Ecko leads lawsuit against NYC

mindvapors

SEVEN young artists sued New York City today over its strict anti-graffiti law, saying it violated their constitutional right to free speech.

The group, backed by fashion designer Mark Ecko, argued in federal court that the city went too far by banning people under 21 from possessing spray paint or broad-tipped markers. Gabriel Taussig, a lawyer for New York City, said the law "strikes a proper constitutional balance between the First Amendment rights (to free speech) and the need to control the long-standing plague of graffiti".

The law took effect at the start of the year.

City Councilman Peter Vallone, who sponsored the law and has sparred with Ecko over the issue, accused the designer of hiding behind free speech rights to promote his video game and brand name.

The city said its aggressive police tactics, which combat even minor vandalism to send a message that no law-breaking will be tolerated, have helped dramatically lower crime.

Mr Vallone wants to permanently erase the image of New York in the 1970s and 1980s, when graffiti, much of it obscene, covered subway cars and many buildings. "Graffiti is on the rise. It's becoming glorified again. We don't have the police we used to and those we have are concentrating on terrorism," he said.

Ecko disagreed: "An 18-year-old can buy cigarettes, vote, and go into the army, but he can't buy a can of spray paint in Manhattan. It's silly."

The feud between Ecko and Mr Vallone erupted last year when Ecko launched a video game featuring graffiti art and later got a city permit for a "block party" that included painting graffiti on mock subway cars. Mr Vallone saw it as a corporate promotion of Ecko's video game.

The suit names Mr Vallone and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, saying they have "waged a personal war against graffiti art and graffiti artists, fuelled by their personal, subjective distaste for the art form".

link.

i wouldnt be caught wearing his "graffiti inspired" clothing, buti'm kinda confused myself as to what ecko's motive really is. sorry if already posted, article says this was done today. discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm reading the comments on Fark, some people just don't read articles.

2006-04-26 12:59:34 AM crazyeddie [TotalFark]

Hey ass-helmets,

Spraypainting other people's stuff with your vapid "expressions" is not your right. Grow up.

Maybe one day when you get a job and stop leeching off society, you'll own some piece of shiate house. If (not when) you do, I'll personally come over and spray it with my 'marker.' Morans.

/Would love to spraypaint every "graffiti artist" in the face.

I'm reading the comments on Fark' date=' some people just don't read articles.[/quote']

I went and read all that shit...god I wish I could encounter some of these people in real life. "I'd love to catch the jerk spray painting my wall, blah blah blah, scum of society, kill them all blah blah". I'd love for you to come up to me while I'm paintin so I can smash you in the fuckin temple with a can

guy has probably never caught a tag without a camera crew and set up wall.

READY!....................

and

ACTION!

*mark approaches the wall and catches a shitty tag that everyone would laugh at*

The End.

to SpreadAIDS: i think he's admitted that he's never really gotten up, moreso i think he said something like "i've never got my art out of my garage but...i went on to be a millionaire so BOO YAH" basically.

graffiti

noun

Etymology: Italian, plural of graffito

: the illegal or unauthorized defacing of a building, wall or other edifice or object by painting or otherwise marking it with words, pictures or symbols.

i was born 30 years too late. bah.

I honestly liked some of his early tee designs that were back when he blackbooked them, then the entire Echo line blew up and became a fad. Once something becomes a fad its destined to go out sooner or later.

If he wants to start marketing freedom of expression, why not start sponsoring writers?

From the same site, but for more interesting:

Chinese needing bigger bras

April 25, 2006

BRA producers have been forced to offer bigger cup-sizes in China because improved nutrition is busting all previous chest measurement records.

"It's so different from the past when most young women would wear A- or B-cup bras," Triumph brand saleswoman Zhang Jing told the Shanghai Daily from the Landmark Plaza of China's commercial hub.

"You...never expect those thin women to have such nice figures if they are not plastic."

The report, seen on the daily's website on today, said that the Hong Kong-based lingerie firm Embry Group no longer produces A-cups for larger chest circumferences and has increased production of C-, D- and E-cup bras to meet pressing demand.

The Beijing Institute of Clothing Technology released a report last week saying the average chest circumference of Chinese women has risen by nearly 1cm (0.4 inch) to 83.53 cm (32.89 inches) since the early 1990s, the daily said.

This phenomenon, it said, was due to women eating more nutritiously and taking part in more sport.

Advertisement:

Similar growth in the average height of children prompted a rethink last year in Beijing on the height allowance for free bus rides.

I dont think you guys are understanding what this is about. It has been illegal for years to sell paint and markers to people under 21. This issue is about it being illegal for anyone under 21 to HAVE markers or paint. If you are under 21 and have that stuff in your possession then you are getting bagged. Learn to read you nerdicks.