Bi Polar Disorder

Gigantic Jug

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who has never been diagnosed with it, but alot of people in his family have it and I mean you can just see it in him. One second he's happy, smiling, one of the funniest people I know to be around, and the next he hates everyone and doesn't even wanna speak it seems. Shit's rough sometimes

One of my best friends has it. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet really funny but i've had to talk him out of suicide too many times. Finally after seeing him do these 180s for four yrs. he goes to the doctor and they perscribe him some meds. I dont mean to sound like a commercial but he's fine now. He still has his sense of humor but he doesnt have these downers and he can handle his emotional problems.

Originally posted by figarofigaro@Mar 8 2006, 04:30 AM

nice pic!

and do you really think meds are meant to fix problems? far as i've seen they cover them up for a bit and eventually make them worse. but hey, go ahead and take a pill that "really makes you you"

Thank you, docter ignorant asshole. You should consider scientology, since they're a bunch of ignorant assholes, too!

Originally posted by Spuds Mckenzie@Mar 8 2006, 04:48 AM

Ok A good friend of my was diagnosed with this bullshit. Hes been adicted to medication ever since. When he doesnt take his medication he fiends for it and starts acting wild. AVOID!

You don't get "addicted" to it, your body builds up a steady level and when you go off it, it can create a manic episode. I'm not talking about Celexa or any of those, they can build up some sort of addiction. Bipolar people are not prescribed those types of drugs. Lithium, Depakote, Lamictal...these drugs are not addictive. And they do not "cover up" a mental illness. They help to keep it at bay. If you ARE bipolar, not treating it through medication means that it will never stop. You cannot be "cured" of bipolar. Not yet, at least.

That said, it's a serious illness, it is not the "new ADD". It is also not very common, kids mistake their adolescent mood swings for bipolar disorder. There are some careless doctors out there who might prescribe drugs for angsty teenagers and people in their early-20s (who can still be going through adolesence), and THAT will only harm them. You need to see a GOOD psychologist who will then refer you to a psychiatrist if he or she decides that you need medication.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by WhiteOx@Mar 7 2006, 10:36 PM

bi-polar is the new ADD

self diagnoses is the new black

EXACTLY

I have a fmaily member who actually is bi-polar, and that doesn't mean she acts kinda weird and gets a little mad here and there. She has actually by force been put in institutions, can't work steady jobs because despite the 6 meds shes on it still comes back in "episodes" and those same meds that make it so she can stay free of a hospital also make her essentially numb and socially incapable.

If you can think your bi-polar call up your mom, explain you're kinda bummed and see a doctor and get it out. You aren't bi-polar but you might be slightly depressed, which can lead to baseless mood swings -it isn't dramatic, it is easily treated if you want, and it isn't worth talking about with us just like athletes feet and crabs...

Originally posted by fermentor666+Mar 7 2006, 11:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fermentor666 - Mar 7 2006, 11:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Spuds Mckenzie@Mar 8 2006, 04:48 AM

Ok A good friend of my was diagnosed with this bullshit. Hes been adicted to medication ever since. When he doesnt take his medication he fiends for it and starts acting wild. AVOID!

You don't get "addicted" to it, your body builds up a steady level and when you go off it, it can create a manic episode. I'm not talking about Celexa or any of those, they can build up some sort of addiction. Bipolar people are not prescribed those types of drugs. Lithium, Depakote, Lamictal...these drugs are not addictive. And they do not "cover up" a mental illness. They help to keep it at bay. If you ARE bipolar, not treating it through medication means that it will never stop. You cannot be "cured" of bipolar. Not yet, at least.

That said, it's a serious illness, it is not the "new ADD". It is also not very common, kids mistake their adolescent mood swings for bipolar disorder. There are some careless doctors out there who might prescribe drugs for angsty teenagers and people in their early-20s (who can still be going through adolesence), and THAT will only harm them. You need to see a GOOD psychologist who will then refer you to a psychiatrist if he or she decides that you need medication.

[/b]

celexa and lexapro...anti depressants...but ferm is right...addiction city....counseling is good too..

i didnt read this thread.

this is odd i have heard of SO many people claiming Bi-Polar recently. lots of emo kids claim it. everybody has different personalities. get drunk, get over it.

wise man once say...

"you are as many people as groups you are apart of"

ps this may have nothing to do with you or whatever i dont care.

It's true that bipolar is the new ADD. This could be something else, entirely. Are you on the rag right now?

kidding.

But, for real, if you're knocking relatives out for no reason, you should go check the doctor. But make sure that HE is sure of his diagnosis.

I've known some people who claimed to be bipolar, and I couldn't see it. I've thought it about myself, too.

Whatever, fuck you lames. I'm disorganized schizophrenic and I don't complain half as much as the people on this board.

My sickness is great. I get all of the perks of being crazy without all the dangerous 'paranoia' stuff. Stop crying and spot your silver lining, assholes.

(yeah, I said it)

Originally posted by Gigantic Jug@Mar 8 2006, 12:24 AM

Is anyone struggling with bi polar disorder? I have not yet been diagnosed but those around me say for sure im bi polar. I recently just scheduled an appointment with a shrink and hopefully meds will be given to me... My homies say my mood swings are out of control and my rage is even worse.

I dont even think there is a word describing my type of anger. I go from thinking happy thoughts one second, then my mind drifts off to someone getting pussy pounded, then to me wanting to kill anyone and everyone. Right now im thinking clearly, but probably in a half an hour i wont even remember writing this thread, and it'll seem as if i am coming down off coke and i must admit, its the worst feeling ever. What i do to ignore my moods rapidly dropping is take it out on others and call them hurtful names, and somehow that makes me feel better. At the age i am right now i know im learning about life an growing but i doubt its normal to be so angry and violent. The thought of me getting worse then hurting people worse than i do now, scares me... I have beaten my older sister and slammed her head against my table and not even knowing it until i see her on the ground crying, i've also choked my friend in one of my classes without even realizing as well.

People please share your thoughts on this subject, if you are a victim of this type of harrassment, or if your bi polar and what you have done to help these irrational thoughts and violence.

haven't read the thread but.....

imo

this is not bipolar disorder

this is more like borderline personality disorder

if mood swings and anger are your problem, not depression and mania, you are not bipolar

some crapola from the web:

Borderline personality disorder is characterized by mood instability and poor self-image. People with this disorder are prone to constant mood swings and bouts of anger. Often, they will take their anger out on themselves, causing injury to their own body. Suicidal threats and actions are not uncommon. Borderlines think in very black and white terms and often form intense, conflict-ridden relationships. They are quick to anger when their expectations are not met.

Borderline personality disorder was so-named because it was originally thought to be at the "borderline" of psychosis. The disorder is relatively common, affecting 2% of adults. Women are much more likely to suffer borderline than men. Nearly 20% of psychiatric hospitalizations are due to borderline. With treatment, patients are often able to see their symptoms improve.

and from Stanford:

A person who suffers from this disorder has labile interpersonal relationships characterized by instability. This pattern of interacting with others has persisted for years and is usually closely related to the person's self-image and early social interactions. The pattern is present in a variety of settings (e.g., not just at work or home) and often is accompanied by a similar lability (fluctuating back and forth, sometimes in a quick manner) in a person's affect, or feelings. Relationships and the person's affect may often be characterized as being shallow. A person with this disorder may also exhibit impulsive behaviors and exhibit a majority of the following symptoms:

* frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.

* a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

* identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

* impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

* recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

* affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

* chronic feelings of emptiness

* inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

* transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

http://mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=517&cn=8

Originally posted by fermentor666+Mar 8 2006, 01:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fermentor666 - Mar 8 2006, 01:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-figarofigaro@Mar 8 2006, 04:30 AM

nice pic!

and do you really think meds are meant to fix problems?  far as i've seen they cover them up for a bit and eventually make them worse.  but hey, go ahead and take a pill that "really makes you you"

Thank you, docter ignorant asshole. You should consider scientology, since they're a bunch of ignorant assholes, too!

[/b]

yea cuz the FDA cares about people not money?

my mom has it. dont listen to all these people that are saying avoid the meds, cuz they are actually really good for us (this is definitely the type of illness that affects more than just the one person). once in a while, shell run out of meds, or the insurance will get fucked up, and she pretty much has to lock herself in her room so she doesnt do wild shit, like one time, she thought it would be cool to go ski jumping. the meds give her a sense of normalcy. the only thing that sucks is when the meds have bad reactions with one another, but that doesnt even happen that often.

Jugs, my brother is OUT OF HIS BOX bipolar (rapid cycle). no joke.

to all those who shun medication, fuck you. i have seriously seen a MASSIVE change in my brother, definitely for the better. and yes, he is by all means still himself. so fuck you again. it may take some trial and error when coming up with a treatment plan (involving medications) but it's totally worth it.

but meds without therapy is just stupid. you really need both in most cases.

*edit: i just remembered you havent been diagnosed yet, so chill.

it's very easy to talk yourself into being crazy. trust me i do it all the time.