mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

Re: motorbikes!

I am a loyal follower of the scorpion brand. If you are gonna get legit boots (like the ones I am getting for track days) get high boots that go up to your shin. Other than that I think you can find something a little more casual with the same amount of protection. That Dainese Wave thing is cool but I mean if you get in an accident and start skipping accross the pavement whatever you wear on top of that is going to be torn to shreds instantly. I suggest going with a leather style jacket double stitched with armor in it.

I am telling you http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm fucking down to commute and sit in class looking like Valentino Rossi.

Okay, I'm gonna try NOT to ramble on for pages about clothing, because discussing apparel has 40 Year Old Virgin playing in my head.

"You know how I know you're gay?'"

I've gotta ask you guys if the cheek pump is a necessity. In other words, have any of you replaced, or thought about replacing your cheek pads?? If not I'd just might go with the EXO 700, because it's lighter, forms better to my face, the shell is smaller, AND I can get a fucking cheetah liner (jokes, but not really).

The fit on the exo1000 is really really tight. I have a hard time imagining ever breaking it in so much that I need the cheek pump. The internal visor and some of the other features might be nice but that's a lot of crap on my head and the overall shape of the helmet seems pretty bulky. There's still a chance I might end up buying it tho. I can't decide. Picking a helmet is serious business. Internet-serious.

The deals on that website are good but I've got to try jackets on before I buy them. For anything else, god bless the internet. Also every jacket I see on the internet and like isn't carried by a store on this continent, which is gay.

Suomy.jpg

This is the nicest looking jacket I've seen so far. I dont like the looks of Icon, Joe Rocket, or any jacket from the billion "urban" american companies. I die a little inside every time I see something "graffiti inspired." Like this. I was in Concord when I saw this surrounded by rednecks and my friend and I were just cracking up. The retailers looked pissed, which made it even funnier.

CBR600RR_graffiti.jpg

but on a serious note....

i have been wanting to get into riding a motorbike for a while now.

unfortunately i dont know anyone with a bike. and i have never tried it.

so........my question is how did you guys start out?

did you just buy a bike, and teach yourself to ride? i think you get my point.

sI just did a google search and your shit is crazy. I dont know anything about australian government but it looks like you've got different government agencies depending on what state you live in. Over here the department of motor vehicles is nation-wide.

For queensland there's this: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/Driver_licence/Getting_a_licence/Motorbike/Learner_licence/

For New South Wales there's this:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/motorcycle/learner_rider_licence.html?llid=7

And reading the NSW site it sounds like they offer a "pre-learner course," which is Australian for rider's ed.

I'd just do that for a couple reasons:

1. If you don't know anyone who can ride, who's going to test-ride your first bike? Get the license, then the bike. That what i'd do.

2. Over here that would constitute as a "safety riding course" which means insurance is cheaper. Maybe australia's the same way.

3. If you do have the misfortune of dropping the bike, it's not yours, so who cares?

4. You'll have an instructor there telling you what you're doing wrong, which I think helps

• Like 1

yeah cheers man.

i've been googling too. there are beginner courses (ie you have never been on a bike). you do that course first, they provide the bike, helmet, instructors and teach you everything. and thats over a couple of days. if you complete this successfully you get a learners permit. then after a few months you have to do a more difficult course in order to get your full license.

it seems like a good system.

not that i think anyone here is going to be that interested but i used to be the head graphic for Dream Machine here in the UK, they're a motorcycle paint company. Got contracts with the Rizla Suzuki BSB and Moto GP teams, both of which i produced work for :)

these days the company isn't really what it used to be but there's still some cool shit going on, check the website.

http://www.dream-machine.co.uk

i don't think i could have a bike for a while. knowing me i'd end up wrapped around a lamp post or some shit after getting a little too throttle happy, haha.

thanks bro.

i been thinking in a couple of years it'd be pretty awesome to have a gsxr600 to blast around on, my friend recently lent me 2 of the Ghost Rider DVDs, that dude is a fuckin' fruitcake, the run he does on a 'busa is mental, passin' trucks between the edge of the inside lane and the central reservation and shit... fuck that, lol.

Ive been reading a lot about this bike as being a great bike for beginners

looks, price, power everything is said to be good times

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263

coming in at under 5G, id probably buy this thing myself some time in the near future (licenses and schools pending)

what do you guys know about it

Kawasaki_Ninja_250R_2008_st3pz.jpg

hahahaha, my boy had one of those 250's and grew out of it in a month.

Get a 600 at minimum unless it's an older bike.

Then again, it really depends on your experience as a driver in general. My first ride was on an older Ducati Monster 750. My roommate said, "Ride it, you break it, you buy it." It took me a minute to get the courage, but once I did it and found that I wasn't going to lie it down unless I as an idiot, I was hooked.

Plus, I had been riding dirt bikes since I was a little kid. Just take it easy for the few months, and just when you think you've got it, take a step back and be careful. I thought I had that shit down pat, and almost killed myself by trying to use all brake to stop..

Good luck, and ENJOY IT!

trying to use all brake to stop? what all rear brake?

tell you the truth not gonna lie that kawi is dope I saw it at that motorcycle show in NY. MSRP is under $4k fyi. I would buy it learn how to rock it hardcore and then dedicate it as a small track bike. That shit would be so much fucking fun and cheap to pimp the fuck out on some insane hp.

Ahhh yes that scares me ABS is the new black out there. My dads R1100S has it, he is undecided about it and is siding on not really liking it since it takes less skill to ride. He does say it has made a difference and makes him more confident in the rain and loose terrain.