Why are people obsessed with the 80's?

Raw fish

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Raw fish@Mar 31 2006, 06:15 PM

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

oh, right, i was waiting for someone to explain this shit to me... discuss...

I'm with this guy. Everything about the 80's sucked ass except for the graff, Punk-rock, Some of the Hip-hop, and metal (not the GLAM-ROCK hipsters are hyped on). But that aint the shit these idiots are hyped on. They're all hyped on the flat out awfull shit from the 80's.

20 years from now all the kids are gonna be jocking Nickleback and Stained like it's some classic throwback shit. :yuck:

Guest Resurrection

ONLY THING THAT SUCKED ABOUT THE 80'S WAS THAT ONLY THE VERY WEALTHY COULD GET CELLPHONES, AND THOSE CELLPHONES WERE BRICK SIZED.

MORE CHICKS WORE SPANDEX THOUGH AND THAT WAS A GOOD THING.

Originally posted by dnt.smke.regs@Mar 31 2006, 10:39 PM

pop culture and garbage go hand in hand? :(

.............although i wiil say this, Boogie Down Productions knows my posse resides on broadway.

ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you were making some random joke here, that was never intended to make sense.

But if you weren't then , FYI. Boogie Down Productions had as much to do with "My posse's on Broadway" than Sir Mix A lot had to do with "Criminal Minded"

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@Mar 31 2006, 02:23 PM

Probably a few reasons:

1) all of us were kids then, and, generally, being a kid was fun.

2) along the same lines, most of our first memories are from the 80s/80ish things.

3) the camp/irony factor, since, as you said, the 80s were "CRAP."

Just off the top of my head.

Bingo. On all three.

And that shit ABC said about being broke. Yeah.

The '80s are times when there wasn't a main stream internet so people had to have fun outside of computer land. More debauchery as groups went down. Nowadays people can sit in a dark basement without physically interacting with anyone and get online and have 'net times.

Milli Vanilli were around so if we had a bad day in the '80s we just blamed it on the rain.

Originally posted by BAN-THIS!!!@Apr 1 2006, 01:42 PM

Anyone notice that the only people on here defending the 80's were the ones that were in diapers at the time, and everyone else that clearly remembers the 80's knows that it was one of the worst decades ever?

i was in diapers in the 70's. here's 9 awesome things about the 80's off the top of my head, you even try and tell me they sucked and you're ip address is getting condemned:

1. the goonies

2. public enemy

3. graffiti on trains

4. it was still ok to eat mcdonalds

5. michael jordan

6. transformers

7. warheads

8. airwolf

9. skateboards

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Mar 31 2006, 07:32 PM

bah... most of the 80's revival fads are late 80's and early 90's.

I was born in the 70's and I know I didn't grow up in the 80's.

All the things I loved when I was a little kid (under 12) involved

slingshots, putting shit on train tracks, matches and mud.

Pop culture didn't influence me untill way later. I was still rockin

no-name chuck talyor rip-offs and jogging pants in the 80's.

Sure you can love ET and the thundercats, but adult trends were shit.

You lucky bastard.

Guest Resurrection

WASN'T THE 80'S KNOWN AS THE DECADE OF GREED? THINK ABOUT IT THAT'S WHEN THE TERM "YUPPIE" CAME ABOUT, AND A LOT HAD TO DO WITH THEM BEING ON THEIR MOBILE PHONE. AND ALL THOSE POP ICONS HAD ON ALL THAT GOLD, WHETHER IT BE RAPPERS, MR. T, OR THEM FOOLS FROM MIAMI VICE WITH THEIR DESIGNER SUITS AND GOLD WATCHES.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BAN-THIS!!!@Apr 1 2006, 01:42 PM

Anyone notice that the only people on here defending the 80's were the ones that were in diapers at the time, and everyone else that clearly remembers the 80's knows that it was one of the worst decades ever?

i was in diapers in the 70's. here's 9 awesome things about the 80's off the top of my head, you even try and tell me they sucked and you're ip address is getting condemned:

7. warheads

[/b]

warheads the lollie ? they were the primary schoolyard equivilant of ciggerettes in prison

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BAN-THIS!!!@Apr 1 2006, 01:42 PM

1. the goonies

2. public enemy

3. graffiti on trains

4. it was still ok to eat mcdonalds

5. michael jordan

6. transformers

7. warheads

8. airwolf

9. skateboards

[/b]

im with you on all counts there... but thats not the shit people are obsessing over...

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by Gat:Bush+Apr 1 2006, 04:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gat:Bush - Apr 1 2006, 04:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-NightOwl@Mar 31 2006, 06:31 PM

its the cycle

90s will make a comeback. cross color jeans and backwards clothes. just watch.

[/b]

THE 90'S ARE WEIRD BECAUSE THE FIRST HALF OF THE DECADE IS A LOT DIFFERENT THAN THE SECOND HALF.

FIRST HALF: CROSS COLORS, HIGH TOP FADES, OVERALLS WITH THE STRAP DOWN, GANGSTA RAP, STARTER JACKETS, GOLD CHAINS, AND STUFF THAT CAME FROM THE 80'S LIKE BIKER SHORTS AND GUESS JEANS

SECOND HALF: FUBU, SHINY JUMPSUITS, GOGGLES ON THE HEAD TILTED TO THE SIDE, CLOSE-CROPPED CEASERS, PLATINUM CHAINS (ARRIVED IN '99), JIGGY/BLINGBLING RAP, BACKPACK HIPHOPPERS,

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Apr 1 2006, 06:23 AM

but also there's the kids that weren't alive then that have no idea why they're doing it other than the fact that they see other people doing it and they think it's cool.

Yeah the worst is how all these fools "dress" like they are back in the day...... argghh that makes me sick!

i think it may be a 20 year thing...during the 80s we were all mad about 60s popular culture.

plus everyone who was tennagers in the 80s is now old and the memory is selective! I remember in the 90s people were crazy about 70s culture - growing up in the uk i can tell you the 70s was fucking shit! only punk saved the day...

besides all the best things happen at the end of decades...late 70s = punk/new wave etc late 80s = house/techno/hip hop etc goes global etc late 90s = ermmm ok its a crap theory!!