Guide to Making T-Shirts

MATERIALS

I use acetate stencils, I’m sure other stencils will work as well. They can’t be too thick though.

Fabric paint seems to work for me. It goes on nice and thick.

the good thing about fabric paint is that you don't have to mix it with anything. it soaks in like an ink so your shirt doesn't feel like a peice of cardboard when you're finished.

I keep a stock of primary colours that make it easy to mix up any colour you choose. . 1 litre tubs cost about $20 AU for normal colours and $30 AU for supercover. You can get smaller pots for about $8AU. It takes a long time to get through a small pot.

you can pick up fabric from most art supply stores, or try screenprinters, or screenprint wholesale outlets.

the brand is permaset fabric paint and comes in two types.

1. normal

2. supercoat, which is thicker and i great for doing white on black etc

Foam roller. You can usually get cheap ones from craft stores, I go through these pretty quickly so it’s best to buy heaps of cheap ones than splash out and try and buy one that will last. The paint just eats away the foam after a while. Sometimes you get a free little paint tray which is also useful.

Masking tape. Well what can you say.

STEPS

1.Lay your stencil down and make sure the fabric is flat. Tape the stencil where ever you can. Mask off seems and stuff like that.

try getting a nice big peice of carboard to put inside your shirt to stretch it out. i find this helps (especially in girls stretch or ribbed shirts)

2.Load your roller up, you don’t need to much paint. The trick is to do more small coats than one sloppy one. You acquire a feel for rolling on fabric and you can begin to apply pressure. Make sure you have an even coat.

3. Be careful when ripping of stencil and tape.

Shirts will dry to be touch dry if you blast them with a hairdryer for a

few seconds. so you can flip it over and print on the back.

To heat seal a shirt put a piece of baking paper on the printed area and iron for a few minutes, just enough to heat it up and melt it a little. You can’t really burn it unless you walk away with the iron cooking your shirt.

If you are doing multiple layers I recommend heat sealing in between each colour. Now whack a tag on it and sell it in a store, give it away as a present or print up your very own Che Guevara shirt and jump off a cliff.

[/url]

for more vist www.graffitispot.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

or if you have half a brain. just silk-screen whatever the fuck you want. its a damn similar process, but 100% more affective and professional. if you're THAT lazy in makin a shirt to side-step and half step silk screening. just get yourself some iron-on heat transferr shit from wal-mart or an arts n craft store.

• 5 weeks later...