mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

for anyone thats interested on where im at with this....

a while ago id looked at an 83 shadow. 9k miles. nearly perfect shape considering the age. asking $1800. i didnt snatch it up in time, and someone else got it.

spend 2 months fighting with my girl about bikes. pass MSF, get license, go to buy a bike (04 vulcan) girl bugs, get kicked out, blah blah. next day im back, relationships are stupid blah blah.

a week or so later that same shadow i'd looked at pops back up on craigslist for sale or trade for tattoos. i send an email and within an hour the bike is mine if i want it. as a bonus, the woman wants cool ass shit, so no tribal barbed wire backpieces.

went out to get bike, wouldnt start. it had just been running 2 weks prior, so i knew it wasnt a big deal. got a trailer, had it taken in. after over 2 weeks of waiting for them to check it out, find out its a $50 part and it should be running by tomorrow. once running, they're gonna look over it and anything that may need to be fixed will come off the price of the bike. i know theres some rust in the gas tank, but im hoping it wont be too difficult to fix. everything else looks real solid. my buddy is a painter and owes me some favors, so shit is getting chopped and murdered out. stoked.

sorry for the long ass story. hopefully ill have the bike by sunday. next week at the latest. ill get pics up when i do.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Did you look at ebay? 83 750 shadow, right? You might be able to use the cams off an 84 or 85 700.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=(carb%2C+carbs%2C+carburettors%2C+carburetors%2C+CARBURETOR%2C+CARBURETTOR)+(1983%2C+1984%2C+1985)+(shadow%2C+vt700%2C+vt700c%2C+vt750%2C+vt750c)&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=(carb%2C+carbs%2C+carburettors%2C+carburetors%2C+CARBURETOR%2C+CARBURETTOR)+(1983%2C+1984%2C+1985)+(shadow%2C+vt700%2C+vt700c)&_osacat=0

hmm...

83's were 750, 84-86 were 700. would they have still used the same carb, even with a smaller cc? they probably would, huh?

i think the carb kit is the same for both engines, so they'd prolly have to be the same carb, no? you wouldnt use the same kit on two diff carbs.

the way it was explained to me... theres some sort of 'fuel' valve dial or switch or something on a carb. you turn it and i imagine it lets in more fuel. or maybe it doesnt. i dont know shit. well, apparently on one of the carbs, that fuel-whatever-it-is was fucked up by some yokel with a hammer or something who didnt know what he was doing. the guy said if it was fucked up in the right position, i might be ok, but if not, then the carb is fucked. hes gonna rebuild em and see what happens. im hoping it works. i dont wanna have to hunt for a new carb.

I would love to get a motorbike but my wife is dead against it, all because I crashed a motorcross bike 16 years ago without a helmet on and fucked myself up a bit bad, also because i used to ride bicycles quie recklessly everyone thinks I would ride a motorbike that way

i just love the sound of the fast jap bikes also the rumble of a decent chopper, maybe oneday

/stilldreamingofafastbikeowner

Solution: Kill your wife.

DO IT CHOC!!!

Its too far down on my list of things to do but headlights/fairings are probably the next thing for the bike. I just cant decide if I want to go for streetfighter or replace the crashed-out fairings with new clean sharkskinz and have a single subtle projector xenon headlamp on one side. The money i've put into my bike I'm never getting back out of it so I'll have this f4i at least until I graduate college and start my career. Mind as well pour more money into it.

DSC01954.jpg

Hahaha that's very gentlemanly of you, but i probably deserved it. I think a soup can for your radiator overflow would be fucking hilarious tho.

317.jpg

328.jpg

I think Joker would like this one. Its got him and Portland written all over it. Maybe not the color. he'd probably like the whole thing powdercoated satin black, or pearly white. $50,000 seems steep just for a bike with drops.

3637628593_be7cddabba_o.jpg

phantom_eg.jpg

More photos here: http://www.thephantom.co.uk/component/option,com_phocagallery/Itemid,12/id,1/view,category/

Dayumn! I like the looks of it. It looks much more like a crashed out and cleaned up racebike now.

That tail section looks like a good compromise between the street triple banana seat and a full road race split.

(banana split?!) Just needs to relocate the battery under the passenger seat, full race exhaust, and get rid

of that ugly front fairing, but it's not too far off from something like this:

retrosbk-018.jpg