mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

just priced insurance.

between $75-$250 a year.

that's almost comical.

anyone got advice on policies?

craiglist add tonight for an 83 shadow (the same one i almost tried to buy a couple months ago). guy is willing to trade it for tattoos. i dont particularly like shadows, but i'll do it just to get a free bike to fuck with.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My only policy is to have insurance. Also insure your bike for more than it's worth. If you want to be honest, Insure it for the bike, your aftermarket parts, and all the gear you're wearing since if you crash they wont cover the $1800 kit you've got on. Insurance companies dont fuck around. If there's any chance that you even slightly bent the frame from say, tipping the bike over at a stop light, they'll total it out and you'll come out ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
is a gsx 600 for a bad idea for someone who has never rode a bike before, yet plans to take the MSF course and ride it on backroads?

edit: weight is also a factor, I'm about 250.

Motorcycling can be incredibly physically demanding, plus a lot of the heavier guys looking to just cruise bitch about the comfort of a sport bike. I'd just go with a cruiser/touring type of bike. A GSXR 600's gonna kick your ass.

Yeah, I rock the Shoei RF-1000 as well... Matte Gray

rf1000_art.jpg

I tried on about six different helmets before going with the Shoei helmet. It fit the best and wasn't heavy like a few of the others. Something you want to think about if you think you'll ride any kind of distance, ever. Definitely try on several helmets before you decide. I lucked out that Shoei made a helmet that not only fit but matched my bike as well... because you know I gotta rock it like that.

I see a lot of guys wearing those modular helmets but they're mostly cops and adventure riders...

Yeah my RF-1000 took a beating in my crash and held together remarkably well. I didn't retain consciousness (something I would like to see in a helmet) but the shield didnt shatter, my chin is perfectly intact. It was light, gave me a wider field of view than the arai and scorpion helmets i tried, and turned out to be pretty aerodynamic.

Here's the new RF-1000 that's coming out this year. You can pick this one up in i think September, probably pick up an RF-1000 cheap then too.

Shoei_RF-1100.jpg