west coast trainzzz.

FLIXXX

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those of you that dont know, even if you've been painting trains for a hundered million years, RAILBOX is a POOLING company. which means, many of the cars are leased for a specific amount of time by particular companies, and when the lease is up, RAILBOX takes back the cars (sometimes repainting them) and leases them to other companies. many leases are single trip leases while others could be years long hence the reason you might see some of the same trains returning to your yard often(this goes for many other railroads and pooling companies). the advantage of railbox being a nationwide (including canada) pooling company is that they have the opportunity to end up anywhere. and if you pay the least bit of attenttion to other peoples graf, you'll notice railboxes have folks from all over on them. though the railbox company is known for a very harsh buff, they do travel and if painted properly, will ride for quite awhile despite what many believe. the "every-three-year buff" is a myth! don't buy into it. at one time railbox was trying to combat graffiti onsite (meaning repair shop or collection yards per their terms with the railraod holding the car) but that proved too costly and the effort was abandoned. now, railbox deals with welding marks and number restamps. dont get me wrong, if you catch a buffer on a bad day, they'll give it you, but dont let the myths discourage you. all in all, i love RAILBOXES...they're like easy woman, they get around and everyone has a chance with them...

for those of you that dont know, even if you've been painting trains for a hundered million years, RAILBOX is a POOLING company. which means, many of the cars are leased for a specific amount of time by particular companies, and when the lease is up, RAILBOX takes back the cars (sometimes repainting them) and leases them to other companies. many leases are single trip leases while others could be years long hence the reason you might see some of the same trains returning to your yard often(this goes for many other railroads and pooling companies). the advantage of railbox being a nationwide (including canada) pooling company is that they have the opportunity to end up anywhere. and if you pay the least bit of attenttion to other peoples graf, you'll notice railboxes have folks from all over on them. though the railbox company is known for a very harsh buff, they do travel and if painted properly, will ride for quite awhile despite what many believe. the "every-three-year buff" is a myth! don't buy into it. at one time railbox was trying to combat graffiti onsite (meaning repair shop or collection yards per their terms with the railraod holding the car) but that proved too costly and the effort was abandoned. now, railbox deals with welding marks and number restamps. dont get me wrong, if you catch a buffer on a bad day, they'll give it you, but dont let the myths discourage you. all in all, i love RAILBOXES...they're like easy woman, they get around and everyone has a chance with them...

damn...you come serious with the knowledge.

i feel as if im having a conversation w/ goose!

haha, i've just been around the railroad for a long time. it's good to know what you're painting and it where it may end up...golden wests (the old VCY GVSR's) used to be predominantly west coast. when a few years ago the leases with galveston railroad (gvsr) and ventura county rr (vcy) went up, UP took back the cars ending the ten year reign and began sending golden wests all over (galveston and ventura were west coast shippers). thats why you see alot of golden wests restamped to SP SSW DRGW for example, those are all old reporting marks owned by the rio grand (drgw) and southern pacific (sp ssw) now owned by Union Pacific. UP couldnt restamp all the cars with UP #'s so they brought back all the old reporting marks. similar to the Pan Am situation, but not quite. anyway, my point is that times are changing and if you know what you're painting, you wont end up being just the king of your coast, but possibly a king of the nation. good luck.

heres an ssw restamp of a golden west...

be95afdf.jpg

here's an SP restamp of a golden west...

d7ff50c2.jpg

here's an old GVSR still running...

8d2eccfd.jpg

just an amazing picture by me of a golden west thats seen better days...

68e79e9d.jpg

here's another classic gvsr holdover...from the mid nighties

e5861224.jpg

heres a VCY holdover...

579fa8b7.jpg

and heres a restamped GVSR, so, they're still out there...enjoy while you can...they will be gone...

2350833b.jpg