weird bicycle accidents

Dick Quickwood

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I raced bikes for about 6 years...so I've wrecked plenty of times.

Some of the bigger ones include clipping a pedal on a rock on the downstroke heading down a big hill. It threw me sideways and the trail turned around the same time. I was probably doing about 35 mph when I full on hit a big ass oak tree. Luckily I had enough upper body strength that i just bounced back about five feet from that tree. It was a brand new bike...so I saved it by tossing it to the side a bit and taking the impact on my chest. Knocked every ounce of breath out of me. I laid on the ground for a while getting my shit together...then I jumped back on the bike and finished my ride (another 12 miles).

Another time I was carrying too much speed down a hill. There was a stack of logs piled up in a pyramid shape at the bottom. I thought I could just bunny hop the whole pile....but when I got closer I realized it was too high so I tried to slow down and jump it. That didn't quite work out and the bike threw head over heals. When I hit the ground I head my helmet explode into what sounded like a million pieces. After I did the wiggle my toes and fingers test...I sat up...and pulled my helmet off. I was expecting to see complete carnage...but it was in perfect shape. I realized when I tried to stand up that it was my shoulder that made that exploding noise. Grade 2 shoulder seperation. I couldn't lift my bike to put it on my roof rack and I couldn't shift into reverse without using my other arm.

I've been hit by a car...but I just rolled onto the hood so it really wasn't all that bad. Tons of close calls and tons of other wrecks that just ended up in blood loss and scars.

My friend and I rode out about 12 miles to our friend's house one time when we were in high school (I live in Texas, everything's spread out).

I was riding behind him and my front tire hit his back tire and we both wiped out pretty hardcore. My bike flipped over and I sprained my wrist pretty badly. I was afraid I broke it because it swelled up pretty bad. But it was all better a couple weeks later. So either I didn't break it or I have some sort of Wolverine-like mutant healing powers. He just got a cut on his leg.

Bastard.

-fuse.

I once got hit by a Jeep Rubicon... while I was riding on the sidewalk, hahahaha. The lady came out super fast, nicked my back tire, and I went flying... when she asked me if I was okay, I told her I was feeling great(haha). Then, a bum ran over and started making me jump around to see if I had broken bones, which I obviously did not.

I told the lady that she bent my rim. Quickest 40 bucks I've ever gotten in a long time. But, I could've sued her with the quickness... but, I was stupid and delirious, so I just rode off :haha:

one of my friends lost his eyesignt in one eye. man vs. car.

Jackson's story reminded me of another one...I was riding dirt, screwing around and doing jumps and when I went to sit back down on the seat...the bolt broke...which made the seat come loose and go flying off. I ended up landing on the rear wheel with my balls...luckily they weren't sucked into the frame. no harm, no foul.

I was riding down some grimey street and this fucking big ass german shepherd starts coming at me full speed. So I start pedalling as fast as I can and try to cross over the little grass thing between the sidewalk and the street. There was a hole in the ground that I didn't see and i went face forward onto the ground. So I look back expecting to see this fucking dog eating my leg but luckily it wasn't so I hurried up and got the fuck out of there.

Originally posted by deformatron@Mar 6 2006, 01:15 AM

yo fuck a trackbike: youll get alot more use out of a decent road bike, or what im looking for which is a cyclocross or touring bike: something you can put fenders and big tires one with more powerfull brakes.

ive been hit a number of times, none of them having been that bad, knock on wood.

none of them were especially weird, although one time i did trash a 180 dollar front wheel and the fork it was attached to at probably 1.5 miles per hour.

oh, and ive definitley seen and been in a few weird accidents while playing bike polo. mallet in the front spokes, over the handlebars, etc. an older racer guy did the scorpion fall where you come off your bike onto your stomach with your feet over the back of your head. dude got right up again like nothing had happened.

WHOS GOT MY 60 CM CROSS BIKE!??!?!??!?!?!?!

honestly, i've owned 4 road bikes, 2 mnt bikes, and my 3rd track bike just got stolen.

and i have always enjoyed riding fixed more than anything.

maybe it just takes a certain personality.

i cant even ride a bike with a freewheel anymore, coasting makes me feel all off balance.

and im lazy so keeping up with adjustments after being on a bike for 60 hours a week isnt a strong point of mine.

Originally posted by Smart@Mar 6 2006, 03:05 AM

I thought this was weird, I guess it kinda fits the topic...

Authorities discover 'this bike is a pipe bomb' is name of punk band

ATHENS, Ohio (AP) — Authorities shut down four buildings at Ohio University after a police officer noticed a sticker that said "this bike is a pipe bomb" before finding out the message was the name of a punk rock band, a university spokesman said.

Police noticed the sticker on a bicycle early Thursday, then blocked streets around a university-owned restaurant where it was found, spokesman Jack Jeffery said. A bomb squad came from Columbus, about 65 miles away.

The bomb squad pried apart the bike with a hydraulic device normally used to rescue accident victims trapped in cars, acting Athens Fire Chief Ken Gilbraith said. Once they had it open, they saw there was no bomb. The buildings were reopened after about two hours.

Dean of Students Terry Hogan asked that fans of the Pensacola, Fla., band be more careful when showing support in the future.

Patrick K. Hanlin, 28, was charged by university police Thursday after he came forward as the bike's owner, Jeffery said. The charge carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail.

There was no answer at a phone number for Hanlin in Athens.

An e-mail message seeking comment was sent to Plan-It-X Records, the band's record label. No phone number was available.

Dude's facing jail time because they blew up his bike... huh?

here is the offical story as i know it, with some contact and directions to help the dude out:

this post is a pipe bomb ...

Body: Body: ATHENS, Ohio -- Authorities in Athens said that they were investigating a mountain bike that put the Ohio University campus on high alert Thursday morning.

Athens Acting Fire Chief Ken Gilbraith said that the bike had a sticker on it that said, "This bike is a pipe bomb." He said the university police discovered it overnight, parked outside a campus restaurant.

(For those who don't know...there is a band called "This bike is a pipe bomb")

OU closed four buildings, police blocked streets around the Oasis restaurant, the fire department brought in off-duty firefighters, and the Columbus fire department's bomb squad was called in.

Gilbraith said the bomb experts attacked the bike with a high-pressure spray of water, then pried it open with a hydraulic tool and found no bomb inside.

The university remained in session throughout the incident. The four buildings were reopened by 9 a.m.

A fan of this bike is a pipe bomb who sported the

band's sticker on his bike in athens, ohio is in way

big trouble...

Apparently, after leaving his bike parked on the

street, he returned to find a bomb squad and

handcuffs. He was told that because of the sticker on

his bike he was a threat and accused of being a

bombing terrorist...

SO THIS IS WHERE HE NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WITH THE SAME STICKER ON THEIR

BIKE, TAKE A PICTURE OF IT AND SEND IT TO

thruhiker@riseup.net

THIS GUY NEEDS HELP PROVING THAT THIS STICKER IS

MERELY A BAND STICKER AND NOT A BOMB THREAT

PLEASE REPOST THIS BECAUSE IF HE LOSES THE INITIAL

TRIAL IT WILL COST HIM OVER 10,000 DOLLARS AND

POTENTIALLY HIS FREEDOM

AGAIN thruhiker@riseup.net - or you can send it to evaolymagruder@hotmail.com

kinda like mams story only it involves PMB...

pmb and some of our other friends were in the age range of 13-15 years old and all spending the night at poops house... poops had all these badass "movies" which all had amazing plots and story lines that basically were freestyle short films filled with rubbish... "last of the fat-heekens" was one i remember like last of the moheichens (spell check) only fat and young and gangley... anyway i dont remember the particular plot of this one movie they were shooting seeing as we only watched this one part over and over... but poops was in a bed room speaking lines with some kinda costume on that required him to not wear a shirt.. all the while riding an exercise bike... so here he is riding away on this exercise bike looking stupid and awesome.. and the whole thing falls apart totally unexpected... handle bars collapse and things just drop off the bike like flies including pmb... i think it was one of those bikes that kinda moves while you ride it.. like the handle bars pull towards you and the seat lifts up... it was from the 80s and prolly was supposed to maximize your workout... anyway it was quite funny even if it doesnt sound like it here... totally something on americas funniest home videos..

that shit about the pipe bomb sticker is just another example of post 9-11 wacko autoritarian paranoia.

how first of all do you make a pipe bomb out of a bicycle comprised mostly of sealed steel tubing, and then if you were able to accomplish this, why would you then label said bomb so that anybody could tell thats what it was? then, when you figured out it was some bands name ( i always thought it was some anit-car crust punk slogan), why would you continue to try and give him any grief?

and whos got a 60cm cross or touring bike or frame for me?

a little while ago i was riding down a hill and saw something, i cant really remember what, but i was looking at it and somehow turned a little and hit the back of a parked car going like 15 miles per hour. there was a fat dent in the car so i just diped and rode over to the hospital where i got a bunch of stitches in my knee. that shit sucked. trying to explain what happened to the docter was embarassing as hell.

Originally posted by ARCEL@Mar 6 2006, 12:39 AM

i was riding my bike earlier and the shifter handle suddenly broke off, putting a mean scratch on the inside of my wrist. most of the impact hit my watch and coat, and luckily for me there was nothing sharp. a couple years ago i had a pedal break off, naturally i jammed my shin into a jagged metal thing with all my weight on it. plus i get flat tires every other time i ride, i\'ve tried several different things to stop that from happening

check you spokes, i bet there going threw your rim and poking you tube.