i should re-consider a culinary degree

beardo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I know someone who is a personal chef for a guy and his wife. He to their house around 7am and prepares breakfast. He makes them both lunch and then he preps dinner and preps the next morning's breakfast. He's off work everyday by 3 and he makes fat coin.

*they actually cook their own dinner but it's all totally prepped so they just take it out of the fridge and put it on the stove or in the oven.

anyone who loves to cook needs to actually do hard time in a restaurant kitchen before they sign off on it as thier new career

cooking is productive, fun, creative, meditative, etc etc etc ..until you get behind the line.

kitchens attract crazy people and ex cons, i used to work with coke fiends, dope heads, drunks, and guys who went back to jail when their shift was over.

i've had a gazillion shouting matches, haha one time i saw a waiter do a crazy dive through a line window past teh expediter to punch a cook on the other side

cooking professionally is a tough job with high burn out potential, no pun intended.

but yeah, good luck, if you love it, you love it

and i miss it sometimes.

It not always like that. I worked in a five star hotel for a while and the atmosphere was great. I was dead by the end of the day but it was worth it. The people where nuts but in a good way. The only chef that seemed iffy where the ones prepping breakfast. The chef working on the meats was a riot. Always cursing up a storm and cracking rude jokes. The pastry chefs where the chillest people Ive ever met and amazing artist. Chocolate cowboy boots??!?

I know someone who is a personal chef for a guy and his wife. He to their house around 7am and prepares breakfast. He makes them both lunch and then he preps dinner and preps the next morning's breakfast. He's off work everyday by 3 and he makes fat coin.

*they actually cook their own dinner but it's all totally prepped so they just take it out of the fridge and put it on the stove or in the oven.

sounds like a dope arrangement

Guest Ginger Bread Man

first

no such thing as an actual type cheese with the label mexican cheese on it

be more specifiv please

second

you can always cater on the side. i know a few people who cater to various individuals on the side and make some loot. whenever the clients need or want something they ring the brother up...

I am looking at the cheese as I type, it says:

4 Cheese Mexican

Those are the largest words on the label except Sargento, and they make the cheese. This is why I call it 'mexican cheese'. Further study elightens me that this is a blend of "Natural Montery Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero" but, see how that's a bunch of words? Then notice "Mexican Cheese"... see how that's 2 words? Do you do your own grocery shopping? I suggest you might want gain familiarity in the cheese aisle. I bet they even have an employee to assist you and answer any questions you might have concerning the cheese.

"Is this 'cruelty-free' cheese?"

"How do they make cheese?"

"If you had all the cheese in the world would you be rich?"

"Do you think 'cheese' is a funny sounding word?"

"Cheese..."

Guest Ginger Bread Man

gracias chuleta.

intelligente: si yo hago todas mis compras en el super y conosco muy bien sobre queso. el queso me facina. entre mas huele mejor...

It all looks cool' date=' but I can't stand shit like that. Fuckin fine dining restaurants with their tiny ass portions, cuz half the plate is stupid extra shit to make it look good. Fuck that, gimme a goddamn plate full of chicken wings[/quote']

Haha "Don't blame me I just work here." Tastes hella good, but it's gone in like a mouthful...fuck that.

Couldn't stand it, hence....unemployment.

Steak pie motherfuckers.

It all looks cool' date=' but I can't stand shit like that. Fuckin fine dining restaurants with their tiny ass portions, cuz half the plate is stupid extra shit to make it look good. Fuck that, gimme a goddamn plate full of chicken wings[/quote']

Spoken like somebody with no food in their fridge. This isn't some KFC, there aren't supposed to be leftovers or doggie bags. Also, while presentation counts usually about 98% of the stuff on your plate is edible, and if you chew on that parsley a little bit when you're done it'll ease your breff a bit. It's about quality not quantity.

Well, it's really about knowing how to do it yourself, or having a friend who knows, or BOTH! Cooking is a really good social thing, plus you get fed. And there's NOTHING wrong with KFC except those boneless BBQ turds they sell, anything BBQ flavor from KFC really...

Oh, GBM... now I see I was struggling from the wrong perspective, next time you're at the grocery in the cheese aisle, TAKE A STEP BACK! Look at the big picture and I bet next to shredded American Cheese is some shredded cheese that says Mexican right on the bag!

Guest nutsonmychin!

when you are a line cook in a busy ass kitchen, it has very little to do with the food.

you prepare the same shit everyday (plus a special or two). you are at the same station, doing the same thing.

the head chef gets to really enjoy the food aspect of it. they plan the menu, order the food, oversee the workings of the entire kitchen...

i dont think most ppl can handle being at the bottom for so long and working their way up,.

fancy food is only good in a big portion

fuck paying 100 dollars for a taste of something.

i need lots more than that.

fuck you food.

Spoken like a man with no money in his wallet.

See kids, people have a bunch of bad reasons for being mad at good food. Some folks are mad at their fridge, some are mad at their wallet but almost nobody is mad after a $100 meal. This suggests that these whiney folks don't know what the fuck their talking abou,t or at least rarely get to eat a $100 meal unless it's 10 friends at Applebees. Great food, no matter the size of the portion, is like the 5th or 6th best thing on the face of the planet today... ever, even.

Pears in wine and strawberry mousse look good.

I haven't had mousse in fucking ages...

I had cravings for cheesecake a while back, so I went out and bought it. It was good.

I haven't been out to a restaurant for dinner for a fucking long time, my friends b'day is coming up I think were gonna go to some nice restaurant and eat with a bunch of mates.