Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Raw fish

Why are people obsessed with the 80's?

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

oh, right, i was waiting for someone to explain this shit to me... discuss...

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Originally posted by Raw fish@Mar 31 2006, 05:15 PM

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.

Probably a few reasons:

1) all of us were kids then, and, generally, being a kid was fun.

2) along the same lines, most of our first memories are from the 80s/80ish things.

3) the camp/irony factor, since, as you said, the 80s were "CRAP."

Just off the top of my head.

here's my rationale toward the whole 80's fever going on:

people are collecting alot of shoes/clothes/toys etc from the 80's because when they were a kid in the 80's, they were too broke for any of that shit. i know i was. so now that they've got money, that's what they're going for.

but also there's the kids that weren't alive then that have no idea why they're doing it other than the fact that they see other people doing it and they think it's cool.

oh, and there was some kick ass music back then too....the cure, echo & the bunnymen, new order....the list goes on

cause a lot of us were either youths or in our teens and it reminds us of our childhood in a way.......duhhhhh

your peeps will probably tell you how cool the 50's and 60's were right....

Originally posted by SneakandCreep+Mar 31 2006, 02:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SneakandCreep - Mar 31 2006, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Raw fish@Mar 31 2006, 05:15 PM

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's?  Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986.  Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it.  If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it.  Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different?  I hate this 80's revival crap...

Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.

[/b]

duh...and you used to have toys that can hurt you, the candy that rotted your teeth, and fuckin' bitchin' movies and cartoons that you shouldn't have been watching when you were young. you know, all the good stuff. now it sucks to be a kid, everything is so safe. you don't get to make your own toys out of tv boxes or make cool forts anymore.

pop culture and garbage go hand in hand? :(

.............although i wiil say this, Boogie Down Productions knows my posse resides on broadway.

the 80's were the teenage years of little america, now we are in the downwoard spiral of adult hood.

seriously, cartoons these days are shit

the 1980's were the golden age of saturday morning cartoons.

But as far as 80's fashion goes....i can't stand the fucking sight of it

naw, i understand that things were better/cooler/easier then... I just can see focusing on things that have past and not thinking forward... my thinking is like, hey, that stuff was cool, lets see if we can do better and make NOW even more awesome...

and yeah, there was some kick ass music then, but the crap everyone loves from then sucks... or maybe I just dont like synthasizers in my music....

Originally posted by AlwaysBombin+Mar 31 2006, 06:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlwaysBombin - Mar 31 2006, 06:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fuse=--action@Mar 31 2006, 06:32 PM

a lot of my friends are hipsters.

I'm sorry

[/b]

I appreciate your condolences.

-fuse.

i went to some girls crib once with my boy whose like 30 something . anywho long story short bitch hafd like 30 new movies she just bought and had never seen. her friend told her where good.

wait

im drunk

fuck this story

Originally posted by podrido@Mar 31 2006, 07:27 PM

i went to some girls crib once with my boy whose like 30 something . anywho long story short bitch hafd like 30 new movies she just bought and had never seen. her friend told her where good.

wait

im drunk

fuck this story

1st nomination for best post 2k6!

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this