Blackbook Techniques.

HandPickedGod

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

knowme: I thought that too but look REALLY careful at the image... you can see the lines of print through it...

yea thats funny dude I see exactly what you're talking about altho I'm pretty sure that that piece was in fact colored on a separate piece of paper, cut out with an exacto and then transfered over (if not digital). the reason it looks like you can see the blue lines peeking through is actually an optical illusion. I'm sure we've all seen the grids with "dots" inbetween them:

http://www.up.ac.za/organizations/movup/images/minefun/illusion12.png

I think those "lines of print" you're seeing result from the same effect.

---

Sure a wealth of knowledge in regards to sketching techniques can only be earned over a long period of time and after hours of old-fashioned hard work. this is not a bad thing. you can get a pretty cool endorphin rush when you figure out something really useful all by yourself....its also helpful when cats throw you a bone once in awhile. when you hear about a new technique, it adds excitement to the process, cause you wanna try it out for yourself and add your own twists to it.

to which end i shall add my favorite black book technique: collages. shit man if you see a cool graphic in a newspaper or magazine cut that shit out and incorporate it into a page. it gets real dope when you find several images that relate to each other, they can strongly influence the mood of your letters before you even bust em out.

oh and while Im writing a fuckin expose here, I just thought I'd include this...

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Animal%20Behavior/Optical%20Illusion.gif

Nah... for real, I do have a toy question...

What the fuck kind of markers does Totem use to do shit like this:

17.jpg

Before you get all wise-ass, notice it's drawn OVER some sort of karate instruction manual and yet the colors are smoothly blended and VERY precise. I have yet to find any markers opaque enough to do that and still blend over something printed like this.

Anyone know? Cuz I'll buy them shits with the quickness.

i dont no if its been answered but i heard totem uses COPIC MARKERS..shyts from japan. there liek 6 bucks a marker..iv been rackin them daily..

TOTEM IS TOOOO FUKIN ILL WITH IT.

yes, he is.

One thing I just started recently doing while sketching was sketch-lining with the fill color or a darker, similar color. I used to start a piece with a ballpoint pen, but the pen just irritated me when the piece was getting colored or finished. Ballpoint pens work look straight if they're almost dead or you don't press down hard.

p.s. where can I get copics from, besides the internet? Big art stores?

this thread is well annoying, does nobody else think so?

surley it doesnt matter about your colouring, i think that style goes much futher. i feel that people will appreciate good style much better than an example of good colouring, anyone agree?

over head projector pens work well for outlines as they very rarly bleed off.

copics are the best markers to use, they fade like no others, pantones are shit and bleed. good flat colour though, canoot fade so easily.

however, if you do want to make your books look spanger, go for the low lights and hi lights. (white posca grey marker) and you should go down in history as a ledgend... here is a example of how copics fade nicley. its only a photo, however, you get the idea.

dscf00sssssss031dv.jpg

does anyone have any techniques for prismas? like if the object im coloring is small, the coloring is easy cuz i could make the ink all juicy and thick. but if wen im coloring something thats huge, the marker might get wasted fast. and like, it comes all uneven, wen i use the broad side. like how does newkon do it. like his coloring always look really solid looking, like no stroke ghost marks etc... u know wut im saying?

melk! have u even used a prisma before? im talking about like, wen i color small objects with the narrow tip, it comes out nice and juicy, like straight on color. but wen you color big objects, you can use the narrow tip, so i decide to use the broad side. wen i use the broad side, i still do go in one motion. but wen u color, like for example, i make one stroke downsward, and going to color the side of it, then the parts that they meet come dark, but the part were it was empty and u color is smooth, and then so on. so wen you go down, you can see the other streak were they met. am i making sence?

Rend, about your whole prisma problem; yea it is about money. when u got a brand new marker u can color large areas without the streak marks, but the ink will run out eventually and you'll see the streaks, at that point u need to use a NEW marker with fresh ink. doing this can obviously be mad expensive. some cats can do it tho, they either rack or have professional art jobs. here's two suggestions if u are unable to come up with an infinite supply of fresh markers:

1. when u get the streaks, go over the same area with a color pencil of the identical color, thats the beauty of prismas, they have the exact same colors available in both color pencils and markers. u can also get Prisma Art Stix, which are just crayons of color pencil pigment, and with those you'll get a wider surface area.

2. Buy a different kind of marker for large areas.

TRIAs cover slightly better than prismas.

CHARTPAK markers also cover well, but they bleed like a bitch

paint markers are also a good choice because they come out opaque.

or hell, just use paint in general: acrylics, oils, aerosol, whatever.

hope that helps.