Connect-i-cut.

Eastavenu

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
and as for this stencil debate (here it goes...)

street art and graffiti are different?

i mean, you know im new, but i thought

graffiti was... art... on the street.

im assuming you have very distinct

definitions of the 2, and im fuckin positive

youve got a particular sense as to what you

consider real graff and not..

but in my humble opinion, i say that

any artwork put on a public surface constitutes graff.

to me, its not just the handstyle or can control

that matters; its how one takes the environment

around them and expresses themselves with it.

banksy's commercialization is a complete

abomination to everything i hold dear to

graff and to everyone on the ground level still

putting in work; but the motherfucker used to

do shit that would blow me away when i saw it.

using stencils/tape in your pieces to compensate for

lack of technical skill is weak, no question;

same goes, as said, for trying to cover for lack

of true talent w/ more over-stimulation;

but you cant write off a whole other artform

within the artform becauase of a few cats

who keep it whack within it. stenciling has

a completely different skill set,

different technical abilities, requires a different

eye for what the artist aims to accomplish.

i dont even think it should fall under the same

category as traditional graffiti, though they

both borrow from some of the same disciplines

that were around long before either came up,

like typography, photo realism, and 2d design.

that being said, fuck the internet and all

the haters huddled in front of it; peace to everyone

posting flicks and paying attention for the

sake of actually learning something; not out

for fast fame.

see you on the ground.

fuck that graff is about LETTERS and STYLE, not adobe skills and im pretty sure i've seen a beast and soki simple with some tape work in the 3d

aloe and acrid are fuckin' buttery

fuck adobe.

i do em w/ an overhead transparency,

a marker and an exacto knife.

real art, not letting the computer do it for you.

that was my entire point; stencils arent a crutch for wannabes..

and whats wrong w/ that tweak? (criticize, please)

I think that Tweak is fresh.

You're still using the transparency for the stencil. It's a less modern approach to the illustrator work. Still copying/tracing a picture.

Of course there's bound to be someone doing dope shit with stencils, but I feel it's too bad they're not spending their time doing the same thing with caps and paint cans. If someone is going to use spray paint, at least they should use it correctly. Stenciling is a weak excuse for the kind of work The Mac, Tasso, Mear and others have been doing. If you don't know who I'm talking about, drop the stencils and get familiar. I think stenciling might be acceptable if it's some grimy bombing to blast out your name hella quick and ugly, and not some pseudo-political bullshit or flowers or shit like that. I don't see what the need for the hipster art shit is on a street. Do it in your house on a canvas or something. It's super annoying to be forced to look at it.

I also forgot to mention how hot that tree is that Edit did. Real good colors and skill.

I've cut a stencil or two and it can be interesting to supplement technical ability, but using it as a crutch or claiming to be a "graffiti artist" when everything is painted through a proxy (stencil, tape, etc.) doesn't fly with me. In my eyes, it's worse than having no can control at all. It's basically cheating. If someone can't do a decent tag or paint little chips and doodads in their fills, and has to rely on a stencil they produced in Illustrator, then they aren't a writer. For that matter, if they can do a 300 color technicolor piece, then drop a dogshit tag next to it, it's equally write-offable. I personally spent at least a year doing tags and tosses, and nothing else, because I always thought that the foundation is more important than the fancy bells and whistles.

ok i see your point...i agree with that last part, because thats really what i do. ive done a couple pieces, but im more focused on developing a basic style that doesnt look like shit.

and lest i forget, that tree is sickening.....but i like that lightning fill..real cool.

that tweak..wow is all i gotta say about that. man youre fucking outpacing me...i gotta catch up now :lol:

banksy has taken stenciling to all time highs. there is no comparison with kids who are just too lazy to learn how to write their names with a can of paint, or a marker properly. if you want to be popular and get rich, be an artist and stencil or whatever. if you want the respect of real writers, learn how to write your name with style with whatever you have in your hand. or don't. either way, it doesnt matter, none of this matters. were all going to die.