PIXACAO - SAO PAULO GRAFFITI

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PICHAÇÃO

Means 'pichadores: maintainance (buffing) costs of this facade keep us from giving money to the church/charity' sorta

for the record, pichação has been a part of São Paulo since around 1982 - and that had nothing to do with Beat Street or any other contact with NYC graff. It was buidling off a political graffiti tradition that began in the 1960s.

And Philly has been going since, what - 1965 or so? The new book Public Wall Writing in Philadelphia (freenewsproject.com) has a lot of that info, btw....

The tsssss book is nice, I have it - there is cool super rookie card blackbook stuff of the gemeos, herbert, vitche, etc. Wish it were even longer and had more info!

before the next neighbourhood king once again calls bullshit on this style, let me emphasize this from the EYE article

The pichadores have developed a ductus or sequence of strokes which is concerned with structure rather than outline. The method is the same whether they use a roller or a spray can.

The form is conceived instinctively based on structural and proportional criteria above all else, like a segmented line that has been integrated into a frame. It exploits the potential of a given space to the maximum.

If I understand this correctly, Pixação is nearer typography than tags are.

If you look at some of those writings you can see that the pixação writers fill a whole width of a wall with text, they don't start writing half-assedly from the middle of the wall and finish where the word ends. I cant read or follow half of this shit myself or really see the finest aesthetics of the style, but I acknowledge this and don't approach it like some sandy vag grandma approaches ink tags and silver fill-ins that don't look nice in the context of textile craft and knitting. Most you guys do exactly that while not even attempting to read what it says or make out half of the letters.

06photo025cn.gif

^ whole width from left to right.

To some extent these pixação guys seem to follow certain basic typography, like straight baseline, kerning and tracking. They seem to play around with the way a person usually reads words as pictures, not individual letters: they construct entire sentences that consist of highly decorational and "far-fetched" letters. Some also seem to pay a fair amount of attentiont to the negative space created between and in middle of strokes of the letters, to make the words visually balanced.

For random trivia I remember reading from the article that 80's heavy metal band logos influenced the styles and people die from falling off the roofs and windows while doing this shit. You just cant imagine the environment that makes someone want to write something with all those risks. it sure aint hip hop or random pussy

05diary0il.gif

^some certain tag influence there

03alphaa8vp.gif

04photo010qf.gif

^coundnt write any legible letters myself that way

1167236877_f.jpg

1167398524_f.jpg

OH WELL

TTSSS… pixação, the vastest art. São Paulo, Brazil

Interview with the author Boleta

- Ttsss book seems to be divided in 2 different sections: a first one with articles signed by different authors, a selection of drawings and amazing photos and a second section with 12 different alphabets in the typical Brazilian pixos style. How did you work on this project and how much time did you spend on it?

This book started when the Editora do Bispo saw my agenda. I have had this agenda (and maintained it) for more than ten years. Is where I collect the signatures of various pixadores. The original idea was to make this book solely about the agenda. But one thing leads to another and the project has grown. Joao Wainer already had photos from pixos through out the city and we got together to take some pictures “ in action”. Then the book became more interesting with the agenda and the photos, and the alphabet was a consequence. Nevertheless this alphabet is not definitive since every day there is someone else doing pixo with new forms of writing.

- The study of letters is probably the main focus of this book. In the graffiti world those letters became pretty famous with the OsGemeos and soon several people in the Europe, too, began to follow this style. Could you give us a short history about that maybe explaining the difference between graffiti stuff and street gang stuff?

Pixo is something you do very fast and the stile is always vertical. On the other hand grafiti spreads out the letters and drawings.

Pixo is hell and most people hate it and is considered pure garbage to make some durtiness. But grafiti is not considered that way because has colors and forms, even though both being illegal.

- Ttsss, the name of the book, represents the sound of the spray paint. But most of the pixos words that I could see until today were done with latex paint. Is there any evolution in the type of tools used for that?

It is not really an evolution. Spray is expensive and latex you can find in the garbage.

- How much the city background (in this case Sao Paulo) is important for the develop of a typical style in lettering? And what about in lifestyle in general?

The city background is every thing. The letters are vertical and full of edges by influence of the buildings and the city skyline.

If you want a window in to try reading some of this stuff, look at the photos that Santos L Halper just posted - TUMULOS - meaning 'tombs' - is up in each one.

And in the white tags on black paper image above where there was the comment that there was tag influence... well, maybe. When you go to Rio de Janeiro the tags look loopy and tiny - as different from Sao Paulo's as Philly's are from NYC. Rio's are always in spray paint, and to me are genetically closer to the Philly hands than the Sao Paulo tags are.

• 1 month later...

these hands are vicious. somebody just put me on to it, and its fresh. the spacing, the height, the pride and tradition in purely the letter forms, not tosses, burners, just letters, it is related to philly style, long lost cousins.... im not saying that one has anything on the other, but it would be dope to have a philly writer and a sao paulo writer go on a mission, write eachothers names and go tag for tag. philly style is older check http://www.nightcrawla.com like early 70s.... but ive known about it my whole life, and never knew anything about this, so this shit is exciting to me

1167236877_f.jpg

i thought i was the only one who caught up high tags like that. i know youre sick of hearing the philly comparisons but that hand is almost approaching a philly wicket in its proportions and execution.

Are you serious??? That shit looks like Vatoe or any other out of towner trying to mimic a tallhand. Where do you get wicked from?:confused:

Man, I kinda don't. Its bad enough seeing e-egomaniacs with all their soulless trains with bad letters and horrendously bad colour schemes, I couldn't handle it if I started seeing watered down trendster suburban twat pichacao.

To use an excessively graffiti hip hop quote to describe my feelings about dudes who dont appreciate or understand it:

"its not for you, so fuck you"

For real, It actually sickens me when I see people biting this shit.

THE ARGUMENTS IN THIS THREAD ARE QUITE COMICAL...

TO ADD TO WHAT ABRA AND OTHERS HAVE ALREADY SAID...

THESE KIDS ARE POOR!!!, THEY DONT HAVE COMPUTERS, THEY PROBABLY KNOW NOTHING OF PHILLY.. ITS TWO TOTALLY DIF STYLES!!!

THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE ALIKE IS THAT THEY BOTH ARE SKINNY TALL LETTERS..

YOU PEOPLE ARE PROBABLY THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SAY ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK ALIKE..

i can say in confidence that Brazil has about the rawest, unique, un-internet influenced street graff scene in the world..LEARN ABOUT IT..

196212153_fbe74df3a1.jpg

279242037_88fd5a0378.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i think the point being made by the author of the original article is the point being missed by the majority of the people commenting on this thread...and its a problem that re-occurs through all avenues of life due to a lost handle on why we do any of this stuff, which comes naturally from our hearts and minds...

cave men starting writing in caves, not so in 2007, we can make museums out of them and charge $15 a head to view them, but as a sign of communication because they could not speak... then the cave man began making more constructed sounds and pointing and these sounds became more and more like words and then the words spread like wildfire and seperated into languages

. so the brazilian writers are just rocking out this crazy raw, pure art because this is what they know how to share and we are like the museum builders charging admission... "oh wellll, this means this, or this means that." i am not belittling brazil or calling them primitive people but this graffiti in essence is primitive and RAW!!! which is refreshing, no?!!!

communication is, as a human being, one of our most important tools. it lets us know we arent alone, it lets others know they arent alone. it is a primal urge. (more forgotten gems we can talk about some other time)

this is why all cultures prior to western domination have these re-occuring qualities. language, tattooing, shamans, values, places of worship,ceremonies, these are primal urges that are inherint in every one of us. its is part of our makeup, it is in every piece of DNA. without the interuption of greed, jealousy, mtv, fox news, your neighbor's car, worrying about your weight, these things prosper.

when they are interrupted is when they slowly start to die. i, as a westerner, am part of that, but i realize it and would like to change my people being a blackhole where culture goes to die.because my people will see this as a chance at profit, something marketable, or ridiculeable.

classic saying DO NOT JUDGE WHAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND.

so every time someone says "oh this looks like *insert graffiti lingo here*" you are subscribing to the mindset that destroys these cultures. you have become so dethached from what it was inside of you that made you want to write graffiti in the first place that all you can see are your own comapreable realities. you are lost brothers. come back home. dont be fast to judge. only judge what isnt truly from the heart. signing out . one.

THE ARGUMENTS IN THIS THREAD ARE QUITE COMICAL...

TO ADD TO WHAT ABRA AND OTHERS HAVE ALREADY SAID...

THESE KIDS ARE POOR!!!, THEY DONT HAVE COMPUTERS, THEY PROBABLY KNOW NOTHING OF PHILLY.. ITS TWO TOTALLY DIF STYLES!!!

THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE ALIKE IS THAT THEY BOTH ARE SKINNY TALL LETTERS..

YOU PEOPLE ARE PROBABLY THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SAY ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK ALIKE..

So in other words you're agreeing with what I said. Not with ABRA.

• 3 months later...