driving while eating

podrido

The Most Dangerous Foods

Tuesday May 2, 10:35 am ET

By Selena Maranjian

We all should know that a package of raw chicken forgotten overnight on a kitchen counter will become a dangerous food. We also likely know that blowfish is risky, able to kill its ingesters if improperly prepared. But a clean, well-made cup of coffee? Dangerous? As it turns out, it's all about where you drink it.

ADVERTISEMENT

if The folks at Insure.com, who focus on the exciting arena of insurance, recently released a list of "The 10 Most Dangerous Foods to Eat." Okay, that title actually included these words at the end: "While Driving." Still, danger is danger.

Their intent was to publicize how dangerous it can be to drive while eating and/or drinking. And we're not talking alcohol here -- coffee was No. 1 on the list, followed by hot soup. Before I share the list with you, here are some sobering statistics:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that distractions in cars caused about 25% of car crashes. The Response Insurance Agency surveyed drivers in 2000, finding that eating while driving was the No. 2 driving distraction (after fiddling with the radio and before turning to chat with passengers). Some 57% of drivers admitted to eating and driving. A 2001 survey of ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM - News) drivers found that nearly three-quarters eat while driving, up from 58% in 1995. A whopping 83% drink non-alcoholic beverages while driving. Some research suggests that dealing with spills and messes is even more troublesome than eating or drinking. Either way, dining at the wheel clearly leads to a lot of trouble.

Here is Insure.com's list of the top offenders:

Coffee

Hot soup

Tacos

Chili

Hamburgers

Barbecued food

Fried chicken

Jelly or cream-filled donuts

Soft drinks

Chocolate

This issue is a big deal. It doesn't just cause damage or death -- it costs us all money. More accidents mean that either we or insurance companies are picking up the tab. Insurance companies are aware of the problem and are looking into what they might do about it. You can learn more about the less-dangerous-but-still-critical topic of insurance in our Insurance Center. You may not have thought about some kinds of insurance, such as disability or long-term care insurance, but they're vital for many people. And, of course, properly insuring your property is vital, too. Take a little time to learn more. You may be very happy you did, especially if some calamity occurs in the future.

seriously

who in their right mind would eat hot soup while driving?

the only food i have ever been able to eat while driving was a burrito from tacobell.

burrito03.jpg

and maybe a slice of pizza but i eat most of it before i even start driving. any other type of food is way too messy to try and eat while driving.

now as for drinking and driving well lets just say ive never had aproblem doing that.

beerhat.jpg

deeznuts

i mean discuss:shakehead:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

taco bell soft tacos work good too because you can roll them up tight and avoid spillage.

We got pulled over not too long ago, coming home after about 10 Heinikens each and fully scarfing taco bell... and apparently driving erratically. So, anyway, we pull to the curb, cop comes up and sees the food and asks for the papers. So I find the registration and stuff and I hand it over (it's in this booklet type thing)... So, the cop opens it and all this green vegetable matter kinda spills out. So, immediately, the cop gets wiseass, saying "Oh, and I suppose that's lettuce that just fell out of the book?" to which I deadpan reply, "Nope, that's pistachios..." and it was... so they hassled us for a while and sent us on our way... and to commemorate our victory we cracked a couple more beers and sparked it.

I used to get up before dawn on the regular to drive in some retarted ass traffic giving me an average speed of 30mph so I would eat breakfast in my car every day. I've found that dunkin donuts is the most driver friendly. The coffee lids are pretty much dummy proof, and their sandwiches rarely fall apart on you. The only drawback is that they don't have drivethrough.

The GIMP, makros?

Awesome program.

Anywho, hambugers? Check it, I've been in a wreck on my way to get a hamburger, but never while eating one. So unless the hamburger that I was about to buy set me up, I don't think it played any part.

Also, I've never gotten in a wreck while drunk, but I have while completely sober, so I decided that driving sober is a bad idea for me. Not that I follow through, but it's a theory.

-fuse.

Also' date=' I've never gotten in a wreck while drunk, but I have while completely sober, so I decided that driving sober is a bad idea for me. [/quote']

My brother insists he drives better while drunk, and form what i've seen it's true

hey, if i'm in a hurry hell yea I'm going to eat while driving.

I actually did it this morning.. drank my iced latte while i ate my bagel, all whilst doing 85mph +.

Those who crash just suck at driving..

hey, if i'm in a hurry hell yea I'm going to eat while driving.

I actually did it this morning.. drank my iced latte while i ate my bagel, all whilst doing 85mph +.

Those who crash just suck at driving..

chai tea iced latte?