Blackbook Techniques.

HandPickedGod

/\/\/\/\/\ completley agree.. you know i'd post some shit on here. and some of the wilder stuff i've done, but i don't want to be eaten alive.. apparently anyone who i'sn't a born natural at grafitti and doesn't have spray paint sweating out their pours is a fucking toy.. and i don't agree with it.. when i first saw graf, i was like. damn that over there says something, yet it doesn't look like anything i ever saw.. it looks weird. like he just did what ever he wanted to it. thats pretty cool.. let me try.

another reason got into graf, was i saw it as this way of defiance, it was rebellious to paint. no one was going to tell me what to do.. i think a lot of us are like that.. so don't let anyone tell you what to do, if you want to steal markers, steal em.. if you don't, don't... you choose to get into graf.. choose how you do it..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok back to techniques:

here is a character i did to explain my process (yea i didnt really have anything better to do today so i decided to make this for 12oz :lol: )... im not really happy with it but it gets the job done.

1st: here you see that i sketched out the pic and started to outline it.

DSCN1902.jpg

2nd: here is the sketch completely outlined with the shadows filled in.

DSCN1903.jpg

DSCN1904.jpg

3rd: i begin coloring the pic. i divide it into sections as i always do so if i have to stop, i can just finish the section and continue whenever im ready, leaving no marker lines showing where i stopped and where i started. in this pic, the hand is one section.

DSCN1911.jpg

4th: here is the pic completely colored. i didnt begin any detailing yet (except for the head so that i remember how i want the shadows to be.) i just laid the base color of the character.

DSCN1912.jpg

DSCN1914.jpg

5th: here i start to darken certain areas and use a white color pencil to add highlights to his muscles.

DSCN1915.jpg

6th: and here is the pic with most of the detailing complete.

DSCN1924.jpg

DSCN1925.jpg

DSCN1926.jpg

and that's what i did in about 3 hours, minus all of the interuptions i had. there's still more to be done though. (color in the visor, sword, background, etc...) i started to feel lazy after i started adding details so i stopped at that. i guess ill add a background and finish it a little later (that's if any of you guys want me to post up the finished pic).

and here are the markers i use:

DSCN1931.jpg

design, design2, prismas, decos, sharpies, prisma pencils...

DSCN1933.jpg

i had some chartpaks and a few copics, but i used those up quick so i dont have any more. chartpaks, copics and designs are the best markers imo. i just have so many prismas right now i guess i have no other option than to use them. ill get my hands on some more copics and chartpaks sooner or later though...

hope this was helpful. let me know what you all think.

you should try to explain lineart to people, its actually a really important step too!

an oldschool way to stop shaking is to not breathe... exhale and dont breathe in, it's an old snipers trick.

smoking cigarettes helps too... lowers your blood pressure which makes your hands shake less

weed helps for shaking, creativity, and much much more

hollaback

Two issues I deal with all the time... here's my fixes (but if anyone has better suggestions, I'm all ears).

If you paste lots of shit in your blackbook, the binding is going to get all fucked to hell eventually. So my solution was to tear about twenty or so pages out of my last couple books before I even started using them. Seems kind of rough but it worked. My bindings are almost completely intact, despite the fact I pasted a mad amount of shit in there.

Problem two is marker bleed. Yeah, Prismas are great but they bleed like hell. So I buy these uncut sticker sheets (8.5 X 11). I put them on the other side and then, voila!

Love your blackbook and it will love you back, I say. Not that I fuck my blackbook or anything.

that link for the prisma color thing was sweet thanks.. i just started using markers and it's been tough trying to get those hard edges clean looking.. now i think i have a good idea on how to fix that..

here's a legitamite question anyone every deal with a shaky hand syndrome.., i got these meds im on and they make my hand shake.. it sucks cause i have to draw faster then normal. and it's not that great.. any suggestions..

it might not be great now, but drawing those fast lines is what you eventually want to be

doing. From watching a lot of cats better than me I realized that the best way to put down a

line is to locate the start and finish points with your eyes, and then connect the imaginary

dots in one swift motion. The more you use spray paint the more u will realize this is how

to paint as well. Think about it, if you draw a line too slowly with the can, you'll get drips!

To combat those shaky hands, I would say aim your medium where u want the line to start,

keeping the pinky-side edge of your hand pressed against the page, then lift up your hand at the exact moment you whip out that line.

regardless of whether these specific tips were helpful or not, just remember that everyone

adds their own flavor to their art, oftentimes because of their own particular challenges with the art-making process.

might-be-bombin:

I always finish a piece the same night I started it, not everyone does, but I think it's something

you should try to do. If you have to stop in the middle of a piece, it's probably not working and you should just move on to a new one.

Turtz:

If u have to ask, dont fuck with that shit...

SHIFT:

tight character

Problem two is marker bleed. Yeah, Prismas are great but they bleed like hell. So I buy these uncut sticker sheets (8.5 X 11). I put them on the other side and then, voila!

you dont need to BUY paper to put under the pages. a sheet of regular printer paper works just fine. put two if you want but one should be good enough. 2 sheets of loose leaf works too. when your done with the paper, you dont need to throw it away, just fold the paper and put it in your bbook for when you need to use it again.

here is a pic of the other side of the page for the character:

DSCN1927.jpg

Hey... you are a much better writer than I am. Let's start right there.

That said, I try to make my blackbooks masterpieces in and of themselves. When people look through my book, they feel like it's something that was printed and mass-produced, and every page is complete.

That's just how I roll. That's not to take away from your skills.

Might I add that it's all about EXPERIENCE. When you read this, looking for "ill skillz" get your lazy ass away from your computer, and pick up your pen and paper. Its all about practice, through which you'll gain experience. What I tend to do is try as many styles as possible, so people have to stop at each page when they browse my sketchbook. Just try, sketch everywhere, in class, at work, in every spare minute. Then you'll learn, not by reading such fancy tips 'nd tricks.(Though for the more experienced writers out there, this thread is quite good)

Don't think about buying all those expensive shit just yet, try finding out all the possibilities with only one or two pens/pencils. Go on from there.

The best piece of advice in this thread. I used to worship the forums. I thought my shit was hot because i was using all the online tips and tricks. Then i got my lazy ass off the comp for like 2 months and just worked on my shit, and damn my wild styles back then where fucking bubble letters with random ass arrows. Yeah it can be a pain in the ass to practice because shit is hard to figure it out and make it look right, but when you get it right you feel damn good. You can't make money without spending money. Same with Graff you can't gain talent without practice.

ehh fuck I'm just rambling on.

It took me completely filling FIVE blackbooks and two years before I felt like I was worth a damn.

Word to practice. Prisma colors aren't going to make wack letters hot. They're going to make wack letters look just as wack.

Save your money, learn to burn with Rosearts and you will be the shit with fucking Prisma when you are ready. That's just how it is.

Hey... you are a much better writer than I am. Let's start right there.

That said, I try to make my blackbooks masterpieces in and of themselves. When people look through my book, they feel like it's something that was printed and mass-produced, and every page is complete.

That's just how I roll. That's not to take away from your skills.

thanks for the comment, but i really don't think i'm all that good. there are plenty of other writers on this site WAY better than me (newkon, labrat, etc...) i'm just trying to catch up.

sorry if what i said earlier came out wrong. i thought you meant that you bought sticker paper because of its thickness to put under the page. i know what you mean about your blackbooks. i feel the same way.

1 of the three books i have filled is filled with tags from other writers, sketches, stickers and a few full colored pieces. i think i value that book the most because its my first book and shows how i got better etc... plus it has quite a few well known writers in it.

the second one has probably only about 4 tags from other writers, and the rest are pieces ive done and stickers. i used it more of a place to get my ideas down and try out different things.

the third has only full colored pieces in it. on the sides where the markers bled through, i got sticker paper, and either did pieces on them like you do and stick them on, or make different ramdom stickers and place them neatly on the page. this is what i plan to do with my other books as well.

the only thing i hate about the first two books is that a good bit of the pages dont seem complete, like i didnt use them as effectively as i would have liked. so now i try to make my books as complete as i can (to the point where im satisfied with the stuff inside). i have a book where i just mess around and get my general ideas down, then i transfer those ideas to the other book.

ok, to sum up this long rant, i get what you're saying.

It took me completely filling FIVE blackbooks and two years before I felt like I was worth a damn.

Word to practice. Prisma colors aren't going to make wack letters hot. They're going to make wack letters look just as wack.

Save your money, learn to burn with Rosearts and you will be the shit with fucking Prisma when you are ready. That's just how it is.

yep, that's the truth. you can buy a super deluxe prismacolor marker that costs $20 and that won't mean anything. without practice, you wont have the skills to use the marker effectively. a good quality marker makes your work look better, but it doesn't actually make you better. practice is the most important factor in getting better in anything you do.

heres a technique i learned in a college oil painting class:

if you are doing a painting(or sketch) and you know somethings off but cant figure it out, try to look at what you're working on in the mirror! hold it in front of you and look at it, it should immediately become obvious whats off

another: if you are having trouble distinguishing the value of colors then try squinting your eyes ... i know its kind of obvious but it actually works, and i never really tried it until my professor told me to do it

I use Prismas. I wasn't bashing them at all. I was saying that there are people who think Prisma markers or Copics or whatever will make their wack letters look fresh.

You can't throw money or racked markers at a lack of skills. It won't make toys better.

Practice makes toys better.

That's what I was saying.

Fuck... I've seen Rosearts with like fifty colors in them.

I used to use them shits all the time. Now I only fuck with Sharpies when I'm feeling cheap. They aren't THAT expensive and get the job done. They also don't smudge if you get them the slightest bit wet plus rosearts and crayolas streak like hell.

I have the Crayola big pack with like 50 colors in it downstairs and I let guests use it. Not really what I use any more. Maybe I should fuck with it a bit.

If you don't have much money, this is the shit:

http://www.mandali.com/catalog/art/crayolamarkers.jpg

• 3 weeks later...