Blackbook Techniques.

HandPickedGod

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya for spraying the background i usually do the whole piece first then use and airbrush for the back. if im using a can ill usually try to just not press down on the marker. when the paint from the can gets to much on your marker just get a piece of paper and do quick lines till you see the color go back to normal. id say with almost all my pieces i have to do this so its something im sure most of yall know.

• 3 months later...
hey what are some good watercolors? ive wanting to buy some but i dont know which ones. are the crayola ones good? they say that they are washable, does that mean after i do it in my bbook its gonna come off if it gets wet?

if you want good watercolors get a book with paper thats at least 90 lbs. Holbein is among the best but if those are too much (and they can get expensive) then go with winsor and newton pan sets...theyre harder to mix but better than tubes for illustrations. at the very least, grumbacher, but nothing below that. crayola is for kids....dont mess with that.

yo man can u put some more of your shit up, i love the coloring n characters, im getting some prismas so it would b nice to be checkin up on here seeing some good techniques and ways to use them, thanks bro

they are hard to use if you dont know what you are doing

they are any old marker if you dont have a good technique

when they are new they are pretty nasty

when they are old they serve a really really good purpose

it just depends on how you use them

Back to blackbook techniques...

Anyone have problems with markers on a page that's been spraypainted?

06050701.jpg

I did that and it killed every marker I used on it... hence the fading fill...

Any advice on that shit? I'm thinking I'll spray paint the page after next time and just let the splatter fall where they want...

the aclohol in the ink slightly thins the spray paitn ant the mix of paint and ink on the tip of the pen affects the ink and can dry out the end

prisma marker blending

if youre using prisma markers the paper you are using them on needs to be really saturated with the color youre going to use. and you do a sort of 'wax on' motion with the marker and take another marker to blend/fade into use the wax on motion again slightly over the other color and get that color saturated too. then take the other marker and pull the 2nd color in and really nice blends will occur.

example (not graf) but done by me

IF YOU REALLY WANT A GOOD SET OF GRAY MARKER YOU SHOULD TRY TO GET UR HANDS ON SOME DESIGNS!! THEY R MORE THAT PRISMAS BUT IT ALL PAYS OF IN THE END!

Prismacolor bought out Design a few years ago. But if you can find them, the Design 2 markers were IMO the best....:king:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yo i dont see why blending is hard for yall

put down the light color

then the dark color with overlap

then go back with the light and blend

and then possibly back with the dark if necessary

dried out markers the best for shading

lay down base color

shade with dried out dark color

highlight w/ gel pens

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

For you guys wondering about the markers, here are a few tips and pieces of advice ive picked up:

Marker Choice

If you want a nice even colour when adding a fill to a sketch, you need to get alcohol based markers such as copics, chartpacks, trias, prismacolors etc.

When buying your markers, there is no real need for you to get one of each shade of each colour. If you cant afford a whole set, choose the darkest and lightest colour of your choice. For example getting a dark red and then a light one. As since the colours darken with layering, you will find that the with the light pen you can achieve a dark colour

Marker Application

All these alcohol based colours have the ability to create multiple shades with one pen. For example, if you shade a square of blue on some paper, let it dry, then use the same pen and apply another layer. This creates a darker shade of the same colour. Most pens allow you to apply at least 3 layers before the colour wont darken anymore.

One of the ways to minimise the bleeding of your markers on the paper is to get marker paper. Do rough sketches on cheap paper and use the marker paper when you want to do a full colour sketch.

Apply light shades first then add darker shades ontop. If you want to add white highlights to you sketches you can use a white gel pen, wax pencil (not crayon!) or a fine paint marker. If you want to add even more darker tones to your sketch then you can use a black pencil to shade ontop.

Thats all i can think of for now.

Prismacolor bought out Design a few years ago. But if you can find them, the Design 2 markers were IMO the best....:king:

bump that. I got a ton of em for 15 cents a pop ( the second version of em) from a pearl art in a bin under the marker section. Bought the whole thing. The original ones( iv only used the black ones of the original) seem to dry out really fast.

The prisma colorless blender marker is for blending with their colored pencils.

Decocolors have the worst white, its like penis puddin. I heard pentel are the shizit.

For blending like you guys say "lay down the dark color first" doesnt work well with waterbased markeres cuz the lighter color gets dirty from the dark color. (thats why it didnt work in grdade school, cuz they give the kids non-toxic "water" based not "alcohol"

The thin pentel white ( you can get em from staples,office depot, etc in the marker/pen section, usually next to the thin tip gold and silver paint markers) Are what i use. But only if im using it for alchohol based. Deco white is shit. For white highlights and other things in the book, A white out pen does awesome. Just be careful about how much pressure you put on it, because iv fucked up a few sketchs with them.