stealing wireless access from neighbors

Pfffffffffft

im really poor and thinking of getting rid of cable modem which is like $29.00 a month...

i got a wireless card but no router..

as i sit and make this thread...im using wireless access and someone elses router (i guess)

i dont know much about this shit so...

who else does this?

can anyone find out?

whats the risk?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

so. You have a wireless card and you are close enough to someone with wireless internet that you can just hook in through them. Thats sweet. Im not so sure there is any risk. They probably pay a flat rate. Even if they were to notice someone else hooked into their connection A) can they prove its you? B) Is it costing them any more? C) Would anybody official bust down your door with guns drawn to find your wireless card?

if the owner is dumb enough to leave their wifi connection unsecured then they deserve to have their bandwidth stolen.

more likely, like most home users, they have no idea how to apply basic, let alone decent, security to the wireless network. Yeah you can buy good and easy to use software, but few home users know that or have enough knowledge to do more than stick the CD in and let it run itself thus they even have problems getting thesoftware properly installed and set up.

but be careful because if you log on to there machine it could be a honeypot if you dont know what that is. Prolly do not.

go to

12oz computer tech thread

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php...ic=69679&st=160

theyre used to be this guy that worked at my job, and he had a laptob and a cellphone his wife didnt know about , and after work he would drive around and look for a connection and when he would find one he would go on the web and pick up girls on all those diff dating sites, he had a pretty good system

l“A honey pot is a computer system on the Internet that is expressly set up to attract and "trap" people who attempt to penetrate other people's computer systems� –whatis.com

More Honeypot Definitions…

l“A honeypot is an information system resource whose value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that resource.� -Lance Spitzner

lHoneypots are a highly flexible security tool with different applications for security

lHave multiple uses, such as prevention, detection, or information gathering.

Honeypots…

lHoneypots all share the same concept: a security resource that should not have any production or authorized activity.

lTheoretically, a honeypot should see no traffic because it has no legitimate activity.

lThis means any interaction with a honeypot is most likely unauthorized or malicious activity.

Honeypot Purposes

lDistract hackers from more valuable systems on the network

lCan provide early warning about new attack and exploitation trends

lThey allow in-depth examination of adversaries during and after exploitation

lServes as an Intrusion Detection System

Types of Honeypots

lThere are many different types of Honeypots and can generally be broken down into two types:

nLow-interaction honeypot

nHigh-interaction honeypot

Low-interaction honeypots

lThey have limited interaction.

lThey normally work by emulating services and operating systems (e.g. FTP, telnet, SMTP, UNIX, Linux)

lAttacker activity is limited to the level of emulation by the honeypot

lExamples of low-interaction honeypots: Spectr, Honeyd and KFSensor

High-interaction honeypots

lUsually complex solutions that use real operating systems and applications

lNo emulation is used, the attacker sees a real system

lExample: a real FTP server on a Linux system with full interaction.

lAvailable tools: Symantec Decoy Server and Honeynets.

Advantages of Low-interaction honeypots

lSimplicity

lEasier to maintain and deploy

lMinimal risk, as the emulated services control what attackers can and cannot do.

Disadvantages of Low-interaction honeypots

lCan only log limited information

lDesigned to capture known activity

lEmulated services can only do so much

lBecoming easier for skilled attackers to identify

Advantages of High-interaction honeypots

lCan capture far more information, including new tools, communications, or attacker keystrokes.

lLearn about the attackers behavior and unexpected behaviors

lCan do everything a low-interaction honeypot can do and more

Disadvantages of high-interaction honeypots

lComplex and difficult to maintain

lCan use this system to attack other non honeypot systems

lRequires more resources

Legal Issues of Honeypots

lLiability: You can potentially be held liable if your honeypot is used to attack or harm other systems or organizations. This risk is the greatest with high-interaction honeypots.

^^ very interesting.

Find some way to track the settings on the router.

So that if they do add a key or a password, you'll have it.

There's got to be a way to do it, but I'm too lazy to think of it right now.

Or you could just put your own password on the router so that they can't change any settings.

If they are dumb, they'll just think that someone else in the house made a password and no one will be able to figure it out.

The problem is that they could just reset the router and add their own password.

So I guess doing nothing is the best thing.

Find out which neighbor it is. If they password protect it, offer to pay $10/month for access to their router. It pays 1/3 of their bill.

-fuse.

Originally posted by fatalist@Mar 5 2006, 12:37 PM

$29 a month. doood thats nothing try $52 a month.

fatalist/being raped.

average price

$25 $30

• Up to 1.5 Mbps down

• Faster than dial-up • Up to 128 Kbps up

average price

$50- $55

• Up to 5.0 Mbps down

• Up to 512 Kbps up

so yeah if you are only getting the 30 dollar deal and complaining about it go back to dialup you can get faster if you hookup 2 modems using cat5 cabling

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Originally posted by Pfffffffffft@Mar 5 2006, 09:08 AM

im really poor and thinking of getting rid of cable modem which is like $29.00 a month...

i got a wireless card but no router..

as i sit and make this thread...im using wireless access and someone elses router (i guess)

i dont know much about this shit so...

who else does this?

can anyone find out?

whats the risk?

Really not much of a risk, unless you neighbor is a computer nerd. But then all they can do is yell at you. Its there fault, but people do it all the time. Its called Wardriving and there are some cool things that can help you be more successful at it. Google it man!

no it is illegal to steal wireless they can and will take your ass to court and win

also you do not have to have a computer nerd neighbor the routers already have the security set inside when you plug it in it gets locked down (the newer routers)

Interesting... I have my own router, but sometimes my computer automatically logs on to one of three other networks that it picks up. The past week or so, when I try to switch it to my own network, it tells me that my password is invalid.

So this probably means that someone else got into my network and changed it, right? How can I change it back without having the password myself? And does this mean that they can hack into my email/ other internet accounts?

Originally posted by harvey wallbanger@Mar 5 2006, 01:52 PM

Interesting... I have my own router, but sometimes my computer automatically logs on to one of three other networks that it picks up. The past week or so, when I try to switch it to my own network, it tells me that my password is invalid.

So this probably means that someone else got into my network and changed it, right? How can I change it back without having the password myself? And does this mean that they can hack into my email/ other internet accounts?

Question 1 - Possibly, but probably not.

Question 2 - Reset your router.

Question 3 - No.

damn, i love wireless networking.

when i go to chicago and stay with my aunt in her little subdivision

her neighbors have a few networks.

its nice to choose your free network.

i dont kno what i will do this year when i go to visit her, because i spilled beer on my laptop and fried it.

fuck.