do intellectuals annoy you?

lord_casek

are you annoyed by intellectuals?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nah, it's VERY clear cut.

To be obnoxious: Dont listen to the conversation. Don't pay attention to perspectives, motives, context, sarcasm, etc. Give your input about whatever because YOU find it relevant regardless to if it really is. Ramble incoherantly about stories your friend heard. Repeat off color catch phrases and standup routines you heard, out of context and without crediting who actually wrote them. Acknowledge nothing anyone says as right, understandable, or rational. Put people down or call them crazy when you don't understand something. Never laugh at yourself for being a douchebag. Cry a little inside every time someone tells you to shut up. And always, ALWAYS be about you.

Then vice versa.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ginger Bread Man

people are intimidated by knowledge or intellect if you will. this creates an automatic defense mechanism. they are going to fight you stupidly or just become super annoyed and drop it super quick. maybe even a bit of both.

mamero said it best

There's no clear-cut definition of when it's appropriate. Some people will find your corrections obnoxious, others won't. It's up to you to know how to handle the situation according to the people you're with. Most "know-it-alls" don't have a good grasp of this sense.

sp correction on the appropriate typo

"It's a dessert..."

"Actually, I think <b>I heard someone say</b> it was a plant once... but whatever. This shit tastes great. Did you make this from scratch?"

Point made without sounding like a self-informed asshole and a compliment to help them digest the information.

Life's a sales pitch... that or I'm just being a know-it-all.

Well, if you didn't give the whole story, how do you expect us to react accurately to it? From what you posted, you pointed out some detail (fine enough), but then after receiving some resistance, you keep at it, bringing up specifics like "it's a tuber". What's next, you're gonna pull up the species name and geographic location of primary farming grounds? Saying "I'm pretty sure it's a plant" is enough, leave it at that. C'mon, fucking arugula? Is it really worth arguing about what arugula is?

I'll repeat:

There's no clear-cut definition of when it's appropiate. Some people will find your corrections obnoxious, others won't. It's up to you to know how to handle the situation according to the people you're with. Most "know-it-alls" don't have a good grasp of this sense.

Which is why they go into IT.

haha. excellent points. i didn't go into detail because it was just an example. as i stated before, this really isn't about me. it's just a feeling i get when i tell someone (because i ahve to, it's my job. really. IT...) how to do something i sometimes get the strong feeling that they either feel intimidated by my knowledge, and as soup said, they get defensive,

or i get the feeling that they automatically don't like me because i happen to be knowledgeable about some thing or another.

i notice that in other people, too.

whereas, in life, if i don't know about something, i'm never ashamed of it. i'll always ask questions or research it myself. i try to avoid the jealousy, or disdain whatever.

anyhow, you did make some good points.

"It's a dessert..."

"Actually, I think <b>I heard someone say</b> it was a plant once... but whatever. This shit tastes great. Did you make this from scratch?"

Point made without sounding like a self-informed asshole and a compliment to help them digest the information.

Life's a sales pitch... that or I'm just being a know-it-all.

haha. excellent. you have to do that sometimes. ever read any anthony robbins stuff?

ever read any anthony robbins stuff?

hah. I don't even know who that is.

Bipolar chicks and work have been filling up the schedule as of the past couple months so I've been slacking on reading anything. The most recent shit I picked up was that Jeremy Fish book.. and that's just pictures.

Shit has happened since the beginning of time. People secretly fear intelligence and lash out. Attacking you to your face, while they secretly steal your ideas behind your back. Then you become Bill Gates and they start kissing your butt, but talk shit behind your back.

At least they still don't crucify people and burn them at the stake. Though the alternative may be worse.

i've got this beyotch in a lab downstairs who loves to put fucking signs everywhere.

we actually used to be kinda friendly, today it became apparent that she only wants to communicate via signage, and apparently she's trying to tell me she doesn't want me to work in the vicintity of her lab

now that sign shit, that's annoying

This is funny, because I think what was going on in this situation was that neither party was as informed as they thought they were, so they assumed that the other was stupid.

Arugala is an edible plant.

A rugalach is a dessert.

They're both foods, and pronounced the same, so people get them confused all the time. Your neighbors probably were annoyed because they were quite certain that the dessert they had just made for you didn't contain some crazy plant, and was called just what they said it was.

i've got this beyotch in a lab downstairs who loves to put fucking signs everywhere.

we actually used to be kinda friendly, today it became apparent that she only wants to communicate via signage, and apparently she's trying to tell me she doesn't want me to work in the vicintity of her lab

now that sign shit, that's annoying

So which one of you is the intellectual? And who did what to piss who off?

WE, THE 12OZ ALMIGHTY, DEMAND STORIES!

:discuss:

Thanks.

This is awesome, because it reminds me of my favorite "Overheard in New York" line.

Two teenagers enter subway.

Teen 1: Oh, shit, that sign says "Learn, beeyotch!"

Teen 2: Fool, that word is 'biotech'.

A rugalach is fucking delicious, by the way.

Fuck the plant.

If someone came to my house, and I shared something as delicious as a rugalach with them, and they had the gall to correct me about what it was, I would probably insist that they spit it out and leave.

they didn't share, they were eating it out of tin foil. seriously.

not even an offer. thanks for the correction. they did say arugula,

though.

stupid people hate being corrected, so do smart people

i have noticed that smart people are hated on when they are acting like pricks...constantly corecting others and being wiseasses offering their philosophies when no one cares

you just gotta know how to play it right

see harvey was being smart, but he aint hated cuz hes dropping knowledge

you gotta be more humble

Given certain new facts that have come to light, I'm going to retract my previous statement, and say thet your neighbors are stupid. And rude.

*And that that picture made me want a rugalach so bad, I'm going to call my girlfriend right now and tell her to pick one up for me on her way home from work. I'd go myself, but I'm sick.