Blackbook Techniques.

HandPickedGod

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started fucking around with watercolors. Don't do like I did and go straight for the cheapo Crayolas. I'm learning a great deal about that shit but they are hard to work with (I don't know if that gets better with quality). It doesn't help that they come with a shitty brush.

Also... if you're going to use water colors, expect your pages to get a little warped and also... any markes you use that are water-based will smear to shit.

I use Bic Flairs for details and those smudged to hell so watch that shit. I'm going to have to switch to Sharpie fine points for that.

• 2 weeks later...
a set of grey markers will put you in good stead to add some serious shade over existing colours.

sharpie light blue, with cool greys layered over the top. not the best example, but it'l do.

knomestraightlettered5bd.jpg

IF YOU REALLY WANT A GOOD SET OF GRAY MARKER YOU SHOULD TRY TO GET UR HANDS ON SOME DESIGNS!! THEY R MORE THAT PRISMAS BUT IT ALL PAYS OF IN THE END!

i use pretty much anything that looks good when i go to the art store lol rite now im usin paintys

deco colors gel pens colored pencils and sometimes sharpies, some times i use highlighters too they look funky on outlines and shit

• 2 weeks later...

Dudes, the thing is with me, my stuff is seriously sucking, and I have nothing really going style wise as compaired to you kids, but you guys are actually making me better. This is just a props, and thanks thing, then I'll get to my preferred techniques...

The scene around here sucks the bag, and no one here has anything close to what even the toys in here are posting up, so that says something. Those are also the whackest cats on the island. So, the fact that I'm getting shit and crits from you guys really helps, and any sketches that people would flow my way for a word, I'll alter to my own style. Thanks for the time and shit.

Anyways, my technique is to use a pencil and go VERY gently for the first lines, streaking off when I need to, or going around a curve. Then I'll do my solids, and if that's not looking nice, try another angle. (This is still for going around edges, and shit.) If that works nicely, I keep going. After my solid lines are done, I thicken them x3-x5 with a pencil so it's about half the size of a chisel, maybe a quarter of the size, but it's bold and dark. Then if I'm filling, I'll use a chisel tipped woodcraft, and do my fill, staying near the lines, and after, re-do them with black chisel.

I need some tips on dropshadow though, anyone help?

i use bloody sharpies! sharpies that bleed all over the paper if press too HARD

primsa are cooler no bleeding but fuck up if not used properly...........

decos, cheap painters, and sharpies paint markers are the shit!

Make a mental note sonny. Sharpie paints are shit for tags =P Me and my friend made that mistake, and the color fades in light. Yeah. My cousin made a home made sharpie marker, and it was the juiciest marker ever. I wanted to lick the door he hit. The officer here who does the graff shit is officer Flood, so my boy wrote on the door:

"Fuck the flood, this is high ground"

yep, that's the truth. you can buy a super deluxe prismacolor marker that costs $20 and that won't mean anything. without practice, you wont have the skills to use the marker effectively. a good quality marker makes your work look better, but it doesn't actually make you better. practice is the most important factor in getting better in anything you do.

yo shift u right on the having markers with no skill....i went threw it when i first started and now im really good with dem....i grew up on prisma markers n decos paint markers....but now im tryin diffrent shit...anybody kno any other good blackbook markers i can use

heres a technique i learned in a college oil painting class:

if you are doing a painting(or sketch) and you know somethings off but cant figure it out, try to look at what you're working on in the mirror! hold it in front of you and look at it, it should immediately become obvious whats off

another: if you are having trouble distinguishing the value of colors then try squinting your eyes ... i know its kind of obvious but it actually works, and i never really tried it until my professor told me to do it

yo roots imma try dis cuz im bad at coloring and mixing my colors....good look...

thanks for the comment, but i really don't think i'm all that good. there are plenty of other writers on this site WAY better than me (newkon, labrat, etc...) i'm just trying to catch up.

sorry if what i said earlier came out wrong. i thought you meant that you bought sticker paper because of its thickness to put under the page. i know what you mean about your blackbooks. i feel the same way.

1 of the three books i have filled is filled with tags from other writers, sketches, stickers and a few full colored pieces. i think i value that book the most because its my first book and shows how i got better etc... plus it has quite a few well known writers in it.

the second one has probably only about 4 tags from other writers, and the rest are pieces ive done and stickers. i used it more of a place to get my ideas down and try out different things.

the third has only full colored pieces in it. on the sides where the markers bled through, i got sticker paper, and either did pieces on them like you do and stick them on, or make different ramdom stickers and place them neatly on the page. this is what i plan to do with my other books as well.

the only thing i hate about the first two books is that a good bit of the pages dont seem complete, like i didnt use them as effectively as i would have liked. so now i try to make my books as complete as i can (to the point where im satisfied with the stuff inside). i have a book where i just mess around and get my general ideas down, then i transfer those ideas to the other book.

ok, to sum up this long rant, i get what you're saying.

your serious? my blackbook, the one i use right now, its just like a couple full color peices, then all outlines. lol, i mean sometimes ill start a project. but mostly its like outlines with no fill. then ill paint it. theres also a ton of throws from local heads.

i dont show my book to other people, its not like a walking gallery, i dunno. im obsessive compulsive but im not nearly as serious about mah book as you loll, the first pages are straight peices, this is only because other writers are gonna open the book, and i want em to see my capability.

ok hopefully this is a little simpler...

taggs002.jpg

anything?...

nigga urs shit is fire..its all ove da place cuuzz dats ur own style. you really dont need dese kids to tell u dat..not getting on da niggas dats trying to help but da kid is type nice keep up da good work

Back to blackbook techniques...

Anyone have problems with markers on a page that's been spraypainted?

06050701.jpg

I did that and it killed every marker I used on it... hence the fading fill...

Any advice on that shit? I'm thinking I'll spray paint the page after next time and just let the splatter fall where they want...