Da Vinci Code

Guest nutsonmychin!

I found it funny that people protest this, when Dan Brown has obviously stated it's not anti-religion. Stated that it's a work of Fiction. All he said was that Opus Dei was real, Priory of Scion was real, and that there are some people that really think this is true.

On the other hand, noone protested Hitchhikers Guide, and that book LOUDLY poked fun at religion, said there was a race of people who actually believe they were sneezed into existance, and that they were waiting for the coming of the "Great White Hankerchief." And then in the MOVIE, potrayed them as Roman Catholics, and it want over every single one of you overzealous religious fuckwads tiny heads....

Douglas Adams was a DEVOUT athiest, wrote much better than Dan Brown, and made SERIOUS fun of religion in every book he wrote...

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife. "

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Most people believe the universe was created by some sort of God, although the Jetrivartid people of Viltvodle IV believe the universe was sneezed into existance by a being known as The Great Green Arklesiezure. The Jetrivartids, who are small blue creatures with over 50 arms each who are unique in being the only civilization ever who invented aeresol deoderant before the wheel, live in costant fear of a time the call. "The Coming of the Great White Hankerchief."

And so on, he also put this whole religion thing in view for me. Early man was looking out of his cave or whatnot, and here is a being who makes things. He makes tools for himself, he makes a dwelling for himself, he makes everything he uses. So he looks out of his cave, and he says to himsef, "Gee this place is great, it's got food, it's got water, it's got women to have sex with. It's just great.

Since early man was a person who makes things, he begins to think to himself, "Well who made all this then?". He's a man, and he's strong, so whoever made this must be a man too. So when something goes good this early man is thinking, "I must be doing something right here, whoever made this is giving me all these nice things" or if something bad happens he's thinking, "Well I must of been doing something wrong for him to be so mad at me."

And so religion...

But man believing the world is made for him, is along the lines of a puddle thinking a whole in the ground is made for him...

So there's a puddle of water in a hole in the ground. In one of it's more philosphical moments the puddle comments on how remarkable that the hole just happens to suit it so perfectly. Such a snug fit and all around perfect environment for this puddle that it figures that the hole must have been made just for it. When the sun comes out and the water starts to evaporate the puddle becomes worried but maintains it's faith that it was meant to exist so must exist and that the creator of the puddle will take care of it and protect it from the sun. It maintains this thought right up to the point where the last drop of water puffs into vapor.

I'm not trying to get too deep into this, have faith all you want. What I have faith in is that when I die, someone should play "I Am Immortal", the theme song for Highlander. That's what gets me through life, you need god, I need Highlander.

G

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEY! REALLY? ABOUT HHGTTG? You THINK you know how much you can be into it but, I have signed firsts of all of them (the HH series) plus so many peripherals your head ould spin.. so, I had plans to see it with my best friend and then he up nd died, so, I was distracted... after that I had other things to do and... now I've been wondering.

I just read a Salmon of Doubt about 2 weeks ago, gave it to another friend already... seriously, I MUST KNOW.

um, it is some sci fi nerd shit, there's jokes that aren't even jokes in it though so... kind of like monty python plus science... most Americans don't understand that Ford Prefect is a make of car... like a character named Lincoln Continental... but not as grandiose...

Perfectly Inconspicuous...

I'm a pretty big fan. I have all the books. I have multiple copies of all of them. My favorite is the Complete and Unabridged hardcover edition. Made to look like a bible. His jokes are obscure but you can get them if you know enough general information. I suggest reading the books first though. All of them. Including Dirk Gently and his writings from Salmon of a Doubt.

Then watch the movie.

G

the anti-christ is coming first to decieve the world.

that's basically why there are all these religious fanatics playing church so much nowadays. the world's preparing to whore after.

stick to reality, the words of God. not the words of man like Da Vinci Code.

Look at me! Im a man of world who can't read!

Douchebag.

look at you!

you're a moron who can't use grammar properly in his pathetic attempt to diss

sorry i was too busy readin science papers to get around to dan brown

Catheter.

the anti-christ is coming first to decieve the world.

that's basically why there are all these religious fanatics playing church so much nowadays. the world's preparing to whore after.

stick to reality, the words of God. not the words of man like Da Vinci Code.

Haha, yeah we were thinking the same thing! People are gunna start believing this shit....... and one day the anti-christ is gunna pop up and act like shes "SOPHIE: THE LAST OF GODS BLOOD LINES ON EARTH"... all these weirdos are gunna believe her and get the mark of the beast and etc and etc.

pffffffft & you know how it goes, page 400 in your bible and such.

If you have developed a healthy skepticism to not beleive institutionalized christianity and it's propagandized socio-political underpinnings, you have a healthy skepticism of any "antichrist" claiming to be the 2nd coming. You are also skeptical of G W Bush's claims of being chosen by God and performing the will of God. If anyone fits the antichrist stereotype it's our very own president that "faithful" and "true" christians are so proud of. But with a 32% approval rating I think it's safe to say that all but the most fundamental believers in the right wing party line have had their faith shaken by this man. True gnostics are far from being gullible trend followers.

basically, it states that Jesus was not a god because he got married to miss mary magdalene(sp?) and that the bible was 'compiled' in like 200-300 ad by a roman king. and that the catholic church has been covering it up ever since. and also that there were many other gospels etc.

fun fact-almost every one of the 'other' gospels was written way after jesus lived and were not first hand accounts. gospel of thomas /judas etc, were all about 200 years after jesus and were not even written by the people they are named after.

references.

I already know your sweeping "fun fact" is not true.

That's how life was before gutenberg and the glut of incunabula. We had medival monks toiling to transcribe by hand ancient texts. You might be surprised at what is locked away in the Vatican... And what faithful gnostics sometimes died to preserve.

Caesaropapism

Emperor Constantine, however, declined baptism until he was on his death bed. He also viewed himself as the overseer/bishop (the word "bishop" comes from the Greek episkopos "overseer") of external relations of the Christian Church. He decreed that the bishops gather at the First Ecumenical Council.

The Council of Nicaea was historically significant because it was the first effort to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all of Christendom.[2] "It was the first occasion for the development of technical Christology".[3] Further, "Constantine in convoking and presiding over the council signaled a measure of imperial control over the church."

The long-term effects of the Council of Nicaea were significant. For the first time, representatives of all of the bishops of the Church convened to agree on a doctrinal statement. Also for the first time, the Emperor played a role, by calling together the bishops under his authority, and using the power of the state to give the Council's orders effect. This was the start of the Constantinian shift, an entangling of church and state that still gives rise to debate today.

I saw the movie last night. I thought it was pretty cool. I first heard of the knights templar when i was in jr. high and have been hooked on this kind of thing ever since. I have always believed that jesus was more of a prophet with a great following than an actual son of god. Religion is so weird, I wouldnt doubt some sect of christianity being the secret holder to all mysteries regarding the faith.