A question of wedding etiquette.

Weapon X

Here is the situation.

My brother is getting married in a couple of months, and it's gonna be sorta big. About 500 people.

I've been asked to invite some friends of mine. I've made into a list of 4 or 5 people, so far.

Now, my family is very conservative. I mean, they didn't vote for Harper, or anything, but the parents are extremely religious, and the word "sex" doesn't ever come up in this house. And my parents have never once asked to meet a girl I was dating, or even asked about her, period.

What's happening is, I'm very apprehensive on whether I should bring a date. See, my relatives from India (whom I adore) are going to be there, as well as many people from our cultural community, and I'm not certain I need a date up in there. It's complicated, but basically, I'm not comfortable with mixing girls with family.

It's hard to explain.

ANYWAY, here are my options.

a) Bring only some male friends and get drunk and hit on lovely Indian girls

b) Let the male friends bring their dates if they wish, but I can be comfortable in flying solo at our table.

c) Fuck it, bring a date (which leads to further complications, like - should she be really hot? Or really cultured? A good friend? A ho I picked up in the park by my house?)

Help me decide, ozers. I don't have much time until the invites go out. :gaga:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Mar 30 2006, 04:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Mar 30 2006, 04:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Mar 31 2006, 07:19 AM

And my parents have never once asked to meet a girl I was dating, or even asked about her period.

well, your parents asking about your girlfriend's period would be a rather uncomfortable situation, methinks.

[/b]

:haha:

damn, you're sharp.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 30 2006, 04:19 PM

Here is the situation.

My brother is getting married in a couple of months, and it's gonna be sorta big. About 500 people.

I've been asked to invite some friends of mine. I've made into a list of 4 or 5 people, so far.

Now, my family is very conservative. I mean, they didn't vote for Harper, or anything, but the parents are extremely religious, and the word "sex" doesn't ever come up in this house. And my parents have never once asked to meet a girl I was dating, or even asked about her, period.

What's happening is, I'm very apprehensive on whether I should bring a date. See, my relatives from India (whom I adore) are going to be there, as well as many people from our cultural community, and I'm not certain I need a date up in there. It's complicated, but basically, I'm not comfortable with mixing girls with family.

It's hard to explain.

ANYWAY, here are my options.

a) Bring only some male friends and get drunk and hit on lovely Indian girls

b) Let the male friends bring their dates if they wish, but I can be comfortable in flying solo at our table.

c) Fuck it, bring a date (which leads to further complications, like - should she be really hot? Or really cultured? A good friend? A ho I picked up in the park by my house?)

Help me decide, ozers. I don't have much time until the invites go out. :gaga:

\

Good situation, ‎

‎ If your friends are anything like mine I wouldn't bring those bastards. But then again I ‎hang out with scumbags (and they will tell you so too) but if your friends can "behave" if ‎you tell them the situations then bring them along. But I wouldn’t have them get to drunk ‎and belligerent if you ever want to talk to your family again. Bringing a date I would ‎apply the same rules to her, I would bring someone kind of cultured and classy, it will ‎impress the fam. On the other hand if you see a hot Indian girl (which I am sure you will) ‎it will be an extreme block of "the game". I would say fly solo, because if the movies ‎have taught us anything, it has taught us that horney single girls are a plenty around ‎weddings.‎

Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 30 2006, 04:19 PM

Here is the situation.

"Gonna"

Evident of laziness.....

"...and it's GOING TO be SORT OF big. About FIVE HUNDRED people.

As a police officer you need to uphold not only established law, but the laws of language as well sir.

Polish your badge!!!!

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Mar 30 2006, 04:25 PM

damn... wedding season.

fly solo, otherwise your girl will be getting pestered with 1001 'when are you two getting married' questions.

be solo at your family's wedding, unless it's really serious.

Very good point, dude. Same to you, SneakandCreep.

there's a lab down the hall and they are almost all Indian

so i kinda sorta understand what you're getting at

Ramars just had his arranged marriage, for example.

i'd say don't bring a date

if you don't have a girlfriend (or anyone in your life who is gonna get pissed they weren't invited) then just leave that barrel of monkeys at home

bring three or four male friends, sans dates.

unless they are just dying to drag a chick to a wedding with them, which i sorta doubt. most guys know they can get wrecked at weddings if they want.

plus you can mac on any and all single chicks.

weddings are good for that

Guest nutsonmychin!

i'd say if you're so worried than roll solo. even if your fam is cool it sounds like you're gonna be putting pressure on the chick without realizing. I wouldn't want to go to a wedding with someone who would be trippin so hard off how their family was going to receive me. smell me?

plus with 500 guests you should have plenty of ladies to rub elbows with and you wont be tied to one.

MAZEL TOV!

Are you going to be a part of the wedding party?

This will leave your date alone to be pestered or will leave your friends alone to possibly raise the roof and being that your family is conservative old school your friends actions might reflect back on you.

Something to think about.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Mar 30 2006, 01:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Mar 30 2006, 01:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Mar 31 2006, 07:19 AM

And my parents have never once asked to meet a girl I was dating, or even asked about her period.

well, your parents asking about your girlfriend's period would be a rather uncomfortable situation, methinks.

[/b]

damn!!....beat me to it!