HUSTLERS DIET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

there's a book coming out about a drug dealer turned chef

he pitched it with the title 'from cocaine to foie gras'

i read about it in newsweek

.........."Known as Chef Jeff, Henderson—born in southern California's Watts and raised by a single mother—says he earned as much as $35,000 a week dealing cocaine in San Diego. He wound up in prison in 1988: "People say I got arrested. No, I got rescued," he says. At the time, he likes to say, the only thing he had ever cooked was crack. But while incarcerated in six different prisons for eight years and nine months, he worked in prison kitchens. First, he cleaned pots and pans. Then he prepared meals, bartering food for services like haircuts. His signature dish in prison: fried chicken, served every Sunday. Today it's a pan-roasted Chilean bass with fingerling potatoes—a $26 entree at the Cafe Bellagio, where he is executive chef."

that was a good article. there's a ton of people who owe their lives to food and the kitchen. i can see how the focus, responsibility, and discipline that is demanded of each individual in high end kitchens can convert people who are looking for or need that sort of thing.

and yeah, i'll have to check this show