New York v. San Fran

Get Stoopid!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Raels

To me, a writer is a writer anywhere you go. Mentalities just evolve as a result of their surroundings. If somebody like Deck(NYC) had come up in LA and still gotten into graf, he'd probably be knocking out tons of overpasses and billboards instead of grates and corners. I think the same would be true if a head like GKAE had been from New York -- he'd be runnin' subway tunnels and catching fill-ins in every burrough.

this prolly sums up the "differences" best....cities like philly and newyork dont HAVE 20 freeways...in fact philly has only 2: 76 and 95, and so there is hardly any "I" beams or ill LA-type spots to do. especially since there arent hardly any overlapping highways really with overpasses and shit...and nyc is the same, so its more street, more rooftop, more neighborhood rep. i think LA and NYC are a better "matchup" anyway though, because LA is actually hard to write in, like NY or philly or DC or whatever. SF, im sorry to say, is easy to write on. its an art-friendly city and bobming is cake out there. i cant front on all the kids like AMAZE and TIE and GREY and TWIST that have come and killed nyc.....but its really no comparison if you ask me. style-wise is a whole other story...style is gonna depend on your personal taste....but what isnt subjective is the fact that SF is way easier to rep hard than to rep 4 boroughs in NYC. thats a fact. LA, on the other hand, is comparably hard i think.

my 2cents

Guest willy.wonka

NY.SF.NY.SF.EN WHY.ES EFF.NY.SF.

i just think there is a time when the "soul" of grafitti moves from place to place...like Pete's Dragon.

i like sf....although i have seen the ultimate productions from ny."graffoply"three horse men"all of subs work is sick....a lot of people that have been around for a long time...

i dont know guys....

i have seen a lot of work come out of ny...just not too sure who's native.

ima have to go with Salt Lake City.Utah

NYC.

Ive been to both cities and many inbetween.. New York has an aura to it.. As soon as I got into manhattan I just sort of felt in awe of everything.. surreal almost... i can't say that i felt that in SF. granted, there were spots in LA and SF that made me shit my pants, but the cities just dont hold what NY does.. am i a dork? perhaps..

my 2 cents.

Guest emit_df

Well.. In NY If you got dissed there was usually a name over your piece. When I painted in SF my shit got dissed by spaltter or scribble.....which is BS. If your gonna diss someone..have the balls to write your name or leave it alone.

I remember being somewhat underwhelmed with the graff in SF. It felt like I was walking through a magazine. I mean everything was decent and flickable, which is totally not what graff is to me. What makes graff an experience as a whole is the forty thousand tags in various stages of disrepair on the doorway or wall, not the one or two perfect ones.... well, to me at least. While it was certainly cool to come across a clean SF door with Amaze Grey Tie Twist and KR tags on it, aesthetically I prefer NYC, where graff has acheived a kind of organic sense of belonging, like moss for city walls.

It's not any commentary on the great writers of either city. They're great. It's more that it's the sheer volume of toys that make the biggest impression on me...

Shit, Sao Paulo was like that. Twenty times more killed than NYC ever was, and 99% of the stuff plain sucked. And that made for the best visual effect ever.

Originally posted by Remy Martin

SF gets props for being the most liberal city in the world pretty much.

Its a beautifull place and also a very nice place to paint old buildings and stuff..the core population is under 900,000.

however you have heads from all over which makes it nice you know..especially after paying attention and what not for year after year..cause you see all kinds of styles come through and its a nice chill scene to paint. Its San Francisco, for its size the, rents it commands are maybe even higher than New York. New York is a incredible place as well. I think the thing that puts a city on par with New York is the heads in Los Angeles doing full end to end bridge panels. at 6-8 feet tall and around fifty long its comparable to a subway car, same goes for heavens alltough a bit smaller. Its a key part of the transportation scene out here, plus a lot are done without ropes and if you fall theres a good chance you will die....subway systems here are a joke pretty much and thousands upon thousands of people see bridges and stuff when it gets hit. much like the subway t to b's that ran throught the 80s.

I would love to see a NYC bomber come through and crush LA.

I got money on LA writers being able to crush NYC.

but its all good.

sf is not by any means the most liberal city in the world. as of 3 years ago it would possibly be the most liberal in america...but the world- hell no.

san francisco was beating NYC for a few years. it was when nyc was in a slump and SF was in a prime.

SF is a small city and should be compared to a specific borough or NYC, rather than "NYC".

i have to say that NYC is bar far the best graff city in america, but SF was at one point rocking better and more than NYC.

SF went downhill after 1998/99

and it hasnt come back up.

except for kers thats one phenomenon.

Guest Remi Martin

your right sixteenvandals...

there are far far far more liberal citys than sf....somehow it seems i was thinking of cali as the world when i wrote that.

im relived that was all you found to be faulty in my statement.

for going on style ediquitte alone ,and letter style cali takes it .and charechter wise west coast has the inovative straight out of the mind where new york take there charecters from books and for a place that started graff there isnt very much inovation from the top celebrity writers they are still painting the same shit over and over exccept for a select few . dont get me wrong i love new york because of nestalgia and the mecca of writers but i would have to say cali . is taken it to another level . we have inovated toss ups to full coler pieces on the freeeway and or bridges a simple tosse will not be respected you have to go all out ...... ciao steven , konker conspieracy theory bashers:king:

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by conspieracy

for going on style ediquitte alone ,and letter style cali takes it .and charechter wise west coast has the inovative straight out of the mind where new york take there charecters from books and for a place that started graff there isnt very much inovation from the top celebrity writers they are still painting the same shit over and over exccept for a select few . dont get me wrong i love new york because of nestalgia and the mecca of writers but i would have to say cali . is taken it to another level . we have inovated toss ups to full coler pieces on the freeeway and or bridges a simple tosse will not be respected you have to go all out ...... ciao steven , konker conspieracy theory bashers:king:

have you BEEN to new york?

celebrity writers, bode characters? dude, you're seriously missing the point if you have. quantity, quantity quantity, competition, competition, competition. that's what's up with NY and what makes it so fresh. sounds like your living in a magazine world or something.

Originally posted by Huh What !?

NEW YORK no comp! the bronx alone has more peices an bombing then san fran.

have u ever been into the metro tunnels?? theres got to be layers upon layers of full detailed peices in the N tunnel.

its true about the dissing part. Ive seen my own shots get lined and no name. just a line through my shit

Originally posted by THE LAW

have you BEEN to new york?

celebrity writers, bode characters? dude, you're seriously missing the point if you have. quantity, quantity quantity, competition, competition, competition. that's what's up with NY and what makes it so fresh. s

ounds like your living in a magazine world or something.

all im saying you havent been out here eitheir . so we both only get to see whats on the net , or in a 12 oz and other top mags ,or sites . .sever and revok have moved east ,but all i have seen from ney york is old styles ,fx or tats. bites . if there is inovation send me some examples

(denglishhooligan@aol.com) same letter styles over and over . your own self proclaimed graff gods who i have alot of respect for starting this shit . but they still paint like there froom the seventys san fran graf f hesads who are in maqgs such as saber revok and gkae sever hence are not from san fran .if you thinmk east coast is better then how are my boys lookin from la revok and saber i herd they smashed your town like a terrorist . and alot of us have been out there i have , and so has my friends i have a couple of freinds who live in ny ...

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by conspieracy

all im saying you havent been out here eitheir . so we both only get to see whats on the net , or in a 12 oz and other top mags ,or sites . .sever and revok have moved east ,but all i have seen from ney york is old styles ,fx or tats. bites . if there is inovation send me some examples

(denglishhooligan@aol.com) same letter styles over and over . your own self proclaimed graff gods who i have alot of respect for starting this shit . but they still paint like there froom the seventys san fran graf f hesads who are in maqgs such as saber revok and gkae sever hence are not from san fran .if you thinmk east coast is better then how are my boys lookin from la revok and saber i herd they smashed your town like a terrorist . and alot of us have been out there i have , and so has my friends i have a couple of freinds who live in ny ...

uhhh...you're missing THE LAW's point entirely.

He will summarize for you:

1. You live in a magazine world.

2. You can't judge a city till you've been there.

3. Your examples are shit.

4. ehhh....this isn't worth THE LAW's time.

by the way, THE LAW is not from New York. Or SF. but he's lived in both places. His viewpoint is far less biased than yours.

Archived