Discussion Boards

* The Motley Fool Take

* Reading Financial Statements

By Selena Maranjian (TMF Selena)

April 2, 2004

Holding companies are conglomerates that own other firms. Investorwords offers a more specific definition: "A company that owns enough voting stock in another firm to control management and operations by influencing or electing its board of directors. Also called parent company."

A good example is Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK.A), which owns GEICO, See's Candies, Executive Jet, Dairy Queen, The Pampered Chef, and Benjamin Moore paints, among many other businesses. Another major holding company is Fortune Brands (NYSE: FO), which owns companies making distilled spirits (Jim Beam, DeKuyper, Ronrico), golf equipment (Titleist, Cobra, FootJoy, Pinnacle), home products (Moen faucets, Aristokraft and Schrock cabinets, and Master Lock padlocks), and office products (ACCO, Day-Timers, Swingline).

Another holding company is Loews Corp. (NYSE: LTR), which encompasses CNA Financial (NYSE: CNA), Lorillard, Diamond Offshore Drilling (NYSE: DO), Loews Hotels, Bulova Corp., and Texas Gas Transmission.

While many companies routinely gobble up other companies, they frequently aim to blend these acquisitions into their operations. Holding companies keep the businesses they buy more separate.

yeah, the last year or so i have been trying to figure out what i want to do after school. Grad school is a must cus I can do fuck all with an undergrad in philosophy. However, the general understanding of the world and how to learn given to me by such a degree will be endlessly helpful. But I think after that I'm gonna get a small business loan or find some sort of investors and do something with that money. I am fairly certain that with my ability to talk to people and my level of intelligence I should be able to do something with that money that will give me a secure future. I suppose what I do in fact do will be directed by what I do in grad school.

I say this cus my fascination with things like holding firms is because of my recent realization of how easy it is to make money in this type of economy. Even with little work.