Why are people obsessed with the 80's?

Raw fish

Originally posted by Raw fish+Apr 1 2006, 02:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raw fish - Apr 1 2006, 02:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-BAN-THIS!!!@Apr 1 2006, 01:42 PM

Anyone notice that the only people on here defending the 80's were the ones that were in diapers at the time, and everyone else that clearly remembers the 80's knows that it was one of the worst decades ever?

i was in diapers in the 70's. here's 9 awesome things about the 80's off the top of my head, you even try and tell me they sucked and you're ip address is getting condemned:

1. the goonies

2. public enemy

3. graffiti on trains

4. it was still ok to eat mcdonalds

5. michael jordan

6. transformers

7. warheads

8. airwolf

9. skateboards

im with you on all counts there... but thats not the shit people are obsessing over...

[/b]

but i'm saying, he was trying to say the whole decade sucked, which it definately did not.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think so. last time i was there i went to some random bar and gay dudes kept checking me out and trying to feel me up. i think i might have made the mistake of taking two beautiful girls to the spot. i think that might be code for "i'm gay". where was i going with this? oh yeah, if that's what the bars are like i'll skip the clubs. oh, and what's with getting carded for booze in this country? i'm nearly 30 for christ's sake

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Apr 1 2006, 04:54 PM

i don't think so. last time i was there i went to some random bar and gay dudes kept checking me out and trying to feel me up. i think i might have made the mistake of taking two beautiful girls to the spot. i think that might be code for "i'm gay". where was i going with this? oh yeah, if that's what the bars are like i'll skip the clubs. oh, and what's with getting carded for booze in this country? i'm nearly 30 for christ's sake

YOU SHOULD BE GLAD YOU'RE GETTING CARDED IT MEANS YOU STILL LOOK YOUNG.

I GOT CARDED FOR CIGGARRETTES AT WAL-MART BECAUSE THE LADY THOUGHT I WAS ABOUT "16." GREAT FEELING AND I'M IN MY EARLY 20'S

I dont know about the rest of you, but i love these 80s throwback girls. I like 80s night. Its way more fun than gettin kicked out of a club for throwing your set up to some little john bullshit. The way things went in the 80s with consumerism, sports cars, car phones, big stereos with mad knobs, americans indulging in state of the art technology of all kinds, its a revival of that, only now the big stereo with mad knobs has been replaced with 20 kinds of ipods, laptops and cell phones that take pictures, video, and play 100s of your favorite jams. (from the 80s) the only thing that has been embraced by the 80s is the fashion sense and music really. Nothing else has changed.

yuck 80s baby.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Apr 1 2006, 11:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Apr 1 2006, 11:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Raw fish@Apr 1 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Apr 1 2006, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by BAN-THIS!!!@Apr 1 2006, 01:42 PM

Anyone notice that the only people on here defending the 80's were the ones that were in diapers at the time, and everyone else that clearly remembers the 80's knows that it was one of the worst decades ever?

i was in diapers in the 70's. here's 9 awesome things about the 80's off the top of my head, you even try and tell me they sucked and you're ip address is getting condemned:

1. the goonies

2. public enemy

3. graffiti on trains

4. it was still ok to eat mcdonalds

5. michael jordan

6. transformers

7. warheads

8. airwolf

9. skateboards

im with you on all counts there... but thats not the shit people are obsessing over...

but i'm saying, he was trying to say the whole decade sucked, which it definately did not.

[/b]

Actually this was my first post in here.

<!--QuoteBegin-BAN-THIS!!!@Mar 31 2006, 08:55 PM

I'm with this guy. Everything about the 80's sucked ass except for the graff, Punk-rock, Some of the Hip-hop, and metal (not the GLAM-ROCK hipsters are hyped on). But that aint the shit these idiots are hyped on. They're all hyped on the flat out awfull shit from the 80's.

20 years from now all the kids are gonna be jocking Nickleback and Stained like it's some classic throwback shit. :yuck:

My bad for leaving out skateboarding, the Goonies and Airwolf.

You'll get no arguement on that.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@Mar 31 2006, 05:23 PM

Probably a few reasons:

1) all of us were kids then, and, generally, being a kid was fun.

2) along the same lines, most of our first memories are from the 80s/80ish things.

3) the camp/irony factor, since, as you said, the 80s were "CRAP."

Just off the top of my head.

this sums it up perfectly...

i was at an 80s dance party last night i think?

Guest Resurrection
Originally posted by mr.yuck@Apr 1 2006, 05:26 PM

I dont know about the rest of you, but i love these 80s throwback girls. I like 80s night. Its way more fun than gettin kicked out of a club for throwing your set up to some little john bullshit. The way things went in the 80s with consumerism, sports cars, car phones, big stereos with mad knobs, americans indulging in state of the art technology of all kinds, its a revival of that, only now the big stereo with mad knobs has been replaced with 20 kinds of ipods, laptops and cell phones that take pictures, video, and play 100s of your favorite jams. (from the 80s) the only thing that has been embraced by the 80s is the fashion sense and music really. Nothing else has changed.

yuck 80s baby.

ALTHOUGH YOU'RE RIGHT THAT THE 80'S INVOLVED AMERICAN'S OBSESSION WITH ACQUIRING "THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY" I THINK IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY MORESO THAN THE 80'S IN THE PAST 5 YEARS. YOU GOT BLACK BERRY'S, EVERYBODY I SEE HAS A CELLPHONE (WITH A CAMERA), DIGITAL CAMERAS HAVE ALMOST COMPLETELY REPLACED FILM CAMERAS, DVD'S HAVE REPLACED VHS TAPES, VIDEO GAME COMMERCIALS ARE ON EVERYTIME I TURN ON THE TV, PLASMA/LCD TV OBSESSIONS, WIRELESS INTERNET, SATELLITE THIS AND THAT, IPODS/MP3 PLAYERS, PALM PILOTS, LAPTOPS, ETC.