why should i write my own senior thesis

killakash

Originally posted by Resurrection+Apr 2 2006, 09:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Resurrection - Apr 2 2006, 09:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-killakash@Apr 3 2006, 02:42 AM

it has to be at least 15 pages. and it has to be answering a question of some kind.

I DON'T THINK 12OZ IS THE PLACE TO REALLY ASK THESE TYPE OF QUESTIONS. AND TO BE HONEST I THINK THIS IS STUFF YOU SHOULD FIGURE OUT ON YOUR OWN. THOSE OF US OVER 18 HAVE HAD SCHOOL PAPERS AND PROBABLY HAD TO COME UP WITH OUR OWN IDEAS NOT LOOK ON A GRAFF MESSAGE BOARD FOR PEOPLE TO THINK FOR US. JUST GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT THAT'S ALL.

[/b]

perfect response. i replied like that in another thread about that dude who needed answers about his brothers wedding bc he couldnt make real life decisions on his own. his reply to me was that this is a "discussion forum" so these sorts of questions are legitimate to be asked here.

too many people are making the mistake that internet friends ais real life. my girls brother sits on world of warcraft for literally 10 hours a day. hes going to vegas for free next weekend for 5 days and buying a laptop so he can play the game there. i dont gamble money but had an awesome time in vegas. hell be in a hotel room, by himself, playing a computer game.

the internet makes obtaining information so easy and fast that its easier to ask a bunch of dudes on a web forum to make a decision for them. the internet is where real life decision making jumped the shark.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by GamblersGrin+Apr 3 2006, 04:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GamblersGrin - Apr 3 2006, 04:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Resurrection@Apr 2 2006, 09:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-killakash@Apr 3 2006, 02:42 AM

it has to be at least 15 pages. and it has to be answering a question of some kind.

I DON'T THINK 12OZ IS THE PLACE TO REALLY ASK THESE TYPE OF QUESTIONS. AND TO BE HONEST I THINK THIS IS STUFF YOU SHOULD FIGURE OUT ON YOUR OWN. THOSE OF US OVER 18 HAVE HAD SCHOOL PAPERS AND PROBABLY HAD TO COME UP WITH OUR OWN IDEAS NOT LOOK ON A GRAFF MESSAGE BOARD FOR PEOPLE TO THINK FOR US. JUST GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT THAT'S ALL.

perfect response. i replied like that in another thread about that dude who needed answers about his brothers wedding bc he couldnt make real life decisions on his own. his reply to me was that this is a "discussion forum" so these sorts of questions are legitimate to be asked here.

too many people are making the mistake that internet friends ais real life. my girls brother sits on world of warcraft for literally 10 hours a day. hes going to vegas for free next weekend for 5 days and buying a laptop so he can play the game there. i dont gamble money but had an awesome time in vegas. hell be in a hotel room, by himself, playing a computer game.

the internet makes obtaining information so easy and fast that its easier to ask a bunch of dudes on a web forum to make a decision for them. the internet is where real life decision making jumped the shark.

[/b]

YEAH TRUE. BUT HONESTLY, I DON'T EVEN THINK IT'S THAT SERIOUS. IT'S NOT ON THE LEVEL OF A "REAL LIFE DECISION" LIKE WHAT TO DO AT A WEDDING OR GIRL PROBLEMS OR PARENTS DIVORCING OR SUPPORTING DEPENDENTS FINANCIALLY. THIS IS JUST ABOUT A TYPICAL SCHOOL PAPER. I MEAN, COMING UP WITH AN IDEA TO WRITE AN ESSAY ABOUT IS NOT THAT HARD. THE ORIGINAL POSTER INDICATES IT CAN BE ABOUT ANYTHING, SO JUST WRITE ABOUT ANYTHING. HE DOESN'T NEED OUR HELP. NOW CONSTRUCTING A PERSUASIVE ESSAY, FORMULATING THE THESIS AND TOPIC PARAGRAPHS IS THE "HARD" PART. JUST COMING UP WITH A SUBJECT TO WRITE ABOUT IS EASY AND IT'S RIDICULOUS TO RELY ON PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET TO TELL THEM WHAT TO WRITE THEIR PAPER ON. YOU HAVE ANY TOPIC UNDER THE SUN TO WRITE ABOUT.

You should deconstruct something. If I had the time I'd seriously consider deconstructing Mein Kampf to prove the thesis that Hitler was racist against Jews. It pokes fun at postmodernism in a very post-modern way. And if you wanted to get it published, if there is any intellectual validity to it you could relatively easily.

Narrowing down a topic for your senior thesis doesn't have to be difficult. These steps provide a guide.

Steps:

1. Thumb through your old class notes and textbooks for topics that grab you.

2. Make a list of these topics.

3. Eliminate topics based on such issues as level of interest (how excited do you get when you think about it?), practicality (too broad? too narrow?), and how significant a contribution it will make to your discipline.

4. Go through the remaining topics with as many people as you can, but at least with your department's academic advisors. They will help you eliminate more topics.

5. Consult with fellow students as well; they'll offer not only great ideas, but also sympathy.

6. Ask as many professors as possible what they know about work that's already been done on the topics that remain.

7. Find this work, and see how similar or different it is from your own ideas. If it's too similar, you've just eliminated another possibility.

8. Choose whichever of the remaining topics interests you the most.

9. Keep in mind that your topic is a work in progress, and allow yourself to be flexible. It's inevitable that some aspects of your topic will change as you progress in your research and writing.

Tips:

Try to walk the line between an overly broad and an overly narrow topic. Broad topics can lead you astray and lack focus; narrow topics can be of limited interest and might not furnish enough material for an entire dissertation.

Keep your topic ideas in a central location, preferably a computer file that you can easily back up.

Consider setting yourself a deadline for finding a topic. Time is short for a senior thesis, and the sooner you get started the better.

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by Milton@Apr 3 2006, 05:12 AM

You should deconstruct something. If I had the time I'd seriously consider deconstructing Mein Kampf to prove the thesis that Hitler was racist against Jews. It pokes fun at postmodernism in a very post-modern way. And if you wanted to get it published, if there is any intellectual validity to it you could relatively easily.

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THAT IT WOULDN'T BE HIS IDEA. I MEAN THE ASSIGNMENT IS ABOUT COMING UP WITH YOUR OWN IDEA, WHICH HE SEEMS TO BE TOO LAZY TO DO. AND THEN YOU'RE FEEDING SOMEONE ELSE YOUR OWN IDEAS AND INTERESTS AND TELLING SOMEONE ELSE (WHO MAY NOT EVEN HAVE A CARE IN THE WORLD ABOUT "HITLER" AND "MEIN KAMPF") TO MARKET THESE IDEAS AS HIS OWN (AND GET IT "PUBLISHED").

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by Ethreadzny2@Apr 3 2006, 03:01 PM

WHY SUCH A HIGH POPULATION IS SHIFTING FROM CITIES TO SUBURBS. SPRAWL OF POPULATIONS. MORE PEOPLE COMMUTING FROM THE SUBURBS TO THE CITY.

ANSWER: WHITE PEOPLE AFRAID OF DARKER TONED PEOPLE.

Guest Resurrection

ACTUALLY THE TREND OF WHITE FLIGHT HAS BEEN SHIFTING WITHIN THE PAST 5 OR 6 YEARS OR SO... NOWADAYS YOU GOT WHITES (THE YUPPIE TYPE) MOVING BACK INTO THE INNER-CITIES AND BUYING PROPERTY. I KNOW IN L.A. A LOT OF WHITES ARE MOVING BACK INTO THE INNER CITY AND BUYING THOSE OLD HISTORICAL HOMES. AND IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA TURNING THOSE OLD APARTMENTS INTO TRENDY "LOFTS." I HEARD THE SAME TREND IS HAPPENING IN NEW YORK; STARBUCKS BEING BUILT IN HARLEM AND YUPPIES AND JEWS MOVING IN. IN SAN FRANCISCO THE TREND HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR A WHILE DUE TO THE HIGH PRICE IN PROPERTIES THERE ON THE PENNINSULA.

ALOT HAS TO DO WITH PROPERTY VALUE IN INNER-CITIES SKY-ROCKETING, THUS MAKING IT TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MINORITY (RENTERS AND BUYERS) TO PURCHASE. MINORITIES ARE NOW MOVING TO CHEAPER "OUTLYING" CITIES AND SUBURBS TO LIVE.

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by AlwaysBombin@Apr 3 2006, 04:21 PM

My fellow whites are so silly sometimes...I personally get along better with the darkies

Except if I'm goin to a movie theatre, then I wanna be as far away as possible

YEAH BLACKS ARE LOUD IN MOVIE THEATERS AND WILL ANSWER A CELLPHONE CALL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOVIE AND HISPANICS BRING THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY (MOM, DAD, AUNT, GRANDMA, 8 KIDS) TO THE THEATER.

WHITES ALWAYS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY USE THE USHER FOR ASSISTANCE AND THEY STAY WATCHING THE CREDITS TIL THE VERY END.

ASIANS SIT SUPER-CLOSE TO THE SCREEN AND SIT FAR AWAY FROM BLACKS, WHITES, AND HISPANICS AS POSSIBLE AND ACT ALL SCARED AND QUIET THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MOVIE.

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by MAR+Apr 3 2006, 04:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MAR - Apr 3 2006, 04:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Resurrection@Apr 3 2006, 12:24 PM

JEWS.

Classic. Keep blamming everything on us it worked for Hitler.

[/b]

I LIKE HOW YOU SNIPPED IT TO FIT YOUR OWN AGENDA. NO ONE WAS "BLAMING" JEWS FOR ANYTHING I JUST STATED A FACT HOW WHITES AND JEWS ARE BUYING A LOT OF PROPERTY IN HARLEM/MANHATTAN.

The underlying theme of your post seemed to me to blaming the Jews and Whites for the rising rent costs in harlem/manhatten thereby forcing the lower income families out of thier homes and towards the suburbs.

Forgive me if I missunderstood.

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by MAR@Apr 3 2006, 04:52 PM

The underlying theme of your post seemed to me to blaming the Jews and Whites for the rising rent costs in harlem/manhatten thereby forcing the lower income families out of thier homes and towards the suburbs.

Forgive me if I missunderstood.

I DON'T BLAME RISING RENT ON JEWS AND WHITES I BLAME IT ON POPULATION INCREASE, INFLATION, AND ECONOMIC TRENDS (DESIRES TO MOVE INTO THE INNER CITIES; ONE REASON IN PARTICULARLY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF DRIVING 30 MILES TO WORK FROM THE SUBURBS TO DOWNTOWN).

THE RESULT OF THE RISING PROPERTY VALUE CAUSES POORER (USUALLY MINORITY) PEOPLE TO MOVE OUT AND RICHER WHITES/JEWS TO MOVE IN.