PIXACAO - SAO PAULO GRAFFITI

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by SecretAgentX9@Mar 17 2006, 10:51 PM

liking the aesthetic or not, you have to appreciate craziness of the spots...

i've seen videos with these dudes straight scaling the fucking buildings to get 'em.

I can deffinately appretiate the craziness of the spots. I don't see anybody in the states doing that kind of shit. I wouldn't be surprized if alot of these niggas fall to their death doing this shit. I think the spots alone overshadow their lack of style. I just thought it weird that ABC was claiming that the hands were good. You can't take shit away from giant tags on the side of giant buildings where you can't even tell how the hell they got up there though. I'm not hating.

Originally posted by BAN-THIS!!!+Mar 19 2006, 03:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAN-THIS!!! - Mar 19 2006, 03:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> I just thought it weird that ABC was claiming that the hands were good.

[/b]

i've been writing for 16 years and have an appreciation and understanding of the composition and aesthetics of their style that you probably can't comprehend yet. i'm not claiming they are good, they are good.

open your eyes and mind, and look at individual tags. look at the letter structures. look at the spacing. look at the similar stylistic rules running in each hand. yeah, some of them might be a little shaky, but so would mine if i was standing on an airconditioner sticking out of a 15th story window.

i'm not trying to attack you for not appreciating what these kids are doing, i'm trying to help you understand. there hasn't been anything new in graffiti for at least a decade. these kids are doing something completely original and unrelated to the graffiti that grew out of nyc and philly, and not only that, they're taking it to places it's never been before. i for one am in total awe of what they're doing, and i just wish more people were excited about it too. what these kids could contribute to graffiti worldwide is incredible, and i think more people should be paying close attention.

<!--QuoteBegin-Hector Lavoe@ Mar 19 2006, 12:42 AM

Gotta give respect to the fact that if they get roped.. it aint goin to be just a charge/jail time.. they'll be a nasty beat down..and i bet half the mofo's in here cant take that...

beat down? alot of these kids are looking at getting shot dead in the street like dogs if they are caught. sao paulo is no fucking joke.

Originally posted by BAN-THIS!!!@Mar 18 2006, 05:07 PM

I I just thought it weird that ABC was claiming that the hands were good.

The hands are great!!!! not all of them of course, just like in "normal" graffiti there's good and terrible shit, but look at the letter structures, all the letters are the same size and they are perfectly spaced, sometimes they even come up with some sort of a flare at the top, all this while hanging from a ledge or a window, that my friend is can control.

Guest KING OF HELL

yeah, i wasnt even trying to imply that the hands have no style and just give them merit on thier balls. what im saying is that you cant really mesure them the same way that you mesure some fancy newschool script.

two different styles.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Mar 18 2006, 02:57 PM

and i think more people should be paying close attention.

Man, I kinda don't. Its bad enough seeing e-egomaniacs with all their soulless trains with bad letters and horrendously bad colour schemes, I couldn't handle it if I started seeing watered down trendster suburban twat pichacao.

To use an excessively graffiti hip hop quote to describe my feelings about dudes who dont appreciate or understand it:

"its not for you, so fuck you"

Originally posted by PushbuttonWarfare+Mar 19 2006, 09:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PushbuttonWarfare - Mar 19 2006, 09:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mr. ABC@Mar 18 2006, 02:57 PM

and i think more people should be paying close attention.

Man, I kinda don't. Its bad enough seeing e-egomaniacs with all their soulless trains with bad letters and horrendously bad colour schemes, I couldn't handle it if I started seeing watered down trendster suburban twat pichacao.

To use an excessively graffiti hip hop quote to describe my feelings about dudes who dont appreciate or understand it:

"its not for you, so fuck you"

[/b]

i didn't mean it in a "you should adopt this style and wreck your hood" kinda way, i meant it in more of a "broaden your horizons and get amped on the madness" way. kids outside brazil doing this is just as retarded as a kid outside of philly doing philly scripts. just cos i'm not from philly and don't write like that doesn't mean i shouldn't pay attention and appreciate what those kids are bringing to graffiti.

Originally posted by THISGUY!@Mar 19 2006, 07:06 AM

That shit has zero letter structure or skill.

Are you serious? Look at the first peice pictures below, and look at how just the E's have been structured, doesnt it fascinate you that this style came COMPLETELY from scratch?

brazil0023jz.jpg

The funny thing is i bet you i could bite the fuck out of the overall structure and formation of those letters and slightly modify them to look more like conventional graffiti with pretty colours and the masses would be all over it like it was the flavour of the month....

After so long, dont you get tired of bubbles and arrows?

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Mar 18 2006, 01:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Mar 18 2006, 01:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by BAN-THIS!!!@Mar 19 2006, 03:07 AM

I just thought it weird that ABC was claiming that the hands were good.

<!--QuoteBegin-Hector Lavoe@ Mar 19 2006, 12:42 AM

Gotta give respect to the fact that if they get roped.. it aint goin to be just a charge/jail time.. they'll be a nasty beat down..and i bet half the mofo's in here cant take that...

beat down? alot of these kids are looking at getting shot dead in the street like dogs if they are caught. sao paulo is no fucking joke.

[/b]

Yeah, what's with this place? I mean, what type of government do they have? I saw a documentary and read an article on Sao Paulo. The whole sniping thing. What's the cause of all this hate that led to all this random shooting nonsense? Shit's uh.. really real out there.

I said nonsense. ;)

Yeah, this city is destroyed. I mean, for me, it's a bit hard to look at an individual tag when buildings (and buildings) are severely crushed like this. Plus, not too mention that some of these tags resemble each other. I guess it's like "English" graffiti/tags and the letters that are involved. That whole tagging with tar and then burning it is fucking amazing. That's insane.

There's a little something on Sao Paulo graffiti in the All Nation magazine. I'll scan it in whenever I have the time.

bump!

• 9 months later...