You know when you get into a fight and later remember things you should have said?

Soup BDC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you still be a graphic designer if you didnt have adobe illustrator?

cliche as fuck

It would be, except i've posted enough shit you'd be singing a different tune if you had a clue. This is annoying.

Mods, this thread's making an even bigger deal of this situation, I'd be thankful if someone just closed it.

Hahah well hey thanks Mods for hearin me on that one. Anyway,

So I ended up calling my parents to help me out and lo' and behold, there's such a thing as a "Student Advocate." Sat down with her, ran some game, came up with a strategy and sat down with my teacher, director, and my advocate.

It was great. They're pretty much rewriting the entire cirriculum for the class to be more objective to the students. Fuck a bitch ass being humble bullshit. Stick it to tha mang!!

/no homo.

Hey folks thanks for the advice and humbleness recieved. I still need help dealing with a teacher that's put D's on everything I've posted. I'm not saying I'm fucking great here, but this is a fundemental class, first semester, and that shit is passing. I don't know what to do, because I have to choose my words extremely well since a slip up and all she has to do is ask the director to have me kicked out and I'm gone.

This is a very bad situation. Before my meeting with the director, my teacher said that if I believed she graded my work improperly i could take it to the director. Then when i met with the director she had a copy of all you see above and the first words out of her mouth was that my work was terrible, then she went on to blow everything I did out of proportion.

She was fucking mad that after I got into an "arguement" with my teacher over my grades and afterwards I didn't appologize. What the fuck kind of shit is that why would I appologize about a fucking discussion over my grades?

I need help, we've got some smooth talkers on this site. Where they at? We've got some graphic designers too, help me out. I need to one way or another smooth talk AND show some highly professional work to a teacher, very reserved round cookie-baking-type looking who has an axe to grind after I let the S-word slip in the second week of class.

And for the logos: The assignment was to make a logo for a made up swim club. I made a crest because, well, it's a sport.

OK all I can tell you is how I feel about this shit.

Basic rule in art schools: argue with the teachers, not with the administration. Consider the director as a politician who runs the school. If you argue with the teacher it's ok but when you take it to the director, they think you wanna get someone fired. And I'm sure they're prepared for that stuff, and get you fired instead.

Also I personally don't even give a fuck about grades, because they're numbers on a paper and only a retard looks at them and not your work, when you try to get a job for example. I understand you might care if it brings trouble in some practical level (less money from government?) but other than that, grades are useless in art schools...Mostly because there are no instant-facts about what's good or bad. There are just things that matter that one should learn to see and analyze.

For example the logos/symbols you've made don't work in small sizes, the typography isn't very clear... They say you should always make a logo so that it's reasonably clear as a small, black and white version.

The typography squares are ok to me, personally don't like the colors as they're almost one per a square. you could've mixed red and blue for example and still keep it minimal, adding tension and whatever you might call it.

Interestingness.

and as a disclaimer I don't consider myself as a good graphic designer or anything else. I'm on 12 oz, right?

and no homo

It would be, except i've posted enough shit you'd be singing a different tune if you had a clue. This is annoying.

Mods, this thread's making an even bigger deal of this situation, I'd be thankful if someone just closed it.

yeah thats it I need a clue. basically you should DIE

I know I'm late, so even if no one reads this I still feel like saying it all.

I'm certainly no "smooth talker" but I've won a lot of battles against authority figures starting in elementary school; I'm naturally argumentative and it gets me into stupid shit most of the time. Its not a great quality.

Anyway, as a general rule you only respond to them. That's about all you need. You never yell until they yell at you, you don't bring an argument to them until they have started a battle with you. Don't worry about not saying something when you wished you had, bring it to them later in a more organized fashion, when you're more calm. Don't be disrespectful, just prove them wrong.

I'm sure you know all this or have figured it out, but the fact that they threatened you with failing was aleady an injustice to you, and if you wanted, you could have kept going up the ladder until you were heard out. The fact that they go and say that your work sucks is just disrespect (which may have been deserved, I don't know what you started), so you have some right to fight them.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you.

Re: You know when you get into a fight and later remember things you should have said

btw... art is art... my parents bitched out one of my teachers when i was in the 1st grade cause she wrote a big red F on my drawing of a tree... so i painted the leaves purple.

how the fuck is a GRADE 1 teacher going to give an F to a GRADE 1 students drawing?

riiiiiiiiiiight

Re: You know when you get into a fight and later remember things you should have said

how the fuck is a GRADE 1 teacher going to give an F to a GRADE 1 students drawing?

riiiiiiiiiiight

I got an F in jr high for writing a haiku about pina coladas.

San Francisco art institue came to my school the yesterday to review student portfolios portfolios, i was accepted on the spot, papers and all, and i felt kinda bad too cause i was the only one and some of them niggas been at community college for like 4 years and got mad equipment and all that shit and still aint get shit hahahah fuck em.

^SUCK THIS^

ima bump the KB thread with the good news.

art school (and to an even greater extent) is a lot about fulfilling criteria. if you don't meet all of the criterion for a design expect a C or less no matter how good your shit is.

i know a lot of people like you (to an extent, i was like you in regards to my own design work), but believe it or not, you may not be anywhere as good as you think. nothing you've designed really jumps out at me as particularly creative or anything. fucken i'm tired. digest that, i'm not going to type any more.

Yeah it burns me up.

Today I was called in to see the director of our art major's department, which was more of a "IM THE ALMIGHTY DIRECTOR YOU SHALL OBEY!" while I try to defend myself as much as possible after she says "If you argue with me, or any of your teachers again I'll have you kicked out, and I've already been given the Ok to do so from the administration."

She talked so much bullshit.

She said all my work sucked. I forgot to ask, WHY?

I told her my work was as good if not better than the rest of the class, ands he said dont look at the rest of the class's work. She said that this art department doesnt grade on a curve. I should have told her, how the fuck does that work. You're not grading math papers.

She asked me why I changed from industrial design to graphic design. I told her because industrial design was a different skill set. She had the BALLS to say "OH YEAH WELL I'VE DONE SOME INDUSTRIAL DESIGN. IT'S A LOT OF DRAWING JUST LIKE HERE." And I should have told her, NO IT'S FUCKING NOT! IT'S A LOT OF BONDO. IT'S A LOT OF RINSHAPE AND TEN POUND FOAM. IT'S A LOT OF HOURS IN A MINIMALLY VENTED SPRAY BOOTH. IT'S A LOT OF CHOKING ON CARCINOGENS YOU BITCH.

I'm seriously about to fail art school because I'm good and I say I am. I need help.. I have a teacher with an axe to grind and is making me redo all my work from this semester in two weeks, a director that wants me dead... and this is a FUNDEMENTAL CLASS!!!

I'll elaborate if anyone can please help me.

SHE'S PROBABLY ONE OF THOSE MISANDRIST FEMINIST MAN-HATERS. I'VE DEALT WITH THOSE BEFORE. SOMEBODY TOLD ME OF A FEMALE BOSS THAT GOT CHEATED ON BY HER HUSBAND, SO AS REVENGE SHE PUNISHED AS MANY MALE EMPLOYEES AS POSSIBLE.

knowme, haha and I know a lot of people like you (in the extent that you say you can offer advice but really can't). Like this teacher it's not a question if my work is good or bad, it's a question if someone can tell me how to make my work better, to which she replies "I can't tell you that, I'd be doing the work for you."

To which I reply, "No. When you sit behind the computer and put in the hours of sketching and designing, then you'll be doing the work for me. What you're asking is from me to teach myself because you don't know how."

I don't mean to be an asshole here but there's too many people who want so much to be in a position of power but really arent cut out for it. This goes out to you, advice givers, and wannabe teachers. The trick to knowing when advice should be given is when it's valuable. Save it because if you think you're voice should be heard on this subject, count how many other people think the same, and was any of it useful? Telling me what you think about me is the most boring arrogant bit of bullshit I'll ever read.

I mean to add as well that it's not anything personal, it's just from dealing with teachers that don't know what the fuck theyre doing and cant teach.

If you're an artist or a graphic designer, then maybe you can help me tightening up the designs.