Boss troubles

Issac Brock

This is kindof a long read I guess. If you've had a shitty job before, maybe you can sympathise and read it.

I work at a restaurant washing dishes. For 5-8 hours I take heaps of dishes and rinse and run them through the kitchen dishwasher on trays and take stacks of dishes and pile them up near the cooks, then go out to the eating area and get more dishes from the bustubs and repeat. At the end of the day I clean the kitchen.

Recently I've been considering lightly getting rid of this shitty job for an easier one because of a few reasons.

• I'm making minimum wage, nothing I can't make anywhere else.
  • My hours are only saturdays and sundays, from the afternoon until about 11 when we finally clean everything and close up, so my weekends suck almost as much as my weekdays.
  • Its hard, boring work.

I like the people there for the most part, at least I have so far (I've been working there since about january). Today that changed a bit though.

What happened is even somewhat embarassing to say, because its so ridiculously stupid. My boss and another cook were chasing a waiter to fuck with him i guess and I was passing by bringing some clean dishes to where they need to go, and they were like "get em!" and I just didn't do anything because...well..I guess I don't like to grab people and pick on them like I'm 10 years old. So they were like "OH SHIT YOURE ROLLIN WITH HIM NOW I SEE HOW IT IS."

And because of this, my boss decided to rotate the entire line of the kitchen, which basically means he took every single component that makes up the kitchen line and stacked it up for me to wash, even when there wasn't any room. He took every pot, pan, peice of equipment, everything that can be removed from the grill, everything, and stacked it up. It was piled so high that I could barely remove dishes and things onto a rack to wash them. Some of them were still 400 degrees, so I couldn't even move those. They found this hilarious. They created a 2 hour job for me to do for no fucking reason.

I'd like to point out that they did this when there was already plenty of shit I needed to do BEFORE they added that shit on. My friend and other dishwasher had to come help and stay longer than he was planning on. He told me that they had never done that before ever, and he has worked there for 2 and a half years.

I angrily asked my boss "Was there an actual reason you decided to do that?" and he said "I like to rotate the line about once a week." I said "No you don't, Mike just said that you have never done that before, and I have never seen you do that. You did it to make my job harder for no fucking reason." He said "hey man, if you don't like the way things work around here, you know where the door is, and I can get another dishwasher in here."

So, I'm scheduled to work tommorow (sunday). Do I tell him to find himself a new dishwasher? I was ready to wait until my friend left early and then say "I hope you like doing dishes" and leave the whole fucking thing for him to do. I didn't though for whatever reason and finished my work for the night, figuring it would be the last time I'd have to do it. I really want to quit.

Dicsuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

get rid of that shitty job and get a HARDER one. Yeah, you bust ass and fungus is everywhere and it stinks plus the people suck... but that's not gonna change, just go out for bigger money, different fungus, funnier odors and folks that suck more. That's what it means to have a career.

Nobody has ever had a career that stayed in a Dishroom, but a ton have come from there... so RUN BITCH!

if he answers you it's gonna be from wikipedia... get out of the dishroom... go ANYWHERE you think you want to work, and have a basic knowledge of and breakdown in front of a secretary... BEG, say "Give mea job! I work in a shithole washing dishes! I'm smarter than that and can do what you do! Ask me a question!..."

And that's how life works on the job front, shut up and get on it.

your boss likes the smell of his own farts huh? well if you have the time and resources you could maybe get into a long legal battle with him that you would probably lose (because you are a dishwasher) but hopefully not if there is any justice left in the world. often justice is for the rich. but that doesn't mean you can't complain alot to the labor department. i would definately want to quit too. you might want to start looking for another job first though since that could be rough, the economy is shit, and a single missing paycheck on minimum wage can knock your whole card castle down to the ground.

what a fucking prick.

it's a cold world.

at least he's just in high school. it gets crazy trying to hold shit down on your own with shit income. I would suggest trying to get into trades if you can. Try to find someone who will apprentice you. i'm not sure what jobcorp does but you are young enough to get into that shit.

ive worked at a food establishment doing dishes and cleaning among other things, so i know what you're going through, except the ppl at my job were dope.

my suggestion to you is, look for a job while you are still employed. Once youve secured another better job, THEN quit.

I too am a dishwasher alumni. I hated every minute of it. But I'm telling you this, that shit is the lowest of the low. You can get another job, ANY job that is better than that. You';re in highschool, there's millions of menial, minimum wage crappy jobs for highschool kids. Hell you can have my old one, I decided on Friday that I won't be coming in on Monday. Or Tuesday. Or any day for that matter. And I haven't told them, so they're fucked. So that's what I recommend, just don't show up. You'll get the satisfaction of leaving a terrible job as well as knowing that there's absolute chaos because of it.

Man, go find a gig in construction or shit like that..you get mad cash later on when you get better and yard dogs ofr lumber sites are awesom..

I used to do that shit till I hated drywall so mutch I would kill someone..but I made hella cash. now I work in a deli..hoorah

i would try to secure a job first, then quit that shit...like dude said above

if u've been there washing dishes since jan., it's about time u jump to another job. i could only imagine what kind of bs that kind of work is. and ur boss, he can go fuck himself.

if i were in ur position, i'd go in, wait for ur fiend to leave early, then bounce also like u said. fuck the reference. i had a job at the movie theatres in highschool... typically the nerdiest job out there... but they paid higher than minimum wage, and i got to see free movies and eat hotdogs all day.

minimum wage jobs suck, cuz it's all the grunt bullshit work... just get some experience here and there, and u'll come across a dope job. i'll buy u a beer if we meet. holler

my boss is the chillest dude in the world.Since i travel all across nyc for work i only see him maybe once a month , 2 if its a busy month.Sometimes i dont even talk to him for a week straight.And he NEVER gets mad, I think i would have to murder a few coworkers for him to actually get mad.And he used to be a hippy when he was young and still smokes weed till this day.And for one month in the summer he takes the whole month off and trys to see a ball game in every mlb baseball stadium in the country

you could come work with me. I could put you on my team. Show you whats up and you could make 5-600 a week in no time. The boss is chill. You are entirely unsupervised. Plus... Plus you could hollar at walls on the job. All i do is talk to people. 250 people per day

I was ready to wait until my friend left early and then say "I hope you like doing dishes" and leave the whole fucking thing for him to do. I didn't though for whatever reason and finished my work for the night, figuring it would be the last time I'd have to do it. I really want to quit.

Dicsuss.

Oh shit, you should of done this

That would of pissed me off. Real.

man, i'm a dishwasher alumni too man. shit sucked. i worked in a place that had ice cream take out too, and washing hot fudge pots and butterscotch pans is a pain in the ass as well. i woulda walked the fuck out on that shit no questions asked, when he told you where the door was, you should have taken the option. he would have run after you and at the least apologized, because if theres one thing i learned, the guy running the place thinks he's wayyyyy too good for dishes.

www.craigslist.org

go there. Tons of jobs that are a lot better than dishwasher.

I took hate my job, but sometimes ya gotta suck it up for the moment and just keep looking for something better...

on the other hand, youre in highschool. I'd say walk out on a super busy day.

Yeah, see like most people have said, I knew that there is really nothing worse than this job. Also, I'd walk out on a busy day, but usually there's more than one dishwasher, so I'd really only be hurting him, not my boss.

Detroit is hurting in the job department. I left that joint a long time ago. Top places to find work in this country these days from what I've seen is: DC (high cost of living though, but it's the fastest growing metro area in the country right now), Atlanta, New York (high cost of living), and I think Chicago is doing decent as well. Phoenix is booming (but there is an impending water crisis) and Las Vegas (at least as far as real estate goes, otherwise I dunno). Probably LA and SF are straight but expensive as well.

At least when Clinton was in office I didn't have too much trouble finding menial wage slavery work.

There's always the military. Even if you got a rap sheet a mile long, as long as it's not felonies. Sometimes they even take felons. Sometimes. More likely the marines or army though. Navy and air force are more strict on that shit.

I can relate, I work a shit job in the Detroit area as well.....get something lined up before you quit that shit....decent jobs out here seem to be a rarity. My boy offered me to hook me up with a 40hr a week, 7 an hour job at a threading shop or whatever, but with gas and everything I would break even with what I make now.