BITER thread!

STYLEISKING

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE FAB 5 FREDDY DEBATE CONTINUES

Posted on September 28, 2011 by jerseyjoeart

Revok recently pulled Fab 5 Freddy’s card calling him a biter and a fraud (check Revok’s blog post HERE). This accusation has drew a line in the sand with people opposing and supporting Fred’s work.

fab5iswack.jpg?w=580

206629_4605508985_552578985_98573_1969_n.jpg?w=580

In this email Shoe talks of the good ol’ days in NYC and how it’s all supposed to be. How MSK style graffiti is wack and how we should all bow down to his expansive knowledge of graffiti…

Why Fab 5 Freddy deserves his check before Sever gets his

By Shoe CIA.

Any graffiti writer that didn’t bomb trains in New York during the 70′s and 80′s should shut the fuck up. Period.

Everybody in the culture knows this.

I realize it’s somewhat of a paradox whilst writing this, but when I read this lame attack on graffiti icon Fab 5 Freddy by Revok I was too tempted to break this unwritten law.

In New York, in the the 80′s, there was graffiti and there was hip hop culture. They were one. Futura was hanging out with The Clash, Keith Haring was designing record sleeves for Malcolm McLaren and Blondie sang “Fab Five Freddie told me everybody’s fly, DJ’s spinning I said my, my. Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois sais pas, Flashe no deux. Nobody knew what that meant (still don’t) but it did made the world spin faster. Dondi did the video for Buffalo Gals and the rest is history.

About ten years later, kids in Germany and Califonia got the message (partly) and started to do their ‘awesome’ letter styles.

Catch my drift? That airbrushy-fantasy nonsense is going nowhere. When Bando and I where concentrating on the basics of letters and rocking silvers all across Europe, these soon-to-be graffiti fascists were still in diapers.

So, let it be known that when kings like Futura and Lee decide to do a show with Fab Five Freddy you have only one thing to do.

Bow down.

NSM

ps.

That suggestion of bitten letters has no foundation whatsoever.

———–

the-exchange-from-here-to-fame-13.jpg?w=580

My response to Shoe…

Niels,

You are completely out of line sending this response out and attacking our work to justify your claims. If our work is “airbrushy-fantasy nonsense that goes nowhere” why did you ask to have our work in your gallery? And why did you come down to LA pushing to collaborate with our crew / Known Gallery in some fashion? Shame on you and your out of touch idea of what graffiti is.

Your idea of this magical hip hop rainbow over New York City during the 70′s and 80′s can only be believed by a naive European like yourself. I’m from New York, born there, lived there, and started writing there. My idea of graffiti and the people that do it is not some sort of distant fantasy, that was by chance packaged in a digestable way, and exported to my town. It was happening and was not as sacred and pure as you make it out to be. Anyone is open to being called out for direct plagiarism. There is nothing sacred or divine about so called hip hop or those who peddle it to the world.

You’re from the countryside of Holland. You happened to go to a Dondi art show and copied that style and are now trying to claim it as your own? I was never influenced by you or Bando whatsoever. Credit Dondi’s canvas work before yourself, and even then you are still out of the loop going 20+ years. You have an outsiders view about graffiti post 1989 and have lost any true understanding of lettering style, trends, or concepts; so your opinion is worthless.

(Below) Fab 5 Freddy steals a Yes 2 “Y” and an “S” & “E” from Sever out of The Exchange book

img_0247-1.jpg?w=580

(Below) Aroe, Sever, & Yes 2, Los Angeles,2007. Notice the Yes 2 “Y”

1363944181_8da0c83ec5_b.jpg?w=580

Despite our differences in opinion here are the facts:

Fab 5 Freddy helped to bring graffiti and Hip Hop into the mainstream with “Wildstyle”, music act tie-ins, and hosting Yo MTV Raps. Not really a writer himself, he did hang around with a lot of notable writers and helped to make shit happen. I grew up watching him introduce music videos and respect his contributions. Just like you Neils, Fab 5 Freddy is completely out of touch with modern graffiti. This would be okay if not for his attempts at making art out of current peoples art.

Fact: Creating art for the Three Kings art show, Fab 5 Freddy took a copy of The Exchange book, cut out pieces in the book, poorly collaged them together and ran them through generic filters in photoshop. From there he digitally printed it all onto canvas. The work cut out from the book was used as the centerpiece within each printed canvas. No mention of The Exchange book, the writers work he used or anything related was given by Fab 5 Freddy. Besides Sever, Freddy used parts of a Yes 2 piece done in Los Angeles in 2007, Rime / Bates exchange piece done in Sweden in 2008, an Aroe / Sever exchange piece done in LA in 2007, and others.

(Below) Another Fab 5 Freddy piece using a Rime exchange piece cut out from The Exchange book

img_0116.jpg?w=580

(Below) Rime/ Bates exchange painted in Malmo Sweden in 2008.

rime-1.jpg?w=580

This would be cool if he knew whose work he was using, gave credit and explained his intentions. As far as I know he has done none of that and most likely wouldn’t know where to begin.

Joe

——–

and

Revok’s response to Shoe…

Shoe,

Eventually you & I will meet face to face, when we do PLEASE tell me to “shut the fuck up”

R.

found here:

http://jerseyjoeart.com/2011/09/28/the-fab-5-freddy-debate-continues/

A few things i find funny.......in the context of this situation

1. The amazing and pervasive level of blatant PLAYER HATING aimed at the MSK/AWR/7th fam

2. I bet any writer defending FAB, that had his/her letters straight up copied and "collaged" onto a FAB canvas and then being sold as "original" for scrilla would be "pulling cards" the same way.....shoe included.

3. How important originality was in the 70's/80's in new york, and how harshly biters were treated.

4. The real beef with this issue is FAB not simply acknowledging where he referenced the letters from.

5. FAB prolly just grabbed up the book and cherry picked what he thought was fresh, how ironic he went for that MSK lasagna.

6. myself and 12oz blah blah blah

i could go on, but no......I'm not arguing......i'm discussing.:cool:

WHAM! says:

September 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Damn right. I havent been into this game long and i can totally see that was a blatant bite. anyone who understands can see that those are the exact letters posted on. no mention of any artists work being borrowed was mentioned so i dont get what the fuck he’s saying when you clearly see the truth infront of you. I thinks its a case of a liar not wanting to be seen as a liar.

koala kush says:

September 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm

revok,

i’ll take the heat and squash this mother fucking toy.

Zilla says:

September 29, 2011 at 12:15 am

REVOKS G!!!! Fab 5=biter. I wanna hear his response

Tare says:

September 29, 2011 at 1:46 am

That is a very well written, composed and factual response Joe! The images are there, clear as day, and he has been called out for what he’s done, point final!

When starting out in the magical world of writing, i was very impressed and influenced by both SHOE and BANDO (growing up on the german border w france further emphasized this) n remember aweingly scrutinizing every piece i could get my eyes on in the 1TOX magazine – but this response by SHOE made me lose alot of respect for him; standing up and defending clear cut plagiarism is just retarded. Anyway, good for you and REVOK for telling things like they are. Yo.

Tare.

Shlags says:

September 29, 2011 at 6:15 am

It’s so clearcut, someone who’s not even a writer would be able to see the plagiarism. Good response Rime, I like Revoks though.

Embarassment says:

September 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

The Soup Car wallpapered canvas above with the Rime/Bates Exchange bit has the entire piece Sever produced for Aroe just minus the E just rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees. Lazy.

Mando says:

September 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Damn shame. First rule in college is no plagiarism, whether it be graphic design or english. It’s a basic rule of ethics. Give Credit. Plain and simple. I think if that’s his style, to pull and mix n match and collage, so be it. Just give credit.

Mokum says:

September 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hmm, people might argue, but talking shit on Shoe is fucking bullshit, he is one of the first big writers in Europe. He wrote together with Quik, Bando and other legends.

Please do a bit of research before YOU start yelling random shit about someone.

Ps; he still writes

koala kush says:

September 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm

i guess you like shoe up your ass.

Southern boy says:

September 30, 2011 at 1:59 am

And that`s an excuse to talk BULLSHIT? Grachtengordelgraffiti bullcrap! Respect for what he has done but this guy always had that air problem.

Eddie says:

September 30, 2011 at 8:35 am

TEAM SHOE AFCA

Mobs. says:

September 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm

haha what lame toy that niels shoe …… take fab fives dick outa ya mouth….hahha

haha revok do ya thhaaang

RevokOnerYo says:

September 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

revok fucking yank, with your awesome stories about getting chased by helicopters, fbi and laserrobotdogs

P. says:

September 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm

FAKE 5 FREDDY

tia says:

September 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm

what a useless cunt. steals his art from respectable and great artists…. the least he could of done was make it look half decent.

Emc 1479 says:

September 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Sure, when I was a french teenager, I was impressed by the style of Shoe in the 90′. But it’s not enough. Famous doesn’t mean wise, or smart. Everybody knows that graffiti have no rules, just facts. And in this case facts and pictures say the truth : Revok is right and Shoe is sooooo wrong ! No respect for Fab 5 Freddy after that. And no respect for Shoe to. If you want respect, forget galleries and go back to work dude…

Pingback: MSK Crew vs. Fab 5 Freddie & Niels 'Shoe' Meulman | hypes are us / hypesrus.com

Fab 5 biting toy says:

September 30, 2011 at 12:19 am

WTF.

Bow down for Fab5 ,Futura and Lee..

Ok Lee is cool and real..Futura is a posing wannabe art fool who never did shit,exept for his one whole car published in the book,and Fab 5.zero..that toy never even did a train at all..so fuck that..

I ll give more credit to Sever then to those posers from NY…the real NY bombers never goy any attention in the films and books…FUZZ..PART…JESTER..IN… IZ..etc

Bob Design says:

September 30, 2011 at 2:55 am

It is clear that Shoe has no idea what he is talking about, despite being a well respected writer in Europe his comments on ‘Hip Hop’ and ‘Graffiti’ are utter bullshit and he is contradicting himself. All the people he mentions are cool with me in terms of exposing the movement and making it mainstream but are basically ‘Culture Vultures’. Feeding on it’s bones to make a name and money for themselves.

Futura was in the army when writing really developed and he decided to start again as basically an old man. As far as I am concerned neither he or Fab 5 Fraudulent ‘bombed’ trains as they painted what one car each? Keith Haring never bombed a train as far as I know and every one knows Malcolm Mclaren is the worlds greatest cultural thief, that was his whole schtick. Blondie are a great New Wave band but doing one song referencing what was happening in the Bronx does not make you a Hip Hop icon.

Basically in Hip hop and Graffiti biting is forbidden and that is what Fab 5 has done so Shoe needs to ‘Shut the Fuck Up’. Or what next? Writing a letter to Grandmaster Caz telling him to STFU about Sugarhill stealing his rhymes for Rappers Delight?

AFCA says:

September 30, 2011 at 3:57 am

Fuck Shoe and Fab 5 Freddy, the fist one hasn’t done shit for ages and the second one is a faker who’s lucky enough to have been there from the start. Fred never was a writer to begin with, only thing i remember is that crappy Campbell soup can piece. But yet Shoe and Freddy are the first ones to apear when there’s something to be told about the scene, good to see people telling it like it really is.

OOO says:

September 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

I rarely comment or contribute in graffiti discussions. But I had to reply in this one.

first off, it makes me ashamed to be from Amsterdam and see Shoe’s reply. The guy (even though he’s on of my youth heroes. And a true european graffiti pioneer) made some bullshit statements. The biting is obviously, everybody see’s that. Secondly, the statements he made about the so-called “msk” style are way out of line, just like you said. Personally, Im not always a fan of what you guys are doing, . But I respect others opinion and taste about style and lettering. And I like you guys sense of humour. (:

Secondly, I know Rime is American and most visitors will probably be American, but still, people, please learn some history, before calling Shoe a toy, an idiot, or whatsoever. The guy made more impact on this whole culture than you probably ever will do.

and last but not least. Revok should grow up, he accuses someone of biting (whether this is true or not). Get’s a harsh reply back (again, it doesnt matter if the statements in the reply are true or not), and immediately jumps in school-yard-thug-modus. Grow up man, how old are you? Do you really need to act like this to justify what you’ve said? If you know you’re right, why even bother replying. And if you really feel the need to reply. do it like adults do, with well stated arguments. Grow up.

Peter says:

September 30, 2011 at 7:46 am

What can I say…SHOE and his crewmates made me fuckin’ ejaculate in the 80′s. But I’ m slowly reaching the point of no return where my admiration voor SHOE will be flushed down the toilet for real. His denail of the fact there were sooo many talented writers in Holland outside of Amsterdam already been buggin’ me for years…..as does his high & mighty attitude.

Niels should realize he had a lot of momentum at that point in time….the fact he and his boys lived in the direct surroundings of the first graffiti exposition in Amsterdam….the fact his folks had crazy cash and supported his hobby…the fact he ran into BANDO in Paris. It wasn’ t just your mighty skills Niels that brought you all the fame. Hell….JOKER USA owned your ass stylewise but lacked graffiti entrepeneurism I guess.

Trust me…a LOT of writers in even Holland think like this.

You would be a definite icon within the international graffiti scene if you weren’ t such a asshole.

Your writing on this subject of Fab5 isn’ t holy scripture…it’ s far from that…it lacks good motivation and certain statements are simply laughable.

Go do some typography and shut the fuck up….

fucKING SHOE says:

September 30, 2011 at 8:23 am

good times, better times,bad times, BITTER times…

Senck says:

September 30, 2011 at 8:26 am

Cant happen to actually like the old pieces from Shoe indeed very much, but knowadays more known for his other thing in lettering…

But knowadays pieces since ever from Revok are that highly flamable that I do like his pieces more! Even more then that awesome style from wayback…

I would ask both of you: Battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tav says:

September 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

Shoe shut tha fuck you Dutch toy……. You style been suckin since day one WTF do you think you are blow ya self is what you need to do

from here:

http://jerseyjoeart.com/2011/09/28/the-fab-5-freddy-debate-continues/

YA'LL BITERS,

ALL YA'LL HOMEBOYS ARE BITERS!

YOU'RE WACK,

SO WHAT's UP WITH THAT!

YO,

WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT,

I AIN'T NEVER STOLE NO MOVES FROM YOU,

ALL YOUR MOVES AIN'T WORTH THE BIT,

SO WHAT's UP WITH THAT PUNK?

(SECURITY BITES A SODA CAN TO SCARE THEM.)

NOW THAT's A BITER!

beatstreet1.jpg