Mathematics....

Gunm

Originally posted by JohnnyHorton+Mar 9 2006, 12:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnnyHorton - Mar 9 2006, 12:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-saraday@Mar 8 2006, 10:43 PM

so.. no one can tell me how to type exponents?

apart from formatting, I am pretty sure exponents are expessed like this: x^2 would be x to the power of 2. yadig?

[/b]

In Word or any similar program there is something you can do called Superpositioning.

You would find it in the edit > format or something like that.

-fuse.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not trying to brag...but math comes hella easy to me...i even got an a in stats....i finished my last math class a year and a half ago....i dont ever have to take a math course in my entire life ever again!!....but chemistry......fuck....that shit is the most difficult shit to understand ever!!!!!....i swear to God i fuckin hate chemistry!

Originally posted by splint2@Mar 9 2006, 01:56 AM

dear god...

i never thought i'd see the day this was being discussed on 12 oz...

what the fuck

what the fuck.

well, the fuckin shit is pretty cool to people who understand it.

unfortunately the english language is no assistance in learning math (unlike asian languages, which help kids prep the mind to do math, according to some studies i read about)

people can be edumacated on 12oz yknow.

i think it's great that a member even knew what vectors were, much less differential equations in physics.

nothing wrong with a good education

i have a degree in biochem and molecular biology but i still hang out around here.

good book.

mathgene.gif

^Symbols- I was at a lecture last year about the limits of knowledge and this professor was using very simple logical proofs to elucidate his idea to the group, but this one girl kept attacking the validity of his method. While seemingly disjointed from the current conversation... What you were saying about asian languages preparing people better...right on. The girl couldn't concieve of one of his figures because she was so stuck on the meaning of it. I have been thinking about the problem of logic in english vs. other languages for a bit now. I think the difference lies in the implications of the language. Ideographic languages such as japanese use singular symbols(ha) to convey whole concepts while english is forced into a reductionist circle because of the nature of our language is expressed visually. Singular symbols put together in different configurations to express singular uncontextualized concepts.

I have a meeting to go to about drinking... so ill finish this when i come back... but yeah, there are a couple people on this board im really interested in discussing this stuff in depth with.

the book above you would like

i haven't finished it because i got caught up in a fucking middle east history book that is taking forever for me to finish

but that book is where i first read about that language thing

he had some other super cool notes in there abou tother hsit too

like how it is inherently difficult for most people to remember the answers to

3 X 9

4 X 7

for example

he listed a couple other ones too, and they really were th eones i had trouble remembering as a kid studying tables.

other cool shit about math in that book too.

i thought i was terrible at math

i did well in geometry but not well in trig or algebra

i needed calc and failed pre-calc the first time i took it

took it again, passed

got a good teacher for calc I

loved it, and came back to crush calc II and have a good time doing it.

In an unexpected twist of fate as I stared blankely at my electrodynamics exam tonight, I realized that I'd much rather study philosophy... Awesome...

So... I'm gonna have to completely restructure the next two years of my study... Almost two decades of knowing what I want to do only to have the manifestation of doubt come through in the form of not remember how to apply shit of the concepts I have been learning. I was able to do the work for the last couple weeks, but come test time... noooo. I guess that is also evident of the fact that I haven't been required to take a test in the last two years but have written an intense amount.

I still wanna focus on physics and mathematics but purely the philosophy of such I suppose... hmmm odd night.

edit for continuity in capitalization...

Originally posted by shape1369@Mar 10 2006, 02:45 AM

I still wanna focus on physics and mathematics but purely the philosophy of such I suppose... hmmm odd night.

That's a cop out man. The math can be intimidating but it's still an integral part of understanding physics. You can understand Quantum wave functions and some of the strange phenomena they describe but, trust me, your understanding will be a lot deeper once you've studied the mathematics of it. Same goes for many parts of physics. As far as I'm concerned, philosophy goes nowhere. That's not to say that physics is the be all end all of understanding reality, but from what I know of philosophy (mostly Plato,) that approach is ultimately less satisfying. I feel you though. Physics can beat your ass every now and then, but just as often you get little epiphanies about what's going on that balance it out.

Xeroshoes- It's not a copout. Its a decision long in the making. Over the last year or so I have been moving more in the direction of philosophy. I realized I was always more concerned with the questions of philosophy but looked at those questions through the perspective of physics. Believe me, I whole heartedly believe in an intrinsic connection between philosophy and science. I just have really gotten into the philosophy of science. I think that the problems I had on the test were more so a reflection of that choice. I understood the concepts on the test. I got back to my apt. and did like two problems that were on the test, just for some reason couldnt translate it to the test while I was taking it. Call it an awkward moment of clarity if you will. Either way, I will always be concerned with issues of science and its relation to truth.

I just think philosophy as a course of study is self-defeating. I spent a long time reading literature and some philosophy on my own, but I think the inevitable conclusion of any such study (and this applies to physics as well) is to completely discard the whole Platonic idea that an academic approach to philosophical questions actually achieves any progress. It's easy to get caught up in language and dialectic and end up wasting your time. And when you get to the point where you realize this, you find, ironically, that you have conditioned yourself to become exactly the opposite of what you set out to become. You realize that you want to go back to a more direct, in some respects artistic, method of approaching the world around you, but you have become trapped by a bunch of academic nonsense. Aldous Huxley treats this problem very well in Point Counter Point and The Doors of Perception. Physics isn't exempt from this either, but I think recent developments in quantum physics are beginning to break down the sense of logical absolutism that still largely dominates western thinking. Physics is actually becoming more and more in tune with Eastern philosophy. Maybe you've considered all this; but if you have, then how do you reconcile yourself to the conclusion that philosophy pretends to answer questions that don't really exist definitively? What's the point? What do you expect to find? Honestly I'm still conflicted about why I'm studying physics; I guess I've convinced myself that, no matter what, there's some practical use to a physics degree. Damn, writing all this out makes me feel like a hypocrite.

shape

stick with science

it will always be able to provide you with a window to a decent job

and philosophy will not

while it may be more enlightening, or just more fun, to philosophize and ponder, it won't lead to a happy work life.

philosophy rounds you and your mind out, and in conjunction with science, will make you a very capable and astute problem solver that will be very attractive to many potential employers.

i know someone with a degree in philosophy who copped a job at the post office

i know someone else with a degree in philosphy, and also biochemistry, who is now in medical school at one of the better places

I see what you guys are saying, and believe me I've given a considerable amount of thought to the way this is gonna impact the near and far future. And it really isn't that big of a difference of what I was already planning. Grad school and then probably teaching afterwards. I'm ok with the idea of doing that. However, should I not go to grad school or pursue some other higher education. I have a couple other ideas that I can fall back upon. Anywho, Thanks for yall's input. It is interesting to hear what people have to think of the choice.

Xero- I definitely understand that philosophy doesnt really yeild progress. Again, I'm cool with that. I just wanna think. And who honestly is to say that we can't help refine techniques in normal science through examination of method and discourse from a philosophical perspective. I think reflection upon Structure alone shows that one can help streamline the scientific process through a philosophical means.

It wasn't a particularly easy idea to accept. I have been studying physics for so long, and I will always keep it as an academic interest. Just not the central one.

i can't stand math.. i wish i had gone to college straight out of highschool..so that i wouldnt have to go backwards..and start with a noncredit beginning algebra..which i took twice..and now im in intermediate..and i still suck..

we always get these review shits before a quiz/test that we have to turn in..so i thought i would have to turn this sheet in.. and i went to go get turtored.. by the time we got to the last few problems all i heard was "womp womp womp womp" then i went to my class.. realized after doing all those problems i didnt have to turn this one in bah...and the proff started talking..and all i heard was "womp womp womp" and i told him my brain hurt