Blackbook Techniques.

HandPickedGod

p.s. most of the advice SHIFT gave is really good

usually you should lay down the shade that will be the lightest area to the entire area, then color in the black areas, then the shading, then work from light to dark. work wet and work fast.

make sure to define a lightsource so you know where to shade and do highlights/lowlights

if you need to blend then lay down the lighter color, then go over it with a darker color, then go back over it with the lighter color again. another good tip is to use a color that is between your lightest color and your darkest color to blend.

or just use the Prismacolor colorless blender(if you're using prismas, but it also works on other markers)

for highlights, you can use a nib and white ink, or a thin brush, and white acrylic paint.

also, if you want to highlight/lowlight something it doesnt have to be white or black, you can just use a lighter/darker shade of the same color

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i should have mentioned coloring in tight circles too. i use strokes when im working in small areas, and circles in larger areas. when i use design markers i color in strokes because its easier that way for me since design markers dry a little slower than prismas and blend alot easier. if you draw a line with a design and look at it, you will notice that the line spreads out becoming about two to three times its original width. thats why i color in strokes, since they spread, they blend into each other smoothly without producing streak lines. with prismas on the other hand, they dont spread out as much and dry quicker than designs, so thats why i would use circles instead of strokes with prismas, especially in larger areas.

but thats how i color. my way might not necessarily be the best way to color for someone else, but it works for me.

your advice on blending is perfect. its very important to work wet.

while it,s really good to look up these kind of techniques online, i think everyone should actually experiment and see what works for them. read to get an idea of what you should be doing. actually trying different techniques will let you see the various effects and let you see which you'd prefer.

here are the techniques i use for the different type of markers that i have:

prismacolor and design2 markers

-------------------------------------------

basically what you mentioned above. the only thing i do differently is use strokes when im working in small areas (areas that dont require very long strokes). i use strokes when im coloring areas that are less than about 1 1/2" in height. but other than that, tight circles work all the time too.

original design markers

-------------------------------------------

i really only use strokes with these markers because they dont dry as quickly as prismas and design2 markers. they stay wet longer, spread a lot and blend easily, so i dont use circles since that would really saturate the page with ink and bleed a lot through the other side. strokes work fine when im using these markers.

but like i said my way may not be the best way for other people. just experiment and see what works for you.

tompenny, candidart....i think you should really consider turning to the basics. it appears that you both are trying to run before you can even crawl. start off with simples, then work your way up. i think you should post in the toy thread for more advice, but im sure most will tell you them same.

dont take what i said the wrong way, im just offering you some advice.

I'm pretty confident with pen, but I usually work with pencil. I agree with the whole blurring

of the ballpoint pen ink. Does make it look hot. I'm workin' on some good sketches now,

i'll post em' up when I get em' all done. One more thing, is it bad if a lot of your sketches, you don't color them in, you just leave the fill blank, but you shade in the 3d with the pencil, then do a nice fat outline? Hit me up with a private message if you've got any tips for me especially. And please, no hate messages, I'm not a toy, but I'm not a king, so don't send me any shit about how retarded I am cuz I don't fill them of something.

that link for the prisma color thing was sweet thanks.. i just started using markers and it's been tough trying to get those hard edges clean looking.. now i think i have a good idea on how to fix that..

here's a legitamite question anyone every deal with a shaky hand syndrome.., i got these meds im on and they make my hand shake.. it sucks cause i have to draw faster then normal. and it's not that great.. any suggestions..

I have tha same shit too! Im not on meds but when i try to sit and draw my hands shake. Not hella bad but bad enough to fuck up my edges... I just take breaks and before i quit, smoking always worked (and not cigerettes)... But if anyone else has any ideas let me know!

Also, can anyone just sit and finish a piece in one night or do you have to come back...

Yeah. but for real to every kid, toy, adult or what the fuck ever. Im 100% real when i say just go rack you a bunch of copics for your color, for your fine lines and clean lines pick up ZIG millennium pens, And for black and white/ shading for any color, get the 5 pack of faber castell grey scale pack.. RACK EM ALL!!! i have near 700 dollars now of copics, zigs and fabers to my art pack

ive never took anything from a store before, ever.

this may be the dumbest question, but How do you rack shit?

that link for the prisma color thing was sweet thanks.. i just started using markers and it's been tough trying to get those hard edges clean looking.. now i think i have a good idea on how to fix that..

here's a legitamite question anyone every deal with a shaky hand syndrome.., i got these meds im on and they make my hand shake.. it sucks cause i have to draw faster then normal. and it's not that great.. any suggestions..

hmm, i don't really know how you would counter the shaking since you're on meds. if the meds are the reason for you shaking then the only thing i can think of is stop taking them, which isn't any help since you wouldn't be taking them if you didn't need to in the first place. the only other thing i can think of is divide your work into sections like i mentioned earlier. draw section by section. im thinking that would work since you would be doing one piece of the picture at the time, instead of the picture as a whole. that way, if there are any mistakes in a section, you can go back and fix them, and the mistake will only affect that section instead of the whole picture. i hope i explained that clearly. its only a thought though. the same goes for coloring. color section by section. that way, you will make less mistakes and can start and stop if you need to once a section is done.

my hands always shake when i think about them shaking, and the only time i think about them shaking is when i think to myself "i hope i dont mess up while im coloring," so me not wanting to make mistakes causes me to think about messing up which makes my hands shake. the thing is though, i know i usually dont make any big mistakes, so theres no reason for my hands to shake, because i can always go back and fix them. ok, so what im getting at is that dont think about them shaking, if you do that will only make it worse, and if they do shake, just remember its not like your hand is going to go crazy and scribble all over the page, mistakes can be fixed, so just dont think about them shaking or messing up and they wont.

ive never took anything from a store before, ever.

this may be the dumbest question, but How do you rack shit?

i've never racked anything from the store either. a lot of "hardcore" writers believe that you have to rack in order to call yourself a real writer bla bla bla... the way i see it though is that getting busted and getting a record for something that costs $3.00 just isnt worth it. i understand that after a while buying markers can get expensive,, but i still dont think its really worth it. a good thing to do is go on ebay and buy off of there. there are a lot of good deals on copics and chartpaks on there, all you need to do is look. i've bought makers from this one guy on ebay a few times, now he gives me good deals on markers since i buy from him often. a few weeks ago i got 72 prisma and designs from him for only $25.

if you rack and you're good at racking, more power to you. you're good at what you do and can save yourself some money. i honestly dont rack because its not like i plan to spend $30+ on markers each visit to the store. i usually dont buy markers all at once. i just bought a few and my collection started to grow. when im at the store i plan only to pick up the colors i need or think ill need. i dont mind spending $10-15 a visit, and i buy markers about once a month or two.

so if you're asking about how to rack, i think you should ask yourself "do i really need to rack them because i honestly cant afford the markers, or do i want to rack them because it's the cool graff thing to do?" like i said, i dont do it because i dont think it's necessary for me to do so. if i cant afford them at the moment i do without. i know a lot will probably disagree with what i said, but oh well thats just my opinion.

damn...i just realized i need to stop with the long explanations, its probably annoying you guys :lol: ill try to cut back.