mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

Re: motorbikes!

I've seen lots of pics (and google video) of Deal's gap.

The 2nd shot I posted, after the one of my ride, is my reigons version of the Gap.

It's non-stop twists and turns for 40km, which I think is like 30+ miles.

Apparently the SV series is one of the most forgiving rides to learn on (in that size)

and that's why there's so many of them out there. Lots of people buy them and then

lots of people move up to bigger bikes. I can't say that I've heard about them being

underpowered, but maybe that's the case. Certainly a GSX600 will have more balls

than the SV650 or V-Strom 650 (very similar engine but tuned for lower range torque)

If you do end up getting the 600RR make sure you get some frame/bar sliders.

There's no way a new rider isn't putting the bike down at least once. I did this weekend

because I had to piss so bad I pulled off into loose gravel and the bike just slowly tipped

to the right while I was sitting on it, not even moving forward. Dent in the can, no biggie.

Same thing on an RR.... could be major damage.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

1 2 3 found it!

Here it is what do you think help me decide...

This will be a little birthday present for myself...

If all works out in 2 weeks it will be in my drive way I am crossing my fingazz...

2000 SUZUKI SV650

Mileage: 5,250 miles

$3,995

295_img_0548.jpg

295_img_0547.jpg

295_img_0549.jpg

295_img_0546.jpg

Been on the fence about getting a motorcycle as well but everything I've looked at is 600cc's or higher. Too much bike for me.

As a teenager and even currently I have always been on the scooter. From Honda to Vespa and currently I ride a daily-driver Vespa 150cc. It's nice, does the job I need it to and has all the "I wish I was still hip" feel to it I need as an old man, but getting back and forth to work has become a real chore on those little wheels. It'll go 65mph... but I don't do it very often. Speed wobbles like crazy.

I wanted something for the street but I don't want to spend a grip and I don't want anything over 500cc's. There are some bikes posted on this thread that look like enduro bikes but with street tires... what are those?

Any suggestions for a first time motorcycle buyer? It can't be too cool and fun because if it takes over my time... the wife will set it ablaze. Cycling is already a source of friction.

that's a hot looking SV. That sounds like a perfect first bike.

I prefer the newer models with the square body work, but that's jsut a preference thing.

joker -

most of the enduro bikes are way to tall for what you'd consider 'casual commuting'.

those bikes can get converted to a 'supermoto' bike with slick tires and a lowering kit,

but they're still a bit tall for everyday use, and some are a pain in the ass to keep running.

the DRZ-200 isa 200cc bike that can keep up to speed on most roads, and do light offroad duty.

dr200.jpg

The tireds aren't slicks, but they work fine for city streets.

check out your local craigslist or newspaper. you could find a used one for like $2000

Just make sure it's street legal.

• 4 weeks later...

So today I went and looked at a Suzuki SV650S and I think I want it. I looked at a few other bikes as well... can't remember the models but one of them was a Honda 600 (actually the sticker said 599) and another bike that I can't even remember but it was too heavy and kinda tall for me.

Anyway, I liked the feel of the SV650S over the feel of the regular SV650. I think because I also race road bicycles and the feel of being lower and not so upright was more appealing to me. And I think I liked the look of the fairings as well. Actually, I liked the regular 650 w/o the fairings too but the handlebars were kinda odd the way it's set up.

I loved that the front brake has dual disc brakes. In the relatively wet weather climate we have here that's a plus in my book.

In talking with two sales people and one mechanic they all had the same thing to say about the bike. It's a great daily driver and is an amazing starter bike. With the V-twin it won't go bananas on me when gassing it up from gear. It's powerful but not out of control powerful like a sportbike. I also talked to a guy who happened to ride up on one. I asked how he liked the bike and he was telling me he has two other sportbikes but he rides the 650 more often because it's a smoother ride and handles a lot better. It's his favorite bike.

So now... it's a matter of deciding if it's what I really want and then I jump into the hard part. Convincing the wife.

SV650SK6_Red_B71D21.jpg

can't remember the models but one of them was a Honda 600 (actually the sticker said 599)

that's my bike.

You have to trust your road instincts. The Honda 599 is perfect for me because the upright position is more like my Haro, but if you're a drop bar kind of guy, then clip on bars make more sence. Certainly there's a LOT of SVriders outthere who swear by the bike, and from the ones I've talked to, it's a great starter bike because you dont outgrow it. It's a very well built and tuned street bike. It was actually the first bike I wanted (sv100s) but after looking into it I found one that's better for me. Let's hope it's perfect for you.... and the wife.

2004-Honda599c.jpg

I like'em naked.

and joker, shoot an email if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

Just picked her up a couple weeks ago...This girl is agile light powerful braking phenominal to say the least its a little rough on the bumps but other than that...

I have ridden to work everyday since I bought it took her for a 4 hour ride today I didnt want to go home I wanted to keep riding...

They are perfect for the street and extremely easy to turn into a track bike!

Plus there are tons of resources, forums and such to help you with any query.

m_dsc_0097.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you guys are doing winter riding like I am get your self a pair of these!

winter_gloves_11.jpg

I been using Joe Rocket summer gloves they my regular riding gloves and I freeze my fingers off... I borrowed ^^^those from my dad on saturday, freaking beautiful. Toasty as fuck! I suggest them for winter riding single fingers are jsut too cold!

well

supposedly they build the sv's

it's pretty much the same bike

minus the extended stance

650 v twin

o rly well that makes sense then...I am looking sell my SV right now. Next summer I am gonna get an older Crotch Rocket and see if I like riding like that for a summer. The SV just doesnt have the balls I want...

Prolly gonna get a 94 Honda CBR 900 cbr_900-rr-94.jpg

i'm a squid

rockin nike batting gloves

and NB 574's

hahaha thats hoooorrible I feel naked without my gear...I am getting some of these pants that have pads in the knees shins hips and shit they go under your pants so you cant really tell...ultimate goal is to drop knee in corners I have been getting close but am scared to do it and tear a knee cap...

what do you ride?