An Inconvenient Truth

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: An Inconvient Truth

So Iv'e heard, " it's the only movie where people gasp when they see a chart"

I have no issue with the Al Gore Narration. He had this really cute idea of a website that would project a movie of the earth from space ( all the time), in order to show people that their earth is a beautiful place and that they should take care of it. Never happened though, I'm pretty sure the funding for it just dissapeared in the past few years...

I don't think theyr'e trying anything subliminal, it seems aimed at only an american audience, so mabye it's just a desperate attempt at a wake up call. Yet the people who need to see it the most won't, so we'll see how effective this ends up being.

i agree with KT08, the people who ought to see it, wont. i also agree that its not just some liberal ass shit, it is important, it is a big problem, its not just americans that are doing it but we sure the fuck aint helping. from what ive heard, gore has gone through some sort of change after 2000, i think if i lost the presidential election i would too. i do think he got boxed in as a robot unfairly in 2000, but shit mutherfucker you look so shiney and greasy and botoxed now its scary and you are doing everything you touch harm by putting your mug on it. which is a shame. i think its a case of heart in the right place trying to do the good thing but most americans wont be able to get past the simple things and see that its a movie about an important world issue.

age with grace you old farts. if seeking ever gets botox then i just dont know what ill say.

i was flipping through a communication arts(design mag) a couple of weeks ago and i came across this poster by a design firm out of south korea for the world wildlife fund..it was a tsunami made of garbage and the tagline said that every year 14 trillion tonnes of garbage is dumped into the oceans. fucking insanity.

I think Gore is doing the right thing by using his 'fame' to promote a worthy cause.

He could just do the speaking tours like Clinton and make a boat load of money,

but he's lending a hand to a cause that he probably believes in. I think it's noble.

They are both doing pretty noble things. Clinton has been working with his own non-profits to help increase the health among america's youth. Diabeties is quickly becoming a major problem among our children and at least hes tryin to help with that.

My mom went to an advanced screening of this film tonight. She works for the environmental defense fund, and is quickly becoming closely associated with a lot of this sort of stuff. She said the film is quite sobering as to the severity of our current situation. Which I can only hope will impact people in some large manner.

Next wednesday I am going to a dinner with her where we will get to speak to Gore himself about the film and other things. It should be fun. A friend of mine at school, his film thesis was a documentary on his car that runs on vegetable oil. I think I am gonna give Gore a copy. It is a rather amazing documentary. He was able to interview many of the figure heads within the greasecar movement. Along with those people he also got Morgan Freeman, Yoko Ono, Tommy Chong and Noam Chomsky. Chomsky has some crazy shit to say about the historical context of america's transfer to a commuting oil driven society. Freeman actually is rather involved in the community as he is a partner in a newly formed biodesiel refinement company. They are opening the first biodesiel refinement plant in america in Lousianna in the next several years.

There have been tons of recent articles and reports about the effect of global warming. I have access to most of them if people are interested. Lemme know and I will post if people want em. When I say reports, I mean studies carried out. Not just the news reports about those studies.

gore has been pumping this issue up for years, it's not a new thing for him.

i don't care who is talking about global warming, more people in the us need to listen

it was super funny the other night when i heard one of the local affiliate newscasters say

"up next, more on the global warming debate"

i mean, who the fuck are these idiots kidding

it's still a fucking debate to these morons

who probably are saying the same shit about evolution

i'm getting to the point where i don't care about anything at all anymore

my nihilism is reaching all time highs

ilike docus though, and i like gorey

i'll watch it

i think im gonna ask al gore for a job this wednesday. i figure the worst that can happen is he will say he can't help me. that he is glad to see i am a young person concerned with these issues, and then be annoyed for the thirty seconds he remembers me. but if he says yes, well then goddamnit i got a job through al gore.

symbols- yeah. its just like how "the debate among scientests over evolution still thrives"... the ability to keep accepted scientific theory out of mainstream thought by using its own language against it is old hat. its fucking annoying. it doesn't help, however, that a large majority of the scientific community has no clue how to communicate with the general public.

right now, my mom is dealing with a perfect example of this. She is the public outreach and advocacy person for the EDF in houston. The unfortunate thing is that because the foundation itself is mostly comprised of scientists, economists and their ilk, they have no conceptions of communication or marketing. They hire my mom to do so, but when she is actually progressing with making contacts within large orginizations and creating some good buzz about their projects, she has her hands tied because the higher ups want a "grass roots" initiative. This is the problem with the scientific community and social initiatives being directed by them. Because of either only the concern with the actual issue at hand, eg fixing global warming, or a lack of understanding as to how to initiate social change, eg missing the big picture, they end up with this bullshit stance that does nothing to actually inform people. This "save the environment one person at a time" bullshit is rediculous. I don't understand why these people whom obviously care about what is going on and want to create change find themselves so shortsighted within their own beurocracy, agendas, and lack of public understanding. Everytime my mom tells me about the goings on of her office, I wonder how I, at nineteen years old, can immediately see the problem and find a solution but they can't. I wish I could talk some logistics in to these people so that perhaps some good could actually come of the information and programs they are pushing.

Either way. I think this dinner wednesday will be rather interesting. I have a bunch of shit I wanna say to and ask of the ex-vice-pres.

people get old and crotchety and they have their own political battles

you should've seen new orleans post katrina

it seemed so obvious, but it just was not happening

it left me wanting to kill

trying to get smart, opinionated, and stubborn fucking people to agree can be next to impossible

Some Inconvenient Truths About Al Gore

Thu, 25 May 2006 07:35:54 -0700

Gore at Cannes

By Stephen Marshall

The inside track on "Cousin Albert"

Editor’s note: With the release of his global warming documentary An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore has reemerged as one of the Democratic Party’s most high-profile stars. Despite his repeated statements that he is a “recovering politician” and is not interested in running for office, many believe Gore will throw his hat into the presidential ring come 2008. But despite his many years in high elected office, what do we really know about Gore’s politics? In this exclusive excerpt from his forthcoming book Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing (Disinfo, Jan. 2007), GNN’s Stephen Marshall talks with Gore Vidal about some inconvenient truths about his relative:

While his “cousin Albert” has effortlessly inhabited the vestments of a liberal politician, to hear Gore Vidal tell it, the former Vice President’s liberalism is merely a prop developed to bring him to the head of the Democratic Party.

“Well, although we are cousins, and I was a friend of his father’s, I’ve always thought he was absolutely pointless as a politician. He’s just another conservative southerner.”

In fact, Al Gore’s voting record as a senator was surprisingly conservative until he rolled his eye toward the White House. Throughout most of his career, he was pro-life and had an 84% anti-abortion rating from the National Right to Life Committee. From 1979 – 81, he voted five times on the side of a Republican sponsored rider that granted a tax exemption for schools like Bob Jones University that discriminate on the basis of race. He was openly anti-gay, calling homosexuality “abnormal” and “wrong,” and telling the Tennessean in 1984 that he did “not believe it is simply an acceptable alternative that society should affirm.” Gore was such a strong supporter of the gun lobby – ultimately voting against the critical 1985 legislation for a mandatory 14-day waiting period for handgun purchases – that National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre once said, “We could have made Al Gore NRA Man of the Year – every single vote.” Finally, when it came time to vote on conservative Supreme Court nominees, Gore publicly praised but voted against the scandal-ridden Clarence Thomas. He voted in Antonin Scalia. If the wider public had been more aware of his legacy, few would have recognized the Al Gore of 1988 who ran for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Pulling his hat down so that his eyes are shadowed from the sun, Vidal continues his effortless assault on Al Gore: “Another border-state, southern lover of the Pentagon…there was never anything the Pentagon asked for that Cousin Albert wasn’t down there giving it to them; he voted for the first war in the Gulf.”

Indeed, Al Gore was one of only ten Democrats to break with the party and vote for President Bush Sr.’s Gulf War in 1991. But while Vidal sees this as a facet of Gore’s eager-to-please statism, others have attributed his dissenting vote to self-interest. Former Republican Senator Alan Simpson accused Gore of peddling his vote on the Iraq War in exchange for high-visibility, headline-grabbing speech time on the floor. According to Simpson, the night before the vote Gore stopped by the GOP cloakroom and asked, “How much time will you give me if I support the President?” Taking him at his word, Simpson and Senator Bob Dole offered Gore twenty minutes, thirteen more than his own party would grant. In Simpson’s account, over the course of the night Gore jockeyed to have the floor during prime time to ensure that he would get coverage in the next day’s news cycle. The negotiations went right up to the last minute, leaving Simpson to conclude that Gore “arrived on the Senate floor with… two speeches in hand. [He] was still waiting to see which side – Republicans or Democrats – would offer him the most and the best speaking time.”

For Vidal, stories like this just prove the moral bankruptcy of American politicians who serve no master other than their own ambition. And their corporate backers. In Gore’s case, this meant Russian-born oil tycoon Armand Hammer, owner of Occidental Petroleum. Though it was Gore’s father, Senator Al Gore Sr. who was the primary beneficiary of Hammer’s support – in exchange for political and diplomatic favors to further his international business interests – Gore Jr. slipped quietly into his father’s shoes.

Occidental is one of the worst corporate polluters in the world. In its most scandalous case, an Occidental subsidiary dumped thousands of tons of toxic chemical waste near the residential area of Love Canal, New York, causing birth defects, miscarriages, and incidences of cancer in the nearby community. But Gore remained a friend of the company. And the company, a good friend to Al Gore.

Despite being a predominantly Republican supporter, Occidental funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions to the Clinton/Gore Democrats over the course of their two-term administration. In return, Gore maneuvered to facilitate Occidental’s acquisition of oil drilling rights in the Elk Hills National Petroleum Reserve outside Bakersfield, California. Long held as a federal oil resource, Elk Hills represented the largest turnover of public lands to a private corporation in American history. It tripled Occidental’s U.S. petroleum reserves, increasing the company’s stock value by ten percent. Gore later admitted to controlling between $250,000 – $500,000 worth of shares through a family held trust.

Gore’s vaunted record as an environmental populist clashed harshly with the 1996 Elk Hills-Occidental deal. Democratic fund-raiser (and former Gore campaign manager) Tony Cohelo sat on the board of the private company hired to provide an environmental impact report for the Energy Department. After the deal was approved, Peter Eisner of the DC-based Center for Public Integrity remarked, “I can’t say that I’ve ever seen an environmental assessment prepared so quickly.” Perhaps even more damning, Elk Hills is part of the Kitanemuk people’s traditional lands. Despite protests from the tribe, it took less than five years for Occidental’s massive operations to wipe out any trace of the 100 native archaeological sites, including ancient burial grounds, that were left in Elk Hills.

Throughout Al Gore’s campaign for the 2000 Democratic presidential candidacy, environmentalists protested his relationship to Occidental. This time the issue was Gore’s defense of the company’s plan to drill near the sacred grounds of the Colombian U’wa tribes people. During Clinton’s second term, Occidental spent millions lobbying for American military aide to Colombia in order to bolster the country’s ability to defend its pipelines from rebel armies. The close links between the company and national security forces surfaced when U’wa leaders sued Occidental, claiming the Colombian army used the company’s planes in an operation that ultimately resulted in the murder of 18 innocent peasants. As a measure of last resort, the 5,000 remaining U’wa threatened collective suicide if Occidental refused to alter their drilling plans. And, in February 2000, when U’wa representative Robert Perez traveled to Washington in order to make his people’s case against the company, Gore refused to meet him. In 2002, after a protracted public battle over the U’wa drill site, Occidental pulled out, saying that U’wa protests had “no effect at all” on Occidental’s withdrawal decision. Apparently, neither did Al Gore.

But, for Vidal, the act that most proves Gore’s contempt for representative politics was his total acquiescence in the face of the contested 2000 presidential election result in Florida. The image of Gore presiding over the certification of Bush’s victory was a moving, if tragic, scene in Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11. There he stood, banging his gavel as each successive member of the Congressional Black Caucus rose to challenge the assignment of Florida’s 25 electoral votes to Bush. “There was a hell of a lot of people ready to march,” Vidal says defiantly. But Al Gore wasn’t one of them.

“He is of above average intelligence, on issues that people didn’t really care about, like the environment. But if there’s a hot issue, he runs the mile,” Vidal concludes firmly and then, looking up at the clouds that have moved over the sun, rises.

I haven't watched this movie... or even the trailer. It might be good for all I know. I do know that I don't trust Gore. It was this betrayal that destroyed that.

But, for Vidal, the act that most proves Gore’s contempt for representative politics was his total acquiescence in the face of the contested 2000 presidential election result in Florida. The image of Gore presiding over the certification of Bush’s victory was a moving, if tragic, scene in Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11. There he stood, banging his gavel as each successive member of the Congressional Black Caucus rose to challenge the assignment of Florida’s 25 electoral votes to Bush. “There was a hell of a lot of people ready to march,” Vidal says defiantly. But Al Gore wasn’t one of them.

Whether or not he's sincerely changed, I dunno... It seems to almost be a prerequisite to be corrupt in order to be a politician.

what makes you think that I voted for bush? and that I voted in a state that bush won? hmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmm???? lol

a wrong assumption aparently. either way. gore would have been better than bush, and a vote for third party was a vote for bush.

Saw the movie on Sunday night ... it was on 3 screens at the art house near me ..... a 7:00 showing had about 40 people in it. ended with applause, which is rare at the movies in my experience.

It is a breakdown of the slide show he has been giving for the past few years with a bit of Gore history as a second plot line.

How he wound up being informed about this in the first place is what gave me a touch more faith in the info.

It is sobering ... Most interesting was the computer animations of what a rise in sea level of 20 feet will do to some of the largest cities, and the fact as initial research came out no one countered it ... now about 50 some percent of the articles written are counter. (Strikes a cord if you think about the counter articles about smoking in the 70's)

My favorite quote used in the movie:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding." - Upton Sinclair

a wrong assumption aparently. either way. gore would have been better than bush' date=' and a vote for third party was a vote for bush.[/quote']

My thought after the movie :

Where the fuck was this Al Gore during the 2000 campaign ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

he has been doing the lecture circuit, starting an investment firm called Blood & Gore, and maintaining positions on various executive boards across the country.

he wasn't like this on the presidential campaign cus there aren't any pollsters and strategists informing him of how this or that desicion will affect his chances at being a president. his position towards climate control and environmentalism has alienated him from a favorable mainstream political position before. it is no suprise that this wasn't the major crux nor a position of confidence during that campaign.