A good academic article on graffiti

suburbian bum

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0004-5608...%3E2.0.CO%3B2-H

Urban Graffiti as Territorial Markers

David Ley; Roman Cybriwsky

Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 64, No. 4. (Dec., 1974), pp. 491-505.

My favorite quote:

" The mastery and occupatio of space might well be a behavioral primitive. Climbing mountains, descending to the ocean depths, landing astronauts on the moon who leave behind their own territorial marker, colonial adventures, riding the freeway, possessing a home on a large lot - middle-income Americans have ample opportunity to sublimate their territorial needs, but many of these options are closed to the inner city dweller. For him, spatial mastery is often possible only in the realms of the phantasmagorical. Blocked access to the mainstream culture encourages a projective fantasy. Thus Cool Earl and Kidd have legitimate artistic ambitions, but city life provides no access to such a realization. 'We'd like to get into commerical art... but no one has told us how to go about it.' Hence, like some other inner city residents, they follow the main highway of make-beleive. An exotic nickname, a garnished signature, identify a new personality and a space conquered, a mark left. ' A man has to win a battle somewhere' "

Anyways, an interesting article, that is quite dated but still pretty cool.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The start of it sounds pretty cool..all I could get was the abstract and the introduction.

I'm sure you probably know JStor, along with most other scholarly search engines, can only be fully accessed at libraries or colleges.

It's nice to see graffiti covered from a more academic standpoint.

I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to access the rest.

Originally posted by suburbian bum@Apr 3 2006, 07:12 AM

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0004-5608...%3E2.0.CO%3B2-H

Urban Graffiti as Territorial Markers

David Ley; Roman Cybriwsky

Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 64, No. 4. (Dec., 1974), pp. 491-505.

"Thus Cool Earl and Kidd have legitimate artistic ambitions, but city life provides no access to such a realization."

Similarly, not having access to higher education means no access to articles like this! ;)

Post the whole article skirmfirm