Jeep Beats and Jihad!

Smart

Six people injured by SUV at UNC

Updated: 3/3/2006 8:15 PM

By: News 14 Carolina Staff; UNC News Release

(CHAPEL HILL) -- Six people were injured Friday when a silver Jeep SUV drove through a part of the UNC campus where cars are not allowed.

Eyewitnesses say the Jeep ran into a group of people and then drove away after hitting the students.

ABC News is reporting the motive for the attack was "retribution for the treatment of muslims around the world."

"I turned and saw it was a silver Jeep running through the center of UNC campus," said freshman Jordan Popalis. "People were being hit, I saw a girl on the hood and the windshield and she fell off and slid. Some people went to help her, some people were dodging the Jeep, [it] ran straight through and sped off."

Officials say the incident occurred in front of Lenoir Hall at the student gathering area known as The Pit.

Eyewitnesses say the Jeep ran into a group of people and then drove away after hitting the students.

UNC Hospital said none of the people transported were seriously injured. Three other people declined treatment on the scene, according to police.

Campus police said they had a suspect in custody. He was identified as Mohammed Reza Taheriazar, 23, A 2005 UNC graduate. Authorities say he lived in Indian Trail near Charlotte before moving to Chapel Hill.

Police say they plan to charge the suspect with nine counts of attempted first-degree murder and nine counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury with intent to kill.

Swat team officers evacuated several buildings in the University Commons apartment complex in Carrboro Friday evening.

Authorities say that's where the suspect lived.

They set off a flash grenade at his apartment and several officers went inside.

Investigators have not released details about what they found.

The initial call to police came in at 11:53 a.m.

Student affairs staff and counselors have been providing support to students who watched the scene unfold. Faculty, staff and students may seek counseling assistance from the university's Counseling and Psychological Services.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Damn.

The other day in Toronto, some Sri Lankan dude pulled a U and slammed into a police horse. The horse (Brigadier) had to be shot in the head, and the cop riding him got pretty injured. What's messed is that the driver didn't get any sort of assaulting a police officer charge. I figured at least one count of attempted murder.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 4 2006, 08:50 AM

Damn.

The other day in Toronto, some Sri Lankan dude pulled a U and slammed into a police horse. The horse (Brigadier) had to be shot in the head, and the cop riding him got pretty injured. What's messed is that the driver didn't get any sort of assaulting a police officer charge. I figured at least one count of attempted murder.

Just curious....anyone ever tried horse meat?....i know they eat it in france...i heard its good.... discuss

story.unc.student.ap.jpg

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, 22, is a native of Iran. He graduated from UNC in December

What an Idiot. It makes me sick when I hear about stuff like this.

(assuming he really said "this is revenge for the treatment of muslims")

I don't beleive everything I hear on the news, If I did, I'd be a jackass. But if he did say that, he's an idiot, and if he didn't say it , he's still an idiot.

Originally posted by Entro123@Mar 4 2006, 04:53 PM

Another youthful life thrown away by the brainwashing of what is supposed to be his spiritual leaders. It's sad indeed to think of how many deaths these people and their ideologies have on their conscience

Entro, that's a speculation, you can't just blame it on his "spiritual leaders" There's loads of muslims who are secular and have nothing to do with Islam, religion, knowledge , anything, they don't even pray.

We don't know his motive, except that ABC news said "the motive for the attack was "retribution for the treatment of muslims around the world." How do they know that? We know there are terrorists and extremists in the world who teach hate and extremism, but to link this particualar story to that is jumping the gun I think. He could be just some guy who can't do anything right and everything is messed up for him he just snapped. Maybe he was hopped up on 20 queludes, who knows? Not to mention, I don't know of any "spiritual leaders" who go around telling people to run cars into people. (Except al Qaida types who hijack planes and blow up buildings), but I would hardly call them "leaders" It is possible that he did this on his own, with no help, just him and the little devil on his shoulder , right?

In any case, he's still an idiot.

Man Accused in UNC Attack Appears in Court

By STEVE HARTSOE

Associated Press Writer

CHAPEL HILL, N.C.

A University of North Carolina graduate from Iran, accused of running down nine people on campus to avenge the treatment of Muslims, said at a hearing Monday that he was "thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah."

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar was accused of driving a sport utility vehicle through The Pit, a popular campus gathering spot, injuring nine people Friday. None of the victims was seriously hurt.

Police Chief Derek Poarch said Taheri-azar told investigators he intentionally hit people to "avenge the deaths of Muslims around the world."

Taheri-azar, 22, appeared in Orange County District Court in nearby Hillsborough on nine counts of attempted murder and nine counts of assault.

His bail was set at $5.5 million, and he was assigned a public defender, but he said after the hearing: "The truth is my lawyer."

Taheri-azar graduated from North Carolina in December after studying psychology and philosophy. Investigators believe he has spent most of his life in the United States.

On campus, UNC students held what they called an "anti-terrorism" rally.

"We don't want terrorism here, and we're not gonna stand for that where we live and where we go to school," said Kris Wampler, a student at UNC and member of the College Republicans, which helped organize the rally.

About 50 students attended the rally, including several Muslim students who debated with organizers and said Taheri-azar had not been linked to any terrorist group.

"When you think in terms of a global context, this was an isolated incident," said Khurram Bilal Tariq, a 22-year-old junior.

Stephen Mann, an 18-year-old freshman, said he wasn't singling out Islam with his call to label Friday's incident terrorism. He said a member of any religion who did what Taheri-azar is accused of doing should be called a terrorist.

"If you try to hurt someone in the name of a cause, that's terrorism," he said.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 4 2006, 11:50 AM

Damn.

Did he do it intentionally?

SUV drivers are huge morons

thanks also bud, for spreading the will of allah

..good to know allah loves his UNC students, seeing that none of them ate it

the truth is his lawyer

so, he'll get his ass handed to him

since the truth seems to be that this guy doesn't deserve a pulse

i heard the 911 tape of the call he made on the news today he babbled about how this is his way of punshing the goverment for the actions they did in other countrys i dont rember what he said word for word but this guy should die. why let him live he did not care the people he hurt . they all could of died. people like him are the reasons why some people don like mislims and arabs. so he severd allah. right.....

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Herbivore+Mar 7 2006, 11:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Mar 7 2006, 11:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Mar 4 2006, 11:50 AM

Damn.

Did he do it intentionally?

[/b]

thats wild.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Juan Fuentes@Mar 10 2006, 07:38 PM

and how do i know this is true? is the news perfect? knows everything? and i havent hear or seen it in person,how should i believe this? you people are catle really...

I think you mean KATUL...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

College student indicted after allegedly driving car into group of people at golf club

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) — A college student accused of driving his sports car into a group of people after a bar fight at an upscale golf club was indicted on assault charges.

But an attorney for 24-year-old Sayed Khaled El-Waraky said his client was the victim of a racial attack on June 18 that caused him to flee the bar in a panic.

El-Waraky, an Egyptian national who attends American University in Washington, D.C., was indicted on four counts of first-degree assault, two counts each of second- and third-degree assault, reckless endangerment and driving while intoxicated, District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in a statement.

According to prosecutors, El-Waraky started a fight at the Glen Cove Golf Club before threatening to kill a bouncer who threw him out, prosecutors said.

El-Waraky, who was at the bar drinking with some fraternity brothers, got into his 2005 Jaguar and began to leave.

Prosecutors say that's when he turned back and sped toward a crowd gathered outside, striking four people who suffered injuries including skull fractures.

"This was a truly horrific assault," Rice said. "I look forward to holding this individual accountable for his actions."

El-Waraky's attorney, John Lewis, said his client was the victim of an attack by several men inside the club and was ridiculed with racial epithets.

"He was panicky and fearful; he was just trying to flee," Lewis said.

YO! This is starting to look like a pattern!

Damn college kids!

• 1 month later...

YO! This is starting to look like a pattern!

OK, this time dude isn't a college student... but still... what's with the 'cars as a weapon (other than a bomb)' trend? Is this a cultural thing? Coincedence? ???

Family: Driver Felt He Was Chased By Devil

1 Dead, 13 Hurt In Hit-And-Run Spree

Aug. 30 - San Francisco has never experienced anything like yesterday's rampage on the streets. This morning police will continue to investigate the driver of an SUV who drove up on sidewalks and streets, deliberately hitting people.

It was chaos on the streets of San Francisco as a driver began mowing down anyone in his path. At least 14 people were hospitalized. Witnesses say the driver of the Honda SUV was deliberately running down people in the street and on the sidewalk.

Albert Chow, Witness: "He hit a Chinese lady and two Mexican fellows. The two Mexican fellows rolled one way. She rolled the other way."

Yolanda Shivers, Hit And Run Victim: "He came across and hit everything and knocked the bags out my hands, and jerked my shoulder."

Police arrested the man they say was behind the wheel, 29-year old Omeed Aziz Popal who, according to his lawyer, has a history of mental illness.

It took nearly twenty minutes for officers to box him in at the corner of California and Spruce streets.

Sgt. Neville Gittens, San Francisco Police Dept.: "Fortunately the officers had a pretty good description. The communication was that they could figure out what direction he was heading and they were able to take him into custody right here."

The only person killed was in the East Bay, where it all began. Police say Popal ran over a 54-year old man in Fremont.

Forty-five minutes later, people started getting hit in San Francisco. From one intersection to the next, there was plenty of evidence of the rampage: a mangled bicycle, eyeglasses in the middle of the street.

Alex Lopez, Witness: "He just looked he was really wired up. I mean I don't know exactly what. At first I thought he was going around me but as you look around the whole neighborhood you could just see people going down."

Witnesses can't believe more people weren't seriously hurt. Many say what happened will haunt them for a long time.

Jennifer Sawle, Witness: "I didn't know if it was cold or if it was me. But I think it's because I've seen and I'm hearing all these stories. It's pretty frightening, it's the most horrific thing I've ever seen."

Mayor Newsom rushed to S.F. General shortly after the accidents, where he spoke to several victims.

Mayor Gavin Newsom, San Francisco: "What can you say. The best you can do is express your sympathies express your sense of perplexity how is this possible what happened. Most are still in shock."

One of the victim's was an FBI agent on his lunch break. The victims range in age from 18-to-77-years-old.

Four people remain hospitalized this morning. One is in critical condition, the other three are listed as serious.

The suspect is in the county jail.

Police were at Omeed Popal's home until late last night, collecting evidence.

They took out computers and other material investigators hope will give them some kind of clue to his frame of mind.

When police served a search warrant on the home they knocked, but no one was home, so they forced their way in.

Family members say Popal was disturbed, and that he felt as if the devil was chasing him, and that he did not like his arranged marriage.

Hamid Nekrawesh, Suspect's Cousin: "That's a cultural process though. Was that incredibly upsetting for him? I don't know if it was incredible upsetting. It was disappointing."

His cousin says he only got married to fulfill his family's wishes.