mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: motorbikes!

HEY! I own an '86 Suzuki 550es! Weeeeeiiird

side.jpg

front.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

I have an aftermarket lower fairing if you want it. It needs somebody work but who knows it could look dope...

I always wanted to do something with it but dont know if i could do the whole cafe racer deally to it...I've had it for like 3 years now its just sitting still runs shifts through gears and shit but I am to lazy to fix it up. Who knows though now I got a work shop...

Good call on the Pilot Powers..They stick to everything and they're fairly long lasting. I wouldn't use anything else..

the corsa's aren't bad either. I gotta deal and a half on the powers though...and they are super sticky. leaving in 15 to go hit some twisties in this kick ass 70 degree weather. wooooot!

Hah Some1 that is pretty weird. I like this bike. Im finding it strange how quickly im getting the hang of it. How much do those fairings go for? Not that id buy em, fairings are wayyy down on the list of things to buy.

Btw, thats not my bike in the photo. I dont have the super JDM looking saddle or the red rims or kerker exhaust. It is white and red like that. Same rims but white, one minor cosmetic scratchlike he laid it down when parking, and a yoshi exhaust that looks like he put it on when he first bought the bike in 83.

I also like how my tire selection is like 1. Apparently 100/90-16 and 120/90-17 are funny tire sizes.

Tires and chain are all it needs for the next year. If you know where i can get a saddle like that jesus I want one.

Also i scraped the fucking engine guard by leaning the bike too much. Shit.

Nah man keep them. Scraping the engine guard is only the beginning. Your fairings would be on and off my bike in like a day.

No i havent done tunnel yet. I do it all the time on my bicycle and fucking FLY down that shit. At this point id probably be going slower on the bike than bicycle, especially since I run those temporary stoplights theyve got clogging the road.

Oh, and the problem i find myself having is I dont know what im doing in traffic. Am i a cyclist or a motorist? I feel strange parking in car spots and actually caught myself parking it by the bike rack when i went to the movies today. At stoplights im definitely splitting the lanes squeezing through traffic every chance I get. Just doing what comes naturally.

thats funny

cus i find myself in the middle of 4 lane streets tryen to mob like i'm on my moto

i only realize i'm making a mistake when cars start passing me

----

on the parking tip; i usually park right the fuck up front.

sidewalk/grassy knoll/tanbark...whatever the fuck

last thing i want is some dumbshit backing into my bike

Oh and speaking of roads to ride cycling vs motorcycling. Cycling = downhill is better so my favorite set of turns would be on pinehurst coming from Redwood right before you intersect with canyon. Also wildcat canyon road after southpark and before san pablo dam road. Also on grizzly peak coming down the hill from the steam trains to clairmont is a good one. All of these are pretty easy to pass up cars around the turns. Oh and southpark: fastest road in the east bay. Easily hit 50+ without pedaling.

Just something to think about while youre falling on granite in downtown. ha!

Ill do southpark on a bicycle in the rain, but a motorcycle in clear weather scares me.

Ok so I just figured out I have $350 on my Pay Pal credit card...so $50 is going to new wire harness for the RC51 to get it running again. $50 for the stock undertail...

Should I go an buy a 1/6th turn throttle kit?

The stock throttle is a 1/4th turn which is 90 degrees of rotation from full close to full open. The HRC 1/6th kit is 60 degrees of rotation which allows you to go from full close to full open without re-adjusting your grip. It also makes it easier to blip the throttle while down shifting as less wrist movement is required.

My bike is running wayyy to rich right now. Choke all the way in, it still idles at 2,000 rpm and smells like gas. I dont know exactly how much gas ive gone through, but its not cheap. Any idea how to lean this thing out?

Also Im still trying to figure out how im gonna carry a bicycle on this thing. A guy in Oregon makes this:

gxrbikeside2.jpg

but because its labor intensive and requires the bike to be present so he can design mounting points, thats a no go.

Has there been any panniers for this bike? Maybe i can work with that.

i always had a bitch of a time with my cb 125's carb (first bike)

i checked yours out and found this:

"1. Does it idle smooth or rough? If smooth, I'd say the idle mixture is about right. Since you asked, the idle screws are to the rear of the carb bodies, but under EPA mandated plugs. However, if the previous owner had installed a jet kit (legal for off road only use :-)) the plugs would have been drilled and discarded. If a jet kit wasn't installed, it still sounds as if the jetting has been modified using the stock needles and different jets. If a jet kit was installed, try lowering the needles a little."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally geeking out about this bike, so I appologize in advance.

So it looks like the top speed is a staggering one hundred miles an hour! (For those that dont know in a car I would drive an average 100 mph in traffic, so "staggering" would be sarcasm) Or at least it's looking like it's a hundred. The tach sometimes falls off if I hit the acceleration too hard so I might do even 110 if I wasn't so terrified of wind. Im getting used to being at speed on two wheels so to even find out if it would do 100 I went looking for a long, empty, flat and true strip of interstate 80, then took my time inching up to speed.

It also looks like its getting about 53 miles to the gallon, so that's happy news! I'm still looking for a shop manual for this thing so I can fix the shitty headlight and lean out the engine. I also have gained a hated for unkempt lead acid batteries and cold weather.

I still need to detail out the bike and replace the annoyingly wobbly turn signals--and the busted grips. Soon as that's all done I'll post some pics.

Im pretty happy with what it is: a peppy light touring city bike that feels its best on shitty city roads or slowspeed backroads... or at least thats where I like it, where it feels nimble and fast accelerating, but I'm not freaking out because the rear mirrors are totally useless for checking if any police cars are back there somewhere.

I just havent been around a motor in two years so Im being a fruit and changing turn signals and cleaning up an $800 bike. Thats not really my normal perogative, to be nitpicky about the condition of a beater, but I think when you buy something used from someone you want it to feel like it's yours, so you change a couple small things about it. For me, I either need new grips, or I need to drop it on its side a couple times and brand it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Some1, nice looking shop dude. Braking cameras?

So I was working on my bike before class today, but when it came time to head to class I decided to leave the fairings off. Holy fuck 90 mph without any wind protection was unbelievable. I dont know if I had a headwind but my muscles were aching after a few minutes of non-stop painful wind trying to turn me into a parasail. Then when I exited the freeway I back down to 60 and there wasnt any breeze at all. It's amazing what difference there is between 60 and 90. I really dont know how anyone can ride at 160+. Everyone must have necks of steel.

Oh and I realized today the bike can go faster than 100. Apparently fifth is a pretty flat and useless gear (the clutch might be slipping in that gear, which would explain why the tach fucks up in fifth), but fourth will take you up to 120. I found this out inadvertently when I was splitting lanes home from school today and found myself at a red between a porsche 911 and an Audi RS6. The RS6 made a point to show that he was faster than me, but I didnt really care because by the time we were going 120 my jacket was a fucking blur in the wind and my head was about to fall off.

What's amazing to me is this happened last week when I was splitting lanes and I passed a camaro. I think sportscars are jealous that I can get around traffic and their horsepower is rendered useless most of the time. This dude chose to speed up, cruise next to me, and then try to spur me into racing him. Do these people realize Im riding on some bullshit I've paid less than a grand for? The concept of even wanting to test a sportscar against my beater is halarious. More halarious than between 0 and 70 Im usually ahead.

rs6's are retarded fast.

definitely faster than my bike in the long shot....but when mobbin' on the freeway -it's that 40-80 shit that leaves 'em.

that, and a set of balls.

-----

all in all; it's fun to show the 4 wheelers who's boss, but if they're the ones instigating a race with a bike... well... chances are, it's some dumbshit compensating for the size of his dick or a stole-o.

/////

best race i've had with a car was a miata on the backroads driven by some guy who knew how to wing that little fucker.

Craziest shit I've done riding wise is on my SV650 doing 100+ splitting lanes flying around the inside of corners passing cars chasing my buddy on his 07 GSXR1000. This is while he is ripping wheelies and getting off the bike skiing and shit. Other than that I don't like to race. Especially cause gsxr 600 eat my bike for breakfastt on the highway