This vicious world – the life of birds (w/ flicks)

shitting

Currawongs (uglier versions of magpies) nest and try to rear young every year in Figtrees on my street

Currawong.JPGCURRAWONG.jpg180px-Greycurrawong-l.jpg

Currawongs are cold blooded. To feed their young at this time of year they kill other birds, by ganking them with their beaks(Usually soldier birds and spotted turtle doves) They wedge the bodies in forked twigs and disembowel them to feed their young fresh meat. (I've been finding neat piles of entrails on the road, always below a freshly mutilated bird corpse).

008.jpg

the dove

miner1.jpg

soldier bird

Anyway as usual, this year the currawongs made a big nest high in the tree. (There are three of them – the two parents and a young one which is the only one the partners have successfully raised in recent years.) A few weeks ago I found two baby ones, culled from the nest, dead on the road – currawongs often cull their young to give the stronger ones a better chance of survival. things were running smoothly for fopr them untill 2 weeks ago when a pair of rare channel-billed cuckoos arrived as they have been doing seasonally this time of year. They come from far north Queensland and are massive and noisy and significantly more badass then currawongs

cbcu0201.jpg

They eat meat and like the whole cuckoo family they lay their eggs in the rests of other birds to trick them into rearing their young which then outgrow the birds' real chillens and eat them.

Anyway they stared beefing with the residents currawongs. For a whole day there was viscous and raucous fighting going down between the currawongs and the cuckoos. The ruckus climaxed in the afternoon and I went outside to watch. To the horror of the parents one of the cuckoos managed to climb into the nest and started stabbing the birds with its beak and pushing them out of the nest. The two young that were left fell out. One fell into lower branches and the other hit the road. It would have got run over so I took in. It was wounded and its squawking could not call its parents so I knew they given up on it in favour of the other baby so I gave it a quick death.

Anyway the next day the other bird fell out after trying to get back to the nest.

I took it in and it got very tame and eventually could fly a little bit. It's parents soon found it and fed it everyday. At night I would go out for a smoke and it would be there sitting on a chair sleeping. It got tame and would fly to us a bit and let us pick it up when its parents wern't watching to go psycho. They dive bomb you. (occasionally someone with a bloodied face tells you they've just been attacked by a magpie or currawong, for straying too close to a nest)

Last night I went out and saw it lying on the ground. It was still breathing so I thought it was just sleeping in a strange way so I went to get a camera. When I got back the bird was spasming sickeningly and trying to get up. I picked it up and tried to get it to perch but it wouldn’t so I put it down and it continued to lie so i knew it was fucked. My fingers had some blood on them so I thought a cat had mauled it. It was obvioulsy not going to make it so I picked it up to comfort it in its hour of need. I felt a sticky patch under its wing, I lifted it's wing up and saw a big hole, black with rot. it was flyblown, and hundreds of maggots were wriggling around in its insides.

I dropped it in disgust, it was being eaten alive so I put it out of its misery. I put the bird in a shoebox and took it to the back lane, doused it in metho to cleanse it and lit it up

RIP bra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Awesome. The only notice I usually take of magpies and currawongs when they're nesting is where the actual nest is so I know when to start waving a stick around my head. My brother got swooped years ago when he was riding his bike. He ducked to avoid it, fell down a hill, landed on a big mound of rocks and broke his collarbone. Sucker.

theres a corner of the street near a friends shop where a bird has a nest in a bush. anytime someone walks past, it flys down and smashes into the back of their head. we all like to sit there and point and laugh. it's a good time.

that was a sad story, but im learning to deal with the pain.

theres a corner of the street near a friends shop where a bird has a nest in a bush. anytime someone walks past, it flys down and smashes into the back of their head. we all like to sit there and point and laugh. it's a good time.

This happened at my place last year in the walkway between the front and back yard..

you'd have to run through or risk getting pecked on the back of the head... it got old real quick

I ran across a killdeer a few weeks ago.. this bird lays eggs on the ground..and if you get too close it acts hurt to lure you (predators) away by flopping around... when this didn't work on us and we were looking at its eggs, the bird ran back over to the nest and was ready to go at our ankles if we didn't retreat...

birds have no fear...

• 4 weeks later...
emus are really agro. some family friends were driven off an estuarine island that they had canoed to by a gang of angry emus

Yo did no one read this ? how many of you have had to flee from a small forested island inhabited by a family of crazy flightless birds ? damn...

i woulda definately gone back to settle to score ...