Mathematics....

Gunm

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by SteveAustin+Mar 8 2006, 02:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveAustin - Mar 8 2006, 02:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hulk hogan@Mar 8 2006, 04:42 PM

was he supposed to be only a C student?

he failed it two times before....so even a C seemed like a miracle to him.

nothing bad ever happened and my friend got paid.

[/b]

I bet geometrey set that guy a couple years back...

Originally posted by saraday+Mar 8 2006, 03:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saraday - Mar 8 2006, 03:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>god, i'm taking precalc and physics right now and i'm not doing too well.

tests tomorrow and tuesday. :(

i just dropped 100 bucks on a TI83 so i can calulate vectors and check my answers but i still suck.

HELP!!$()**)@#*!_)(#*@_)(#$

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-saraday@Mar 8 2006, 03:24 PM

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

GOTS TO LOVE THE QUADRATIC EQUATION

ps: how do i type exponents?

the TI83 is really worth the money if you know how to use them... just go online and look for programs you can cheat with then make them and you can just type in the problem and it will tell you the answers.

to get higher exponents than 2, you press ^ then the number

without that calculator my A- in math would be like a D

Ive got a test in my electrodynamics class tomorrow. Between that and my advanced calc class, I

have about as much math as I can handle in my life right now. I spent an hour today listening to a

professor derive the prime gradient of a normal vector to a cloud of charge exhibiting dipolar

behavior yada yada yada. Only to find out (four pages of notes later) that I can treat the entire

situation like a surface charge distribution issue (much easier). The only reprieve I have from

this life of math is philosophy of science classes... this semester is intense...

edit for punctuation...

Originally posted by saraday@Mar 8 2006, 03:24 PM

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

GOTS TO LOVE THE QUADRATIC EQUATION

ps: how do i type exponents?

that's a polynomial. the quadratic formula is as follows:

(-b +/- sqrt(b^2-4ac)) / 2a.... i use this in my engineering classes still.... and it seemed so harmless back then

and a ti-83 is what i have... it's alright, it has a lot of functions... but if u want insta answers in ur hand for higher level type shit, the ti-89 is the way to go. i know kids in my dept. who just plug anything in that calculator, and get answers... meh, i got matlab on my comp

On this subject, I just got a great MOTD when I logged in as root.

Two men are in a hot-air balloon. Soon they find themselves lost in a canyon somewhere. One of the two men says, "I've got an idea. We can call for help in this canyon, and the echo will carry our voices to the end of the canyon. Someone's bound to hear us by then!"

So he leans over the side of the basket and screams out, "HEEELLLLLOOOOO! WHERE ARE WE?" (They hear it echo several times)

Fifteen minutes later, they hear this echoing voice: "HELLOOOOO! YOU'RE LOST!"

The shouter comments, "That must have been a mathematician."

Puzzled, his friend asks, "Why do you say that?"

"For three reasons. First, he took a long time to answer, second, he was absolutely correct, and, third, his answer was absolutely useless."

-fuse.

GoldenGeometry_1.jpg

rect3.jpg

monalisagold.jpg

pantheon.jpg

nautilus.jpg

coneflower.jpg

pileonardogoldenmean.jpg

Fibonacci The God

1=1

1+1=2

....1+2=3

........2+3=5

............3+5=8

................5+8=13

....................8+13=21

............................... .etc. etc. etc.

1 x 9 + 2 = 11

12 x 9 + 3 = 111

123 x 9 + 4 = 1111

1234 x 9 + 5 = 11111

12345 x 9 + 6 = 111111

123456 x 9 + 7 = 1111111

1234567 x 9 + 8 = 11111111

12345678 x 9 + 9 = 111111111

123456789 x 9 + 10 = 1111111111

123456789 x 8 + 9 = 987654321

12345678 x 8 + 8 = 98765432

1234567 x 8 + 7 = 9876543

123456 x 8 + 6 = 987654

12345 x 8 + 5 = 98765

1234 x 8 + 4 = 9876

123 x 8 + 3 = 987

12 x 8 + 2 = 98

1 x 8 + 1 = 9

mathematics is one of those "either you get it .. or you don't" type of things

I love math, and I don't get how my sister doesn't get it.

She's completely different than me.

For example, when first learning about trig, I didn't get it because all of the numbers seemed arbitrary. Her, she doesn't get it because she can't visualize the word problems. The numbers aren't even a problem because apparently numbers are always just numbers to her.

I don't get it.

-fuse.

Originally posted by El Mamerro@Mar 8 2006, 08:43 PM

I used to be real good at it, but my abilities decayed fast once I started drinking a lot.

Same thing with me, which is bad because I'm a physics major. I've found that college is probably the worst place to learn math. I had a teacher from the Czech Republic for multivariable calculus and I learned very little. Then I had teacher from Korea for Differential equations, same story. I managed to get B's in both somehow though. In any case, two semesters of college math didn't teach me nearly as much as two semesters of AP calc in high school. I also find that my vocabulary and spelling skills are decreasing due to alcohol. I stopped drinking and smoking dank for a couple months last year and I became crazy articulate. Oh well. I've met some legit physicists who partied down when they were younger...not many, but they exist.

Originally posted by LENS@Mar 8 2006, 01:43 PM

Easily my worst subject in school. I was never good at math, never will be I dont think. In community college I got drunk one night and lit my statistics book on fire i hated that goddamn thing so much...it was the most frustrating and teeth grinding obstacle i had in order to transfer to (blank)

I swear, I ccouldn't mathmetize myself out of a paper bag.....thank god my job entails only the most remdial knowledge of basic math.

And while we're at it, i need to calcuate a discount for a client. What's 10% of $6300?

you are not alone! shit, when I was younger I was a brain. Math problems were so easy for me to do.. 7 years later I forgot everything I knew.. since then Math had became my nightmare.. seriously. I was going to a community college here in Chicago, and failed my math, math is defenately my weakness... :hatred:

i have a hard time visualizing word problems, too.. i try hard and i study a lot, but i just can't get the thinking process down. some people can do it, and some just can't.

my grandfather is a physicist/mathemitician and my brother is about to get a degree in physics, minor in math..

i really wish i could grasp this stuff like they do. it's just not so easy for me.

Originally posted by Xeroshoes+Mar 8 2006, 10:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xeroshoes - Mar 8 2006, 10:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-El Mamerro@Mar 8 2006, 08:43 PM

I used to be real good at it, but my abilities decayed fast once I started drinking a lot.

Same thing with me, which is bad because I'm a physics major. I've found that college is probably the worst place to learn math. I had a teacher from the Czech Republic for multivariable calculus and I learned very little. Then I had teacher from Korea for Differential equations, same story. I managed to get B's in both somehow though. In any case, two semesters of college math didn't teach me nearly as much as two semesters of AP calc in high school. I also find that my vocabulary and spelling skills are decreasing due to alcohol. I stopped drinking and smoking dank for a couple months last year and I became crazy articulate. Oh well. I've met some legit physicists who partied down when they were younger...not many, but they exist.

[/b]

mamerro I feel you nigga, Once I started to drink my math abilities decaded more and more... nigga you are not alone.. shit..

Yeah back in highschool I liked all my math classes, even got an B+ in AP calculus. Then after a 2 year break from math, I take calculus this semester in college and now I'm on the verge of withdrawing to save my gpa. So it looks like summer session is necessary. I knew I shouldve taken the life sciences calculus instead of with the engineers. I don't see why a year of calc is required for medical school anyway. :rolleyes2:

I blame alcohol.