making a print zine

Guest fr8lover

Guest fr8lover

im working on making a print zine split 8.5x11, one color page front and back (cover, back page, and both insides)...

ill be using pagemaker, for the simple fact that its whats on my computer...

any tips? tricks? to making it...ill print it on company dime hopefully...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest fr8lover

where can i get a full version? i tried downloading the demo (dont know if its crackable) and the ftp is either shitty or busy or the cap on my dowloads is really bad...

Guest catwash

get a shitload of cool/unseen flicks before (who wants to see the usual shit printed in b/w??), some funny editorial, a good photocopier and a different looking layout. Say goodbye to any free time at work, money and envelopes. Say hi to cool photo traders!

i been working on a print zine for a little while now, i have several issues to debate over before i print it, i have more than enough stuff heres my situation.

i have pagemaker 6.5 also, but my dillema is that it tends to get difficult for me to correlate the pages so that stories more than 1 page get printed in the right place, this is the biggest pain in the ass i find. is there some kind of function in pagemaker that can do this automatically?

i was just considering pasting all the shit to paper and heading to kinkos for the day, itll look sketchy but, i kinda like that look i think (anyone ever pick up "Kollision" in NYC? kinda like that but with articles...) i have articles that i personally think are hilarious, my pictures are good, i can get better flicks and shit easily from people, and its just centered around general fuckup-ery and basically conveys whats going on in my head onto paper in some form. and trust me its a mess up there...

im trying to decide the best way to go about this, i think just doing it all at kinkos is looking like the most cost effective way so i dont have to go through killing my home printer.

any suggestions? anyone want to contribute anything (trust me, anything is good...especially if its fucked up.)

nsk-vc

haha DAMN! i didn't know you could use computers and all that fancy shit for zines! i usually just cut and paste the articles and pictures, then xerox the pages a million times..... hahaha.. shit.. i've been doin it the hard way... oh well.. that shit's fun.. and very time consuming.. keeps my ADD in control...

fuckin DIY cut and paste all the way man... it works for me.. cut and paste the shit on the paper so that it looks how you want it to look when it's all folded over... copy it exactly how it is.. and you've got it... i always fold my paper first... then cut and paste the shit to that.. just so i know i've got everything laid out the right way before i go make a million fucked up copies..

Doesn't really matter how you put it together. I use Illustrator and Photoshop, which is sort of a pain because you can only do one page at a time, but then you just decide how many pages (always has to be in multiples of 4), fold up all the pages and stick stuff in with glue stick or tape.

Then get a job with copier and "work late" on fridays - and copy copy copy for free! Or do the copy-and-run technique at kinko's (you can do posters that way too). Also invest in a long stapler and a good ruler or bone folder.

A free zine is a well distributed zine, so beg, borrow or steal your way to making your zine!

if i get quark how does it work with photoshop? thats the original reason i used pagemaker, it works fluently with ps...and im really not all that interested in other photo programs.

there should be some kind of zine trading network.....

nsk-vc

dont front, kids. your zines suck and you know it.

it's because your using computers and programs that shouldn't be used for print zines, esp. xerox copied zines.

i've made zines for the past 4 years of my life, on and off, and from experience, i've always kept to doing everything by hand at the end of it. pasting everything by hand, laying out pages by hand, doing even extra graphic work by hand (there are so many possabilities when working with a copy machine, transpariences, and a good libary of images, text, etc., etc..).

diy or die.

dr fink...

i emailed you.. did you not get it?

!!! - i've done zines the cut and paste way, but as far as laying out text, resizing pictures, etc... any computer program is way easier. sure, donig it cut and paste is fun in its own respect, but what you can do with a computer far surpasses any analog process... diy or die? hell yeah, but you can still be diy using a computer...

God damnit, you guys are fucking dense....I've posted a million times....DC

Direct Connect is way better than limewire, kazaa, donkey 2000, or whatever the fuck else you wasted your HD space on....shit, I'm not gonna try anymore, I can only lead a horse to water. You want your damn quark xpress or photoshop or whateverthefuckitis, go there....and I don't to hear anyone asking where to get full version stuff anymore...your grounded!

Originally posted by !!!

dont front, kids. your zines suck and you know it.

it's because your using computers and programs that shouldn't be used for print zines, esp. xerox copied zines.

i've made zines for the past 4 years of my life, on and off, and from experience, i've always kept to doing everything by hand at the end of it. pasting everything by hand, laying out pages by hand, doing even extra graphic work by hand (there are so many possabilities when working with a copy machine, transpariences, and a good libary of images, text, etc., etc..).

diy or die.

Computers are good for spellchecking.

Archived