Jewelry Advice

HAL

I'm making a set of plugs for my girlfriend, nice wooden ones worked from scraps I got when the city cut down this 200 year old oak tree. I was sad to see the tree go, because it was all huge and gnarly, but the city sucks. Anyways, the plugs were a bitch to carve, because i did them with only an x-acto knife and sandpaper. They're flared on each end, and look real nice. I picked a chunk of wood that was close to the bark with plenty of knotty swirls. They look sweet.

I was wondering if I should treat/coat them with anything before they're ready to wear? I'd expect that wearing them untreated wouldn't be good, since they'd probably get dirty and start to smell.

I was thinking varnish, but wasn't sure if that would react with the skin or anything. I can't recall ever seeing wooden plugs in person, so I don't know what to do with them.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my googleoner doesnt post anything at all, its just a blank test space.

on the oak wood plugs, ive heard a verylong time ago that aged wood behaves diffrently to harsh chemicals, so what ever you do to treat it, try going with somthing with a low acid base. oyull understant what i mean when you get out there

be very careful. my friend had wooden plugs and accidently took a shower with them on. one of them warped/expanded in his ear. it was pretty ugly and he had a hard time getting it out.

i dont know what you'd coat them with but i'd agree with seeking- some sort of oil. it just seems like poly or some kind of varnish would be toxic, not to mention they'd smell gross.

it wouldn't hurt to call a tattoo/piercing shop for more info.

what guage are the plugs?

be very careful. my friend had wooden plugs and accidently took a shower with them on. one of them warped/expanded in his ear. it was pretty ugly and he had a hard time getting it out.

i dont know what you'd coat them with but i'd agree with seeking- some sort of oil. it just seems like poly or some kind of varnish would be toxic, not to mention they'd smell gross.

it wouldn't hurt to call a tattoo/piercing shop for more info.

what guage are the plugs?

They're somewhere between 0 and 00, but closer to 0.

I do get mushrooms on my pizza. Eggplant, too. And hell-of pepperoni.

like seeking said, jsut use a natural oil (like olive or vegetable oils) and that's it.

I wore wooden plugs for a long time and would only wear wood because all other

materials would get tacky and feel uncomfortable. Acrylics and metals were the worst.

http://woodbodyjewelry.safeshopper.com/

I bought some pieces from them.

Read their Care & Maintenance links