New York v. San Fran

Get Stoopid!

well well well after living here in ny for a bit I'm throughly not hyped about the graff, the style, the scene, etc. . . and don't think I haven't been going out of my way to see shit, cos I have.

San Francisco's so yummy and delicious and filled with good writers, I feel like it's neck and neck w/ New York for graf noteriety, even if there isn't as much graffiti there. (I'm assuming all this cos I never gotten to go out west, but you hear about the san francisco scene constantly and flicks are flowing and abundant.)

When I was younger, I was all "I'm going to New York to see the graffiti," and now I wanna go to cali and seeie theie graffitieie. . .

So who's seen it all? Who prefers what?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i definitely think that nyc is better i ve been there many times and have seen alot. . the bombing scene is definitely better than anywhere else.

all the greats are from new york. dondi, iz the wiz, seen, pjay, cope 2, korn, cost, espo, revs, skeme just to name a few

gotta repect all the old school , espicially because this is where trains all started. i dont think the graff scene in sf is nearly as good as new york. not saying the graff scene isnt good in sf but i just think new york is legendary .

thats my opinion though

Guest ctrl+alt+del

yeah its nice and all that new york is "legendary" and all and i know we all gotta give "props" or "daps" or respect or whatever you want to call it to the old school, but the fact is, the shit coming out of cali is truely innovative. the style is mind boggling. and the ability to do that while dangling from a bridge over traffic or on a highway sign covered in barbed wire, man, you cant compete with that. thats one thing i really like about cali shit, their choice of location. i see an ayer (RIP) piece in an insane spot and i ponder for hours, just how the fuck can a human do that? http://www.bastardartist.com i think ny has perfected old school, but la created new school.

everywhere something new is inovating . and i know that la has alot inovations than most places. and damn i give mad props to that guy ayer . how did he die any way. but if you go to any city you will see shit where people were hanging off bridges . but its not like im not giving cali respect cuz iam , thats just my opinion that new york is better. that ayer shit is mad crazy though . i only seen some of his stuff but all that i seen is awsome.

Hmmm.. Having walked the streets of both quite a bit, I'll go with NY. New York City is a graffiti kingdom. The streets are flooded with so much graf -- good and bad -- that it's inescapable. Dope fills, smooth pieces, beautifully drippy and clusterfucked tags all greet you practically everywhere in NYC. The scene never slows down either, writers are constantly emerging and the classic guys continue to rock. Granted, the mentality seen by LA writers is nuts, but heads like sane and ja were doing the "crazy thing" loooong ago. NY is just different. It's more about the amount of ups than it is the sickness of individual spots. That's just the scene's design.

SF on the other hand is pretty dope. If anything, it's the closest mirror of NY you'll find in the U.S.. A lot of writers even mingle between both cities (twist, amaze, setup, mq, etc..). It feels a little more like a melting pot of U.S. style than NY does. LA/Atlanta styles might be found in SF right next to a midwest-looking piece, around the corner from an NYC style fill-in. Not many other places can claim that type of diversity in such a small area. Plus there's a more profound sense of creativity in SF. Some of the writers take more time to bring art and originality into their style, which is cool shit too see.

I can't dis SF -- it's so lovely -- but nonetheless, I think the scene there can get slow at times & feel fairly small. Plus the Proposition 21 laws work really hard against big writers. In the end, I just think NY is doper.

I live in the Bay Area, and I look at NY like this unnattainable goal - last time I was there, I was too dumbfounded to even do anything. SF goes through phases too, while, it seems NY is consistent - but what do you think? Maybe it's the whole 'grass is greener' theory...

Guest Remy Martin

I would go with the theory that the west coast city on the level with NYC has to be LA, SF is a city very similar in design to NYC and out right tiny. LA however is a HUGE metro area, far bigger than the NYC metro area and has a graffiti culture going back to the fortys, not to mention its incredibally challenging place to write. In NYC I get the impression that street level fillins are the usual, while in LA you got full peices on heavens, bridges, billboards, and rooftops. Not to say that this doesnt happen in NYC, but in LA it seems to be the focus of the scene.

However, it seems stupid to chose one over the other as a preference. When you can probably learn immesnsely from both.

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

the bulk of sf graffiti has not been the work of sf natives in a long time, an out of towner can

take over sf in a few months <few??> .

new york is way doper.

people are always going to ny to bomb, but no one ever goes to LA to bomb, just because its too

hard. Nobody can come close to the level of LA's bombers.

GOOD point.

THAT REALLY IS A GOOD FUKN POINT........I AM ALL ABOUT PUSHING THE SF SCENE, BUT TRUTH BE TOLD......THATS A GOOD FUKN POINT

West Side

New York is alright. I can watch the Cope2 video or whatever and get pumped to bomb, but I don't really care for the style. All of the pieces in NY are legal, and the bombing and whatnot I have already seen in Subway and Spraycan Art. There are still cats in the West Coast that bomb w/ an NY style and mentality, but all in all, West Coast wins because on the West Coast, you see a lot of progression, and it doesn't stop. West Coast is the best coast.

Re: West Side

Originally posted by AbortionRingtoss

All of the pieces in NY are legal, and the bombing and whatnot I have already seen in Subway and Spraycan Art, [...] West Coast wins because on the West Coast, you see a lot of progression, and it doesn't stop. West Coast is the best coast.

Nope, this is just wrong.

In NY there ARE a shitload of illegal pieces and you have not seen current bombing because you have seen an almost 20 year old magazine. Progression also runs rampant in New York -- just look at Revs, one of the most innovative writers in history, and everything he's created. No disrespect to you or the West Coast, but these are facts.

Either way, it's just unfair to compare one city to an entire coast. But then again maybe not, since New York is such an all-encompassing city, which others aren't.

Guest Remy Martin

SF gets props for being the most liberal city in the world pretty much.

Its a beautifull place and also a very nice place to paint old buildings and stuff..the core population is under 900,000.

however you have heads from all over which makes it nice you know..especially after paying attention and what not for year after year..cause you see all kinds of styles come through and its a nice chill scene to paint. Its San Francisco, for its size the, rents it commands are maybe even higher than New York. New York is a incredible place as well. I think the thing that puts a city on par with New York is the heads in Los Angeles doing full end to end bridge panels. at 6-8 feet tall and around fifty long its comparable to a subway car, same goes for heavens alltough a bit smaller. Its a key part of the transportation scene out here, plus a lot are done without ropes and if you fall theres a good chance you will die....subway systems here are a joke pretty much and thousands upon thousands of people see bridges and stuff when it gets hit. much like the subway t to b's that ran throught the 80s.

I would love to see a NYC bomber come through and crush LA.

I got money on LA writers being able to crush NYC.

but its all good.

To me, a writer is a writer anywhere you go. Mentalities just evolve as a result of their surroundings. If somebody like Deck(NYC) had come up in LA and still gotten into graf, he'd probably be knocking out tons of overpasses and billboards instead of grates and corners. I think the same would be true if a head like GKAE had been from New York -- he'd be runnin' subway tunnels and catching fill-ins in every burrough.

Archived