Zogby Poll

lord_casek

U.S. Troops in Iraq: 72% Say End War in 2006

* Le Moyne College/Zogby Poll shows just one in five troops want to heed Bush call to stay “as long as they are needed�

* While 58% say mission is clear, 42% say U.S. role is hazy

* Plurality believes Iraqi insurgents are mostly homegrown

* Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam’s role in 9/11, most don’t blame Iraqi public for insurgent attacks

* Majority of troops oppose use of harsh prisoner interrogation

* Plurality of troops pleased with their armor and equipment

An overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year, and nearly one in four say the troops should leave immediately, a new Le Moyne College/Zogby International survey shows.

The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, showed that 29% of the respondents, serving in various branches of the armed forces, said the U.S. should leave Iraq “immediately,� while another 22% said they should leave in the next six months. Another 21% said troops should be out between six and 12 months, while 23% said they should stay “as long as they are needed.�

Different branches had quite different sentiments on the question, the poll shows. While 89% of reserves and 82% of those in the National Guard said the U.S. should leave Iraq within a year, 58% of Marines think so. Seven in ten of those in the regular Army thought the U.S. should leave Iraq in the next year. Moreover, about three-quarters of those in National Guard and Reserve units favor withdrawal within six months, just 15% of Marines felt that way. About half of those in the regular Army favored withdrawal from Iraq in the next six months.

The troops have drawn different conclusions about fellow citizens back home. Asked why they think some Americans favor rapid U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq, 37% of troops serving there said those Americans are unpatriotic, while 20% believe people back home don’t believe a continued occupation will work. Another 16% said they believe those favoring a quick withdrawal do so because they oppose the use of the military in a pre-emptive war, while 15% said they do not believe those Americans understand the need for the U.S. troops in Iraq.

The wide-ranging poll also shows that 58% of those serving in country say the U.S. mission in Iraq is clear in their minds, while 42% said it is either somewhat or very unclear to them, that they have no understanding of it at all, or are unsure. While 85% said the U.S. mission is mainly “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the 9-11 attacks,� 77% said they also believe the main or a major reason for the war was “to stop Saddam from protecting al Qaeda in Iraq.�

“Ninety-three percent said that removing weapons of mass destruction is not a reason for U.S. troops being there,� said Pollster John Zogby, President and CEO of Zogby International. “Instead, that initial rationale went by the wayside and, in the minds of 68% of the troops, the real mission became to remove Saddam Hussein.� Just 24% said that “establishing a democracy that can be a model for the Arab World" was the main or a major reason for the war. Only small percentages see the mission there as securing oil supplies (11%) or to provide long-term bases for US troops in the region (6%).

The continuing insurgent attacks have not turned U.S. troops against the Iraqi population, the survey shows. More than 80% said they did not hold a negative view of Iraqis because of those attacks. About two in five see the insurgency as being comprised of discontented Sunnis with very few non-Iraqi helpers. “There appears to be confusion on this,� Zogby said. But, he noted, less than a third think that if non-Iraqi terrorists could be prevented from crossing the border into Iraq, the insurgency would end. A majority of troops (53%) said the U.S. should double both the number of troops and bombing missions in order to control the insurgency.

The survey shows that most U.S. military personnel in-country have a clear sense of right and wrong when it comes to using banned weapons against the enemy, and in interrogation of prisoners. Four in five said they oppose the use of such internationally banned weapons as napalm and white phosphorous. And, even as more photos of prisoner abuse in Iraq surface around the world, 55% said it is not appropriate or standard military conduct to use harsh and threatening methods against insurgent prisoners in order to gain information of military value.

Three quarters of the troops had served multiple tours and had a longer exposure to the conflict: 26% were on their first tour of duty, 45% were on their second tour, and 29% were in Iraq for a third time or more.

A majority of the troops serving in Iraq said they were satisfied with the war provisions from Washington. Just 30% of troops said they think the Department of Defense has failed to provide adequate troop protections, such as body armor, munitions, and armor plating for vehicles like HumVees. Only 35% said basic civil infrastructure in Iraq, including roads, electricity, water service, and health care, has not improved over the past year. Three of every four were male respondents, with 63% under the age of 30.

The survey included 944 military respondents interviewed at several undisclosed locations throughout Iraq. The names of the specific locations and specific personnel who conducted the survey are being withheld for security purposes. Surveys were conducted face-to-face using random sampling techniques. The margin of error for the survey, conducted Jan. 18 through Feb. 14, 2006, is +/- 3.3 percentage points.

(2/28/2006)

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

wow, just wow.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 28 2006, 08:46 PM

U.S. Troops in Iraq: 72% Say End War in 2006

* Le Moyne College/Zogby Poll shows just one in five troops want to heed Bush call to stay “as long as they are needed�

* While 58% say mission is clear, 42% say U.S. role is hazy

* Plurality believes Iraqi insurgents are mostly homegrown

* Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam’s role in 9/11, most don’t blame Iraqi public for insurgent attacks

* Majority of troops oppose use of harsh prisoner interrogation

* Plurality of troops pleased with their armor and equipment

An overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year, and nearly one in four say the troops should leave immediately, a new Le Moyne College/Zogby International survey shows.

The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, showed that 29% of the respondents, serving in various branches of the armed forces, said the U.S. should leave Iraq “immediately,� while another 22% said they should leave in the next six months. Another 21% said troops should be out between six and 12 months, while 23% said they should stay “as long as they are needed.�

Different branches had quite different sentiments on the question, the poll shows. While 89% of reserves and 82% of those in the National Guard said the U.S. should leave Iraq within a year, 58% of Marines think so. Seven in ten of those in the regular Army thought the U.S. should leave Iraq in the next year. Moreover, about three-quarters of those in National Guard and Reserve units favor withdrawal within six months, just 15% of Marines felt that way. About half of those in the regular Army favored withdrawal from Iraq in the next six months.

The troops have drawn different conclusions about fellow citizens back home. Asked why they think some Americans favor rapid U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq, 37% of troops serving there said those Americans are unpatriotic, while 20% believe people back home don’t believe a continued occupation will work. Another 16% said they believe those favoring a quick withdrawal do so because they oppose the use of the military in a pre-emptive war, while 15% said they do not believe those Americans understand the need for the U.S. troops in Iraq.

The wide-ranging poll also shows that 58% of those serving in country say the U.S. mission in Iraq is clear in their minds, while 42% said it is either somewhat or very unclear to them, that they have no understanding of it at all, or are unsure. While 85% said the U.S. mission is mainly “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the 9-11 attacks,� 77% said they also believe the main or a major reason for the war was “to stop Saddam from protecting al Qaeda in Iraq.�

“Ninety-three percent said that removing weapons of mass destruction is not a reason for U.S. troops being there,� said Pollster John Zogby, President and CEO of Zogby International. “Instead, that initial rationale went by the wayside and, in the minds of 68% of the troops, the real mission became to remove Saddam Hussein.� Just 24% said that “establishing a democracy that can be a model for the Arab World" was the main or a major reason for the war. Only small percentages see the mission there as securing oil supplies (11%) or to provide long-term bases for US troops in the region (6%).

The continuing insurgent attacks have not turned U.S. troops against the Iraqi population, the survey shows. More than 80% said they did not hold a negative view of Iraqis because of those attacks. About two in five see the insurgency as being comprised of discontented Sunnis with very few non-Iraqi helpers. “There appears to be confusion on this,� Zogby said. But, he noted, less than a third think that if non-Iraqi terrorists could be prevented from crossing the border into Iraq, the insurgency would end. A majority of troops (53%) said the U.S. should double both the number of troops and bombing missions in order to control the insurgency.

The survey shows that most U.S. military personnel in-country have a clear sense of right and wrong when it comes to using banned weapons against the enemy, and in interrogation of prisoners. Four in five said they oppose the use of such internationally banned weapons as napalm and white phosphorous. And, even as more photos of prisoner abuse in Iraq surface around the world, 55% said it is not appropriate or standard military conduct to use harsh and threatening methods against insurgent prisoners in order to gain information of military value.

Three quarters of the troops had served multiple tours and had a longer exposure to the conflict: 26% were on their first tour of duty, 45% were on their second tour, and 29% were in Iraq for a third time or more.

A majority of the troops serving in Iraq said they were satisfied with the war provisions from Washington. Just 30% of troops said they think the Department of Defense has failed to provide adequate troop protections, such as body armor, munitions, and armor plating for vehicles like HumVees. Only 35% said basic civil infrastructure in Iraq, including roads, electricity, water service, and health care, has not improved over the past year. Three of every four were male respondents, with 63% under the age of 30.

The survey included 944 military respondents interviewed at several undisclosed locations throughout Iraq. The names of the specific locations and specific personnel who conducted the survey are being withheld for security purposes. Surveys were conducted face-to-face using random sampling techniques. The margin of error for the survey, conducted Jan. 18 through Feb. 14, 2006, is +/- 3.3 percentage points.

(2/28/2006)

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

wow, just wow.....

LoL, this study is the most ridiculously bullshit filled I have ever seen in my life.

Do NOT take this survey as any type of accurate representation of how the troops feel. 3 out of every 4 troops you ask the dumbass question will simply tell you to fuck off.

"944 survey sample" The one's who were willing to do this survey were probably people that already had a bias...

Originally posted by Ishbel Bullen@Mar 1 2006, 06:39 PM

right...are you actually in the army, or one of those guys that just pretends he is, all the while doing his research on the internet and acting like he knows?

fuck off man your played out

Its hilarious how many people claim to be military of some sort, considering the nature of this website. Its not just bob the force recon anglico socom ninja, there is also villain, who was the time to post 4-5 times throughout the day, everyday, while at the same time supposedly being in the 75th. And also never deploying, for some strange reason.

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001+Mar 2 2006, 05:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stereotype V.001 - Mar 2 2006, 05:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ishbel Bullen@Mar 1 2006, 06:39 PM

right...are you actually in the army, or one of those guys that just pretends he is, all the while doing his research on the internet and acting like he knows?

fuck off man your played out

Its hilarious how many people claim to be military of some sort, considering the nature of this website. Its not just bob the force recon anglico socom ninja, there is also villain, who was the time to post 4-5 times throughout the day, everyday, while at the same time supposedly being in the 75th. And also never deploying, for some strange reason.

[/b]

Claim to do what? How many people do you have on here that are in the military?

And once again, what the fuck do you knwo about the 75th or anything else? (besides finding it on google).

I know of individuals like yourself who have fantastic imaginations. You guys are everywhere. By all means, prove me wrong, it's easy to do....or maybe you "have nothing to prove" like you said earlier. Which I find funny because you obviously feel the need to garner attention and have something to prove, seeing as in every post you brag about how you are in the military, and pretend you are in every “high speed� unit the MC has to offer via photos stolen from another website, and then explaining how it isn't possible to be in those units at the same time with some half assed contradictory story. (“It’s a photo of me in ang�e�lico, but I am also a force recon marine at the same time somehow, but I did anglico training to get in the socom component, but actually they didn’t let guys try out you had to be selected, and the photos are of me yet I also claim to be the one who took the photos, that just happen to be on the same exact page of a popular website that gets its photos from the AP. And this one time, in band camp, these kids pointed out our position to a mortar team so I shot them and decided to tell complete strangers about it on the internet, because when you kill children that is the normal response.�)

And I know nothing about the military other than what I see in Steven Segal movies. I found that on google.

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001@Mar 2 2006, 10:09 PM

I know of individuals like yourself who have fantastic imaginations. You guys are everywhere. By all means, prove me wrong, it's easy to do....or maybe you "have nothing to prove" like you said earlier. Which I find funny because you obviously feel the need to garner attention and have something to prove, seeing as in every post you brag about how you are in the military, and pretend you are in every “high speed� unit the MC has to offer via photos stolen from another website, and then explaining how it isn't possible to be in those units at the same time with some half assed contradictory story. (“It’s a photo of me in ang�e�lico, but I am also a force recon marine at the same time somehow, but I did anglico training to get in the socom component, but actually they didn’t let guys try out you had to be selected, and the photos are of me yet I also claim to be the one who took the photos, that just happen to be on the same exact page of a popular website that gets its photos from the AP. And this one time, in band camp, these kids pointed out our position to a mortar team so I shot them and decided to tell complete strangers about it on the internet, because when you kill children that is the normal response.�)

And I know nothing about the military other than what I see in Steven Segal movies. I found that on google.

Then maybe you can google up the information that I gave you... how about doing that? Instead of running your fuckin' mouth about shit you don't know. Google Detachment 1 and see what the selection process was like and how people were prepared for it you stupid fuck, then come on here and tell me i'm feeding you bullshit. Go suck a dick.

Since you will continue bitching how you're smarter than all of us here you go:

http://www.globalspecialoperations.com/mcsocomdet1.html

"CRITERIA:

The personnel chosen for assignment to this unit will all

have at least five years experience in a Force Recon MOS

with superior efficiency ratings.

TRAINING:

First Phase will be conducted at Camp Pendleton, Ca

The Force Reconnaissance element will receive the Second

Phase which will be conducted by SEAL personnel at the

Naval Special Warfare Center, Coronado, CA After completion

of this phase, this element will be assigned to SOCOM and will

operate in six month tours with SEAL operations.

This unit will be the first Marine Corps unit assigned to the

U. S. Special Operations Command since it was established in

1986."

Take a wild guess what "phase 1" included. Stupid ass.

Originally posted by bobthedestroyer@Mar 2 2006, 06:02 PM

And once again, what the fuck do you knwo about the 75th or anything else? (besides finding it on google).

dude, he's fucking gi joe, you haven't figured that out yet? gi joe knows everything even if it's hilariously ironic much of the time. anyhow..this is great...gi joe vs. gi joe. who's the real gi joe?!?!?

2004-12-05n_doll.jpg

NOW WITH KUNG FU GRIP!!!!!!!

Jeepers burlap, I must have really injured your internet persona’s ego for you to need to follow me around and go out of your way to make mildly offensive comments about my hilarious irony…after you specifically stated you would take the high road and put me on ignore. Do you want a hug big guy? I’m sorry I made fun of you, it will get better pal. Keep yer chin up, ect ect.

Bob, take me off your PM block list so we don’t keep hijacking all the threads. And what information did you give me, exactly? You said you were in ANGLICO, then said it was training for det.1 and your really force recon. So which is it? You said you weren’t chosen because there were “more qualified people�, then you said that it wasn’t something to try out for. Even if I ignored how that directly contradicts itself, you had time to set up a tri pod and take a photo of yourself while training an interdiction mission? Because you also claimed you are a good photographer who took the photos as well. You still did not mention how the only photos you took of yourself were from a website that gets its pictures from the AP, on the exact same page, and not the section for user posted images. If you are such a great photographer, it would not be hard to take a photo of you in your alphas next to this screen, or holding several items next to this screen would also work.

And you spend a lot of fucking time googling links to prove how you are telling the truth, and writing essays to prove you are a high speed recon ninja, yet spending 5 seconds to give me your mil.com user name or class number or current unit affiliations is too much trouble? And speaking of which, you seem incredibly concerned for someone who has nothing to prove. Seriously, go outside for a walk, move out of mom's apartment, get some pussy, live the high life! You don't need to prove how awesome you are to complete strangers who either don't care, or hate everything you stand for. Just think about it.

Originally posted by bobthedestroyer@Mar 3 2006, 09:25 AM

Since you will continue bitching how you're smarter than all of us here you go:

http://www.globalspecialoperations.com/mcsocomdet1.html

"CRITERIA:

The personnel chosen for assignment to this unit will all

have at least five years experience in a Force Recon MOS

with superior efficiency ratings.

TRAINING:

First Phase will be conducted at Camp Pendleton, Ca

The Force Reconnaissance element will receive the Second

Phase which will be conducted by SEAL personnel at the

Naval Special Warfare Center, Coronado, CA After completion

of this phase, this element will be assigned to SOCOM and will

operate in six month tours with SEAL operations.

This unit will be the first Marine Corps unit assigned to the

U. S. Special Operations Command since it was established in

1986."

Take a wild guess what "phase 1" included. Stupid ass.

yet again another thing you took offa the internet. your a pussy and i personally hate yuo more than hitler bob

and i thot that all these highly specialized military units in the us army would have like some kinda contract or something you would have to sign to not talk about military stuff over the internet, for anyone to read...i dunno maybe its just me

sorry mods for the three posts

oh dang! i feel so pwned by such a 'well thought out retort'..since you're concerned with hijacking threads, you could even pm me with some more lame retorts instead of doing it here, but i have a feeling the irony of "you obviously feel the need to garner attention and have something to prove" will get the better of you. write soon little man.

Originally posted by bobthedestroyer@Mar 1 2006, 12:26 PM

And casek*... if you got nothing better to do find out how the soldiers/Marines/airmen/sailors overseas voted in the 04 election... I think you would be surprised how many people voted republican (the guy's who think we should stay in Iraq and not run away like pussies).

attacked.jpg

VOTE REPUBLICAN SOLIDER! THAT'S AN ORDER!

im gonna take a wild guess that bobthedestroyer is in some faggy militia thing or the national guard or somethign equally useless and depressing.

whats up with the national guard in america anyway? does it count as a government thing or does each state have its own branch or is it jsut a bunch of deadshits playing soldiers or what?

Originally posted by yum@Mar 6 2006, 03:20 AM

im gonna take a wild guess that bobthedestroyer is in some faggy militia thing or the national guard or somethign equally useless and depressing.

whats up with the national guard in america anyway? does it count as a government thing or does each state have its own branch or is it jsut a bunch of deadshits playing soldiers or what?

You're also a retard. The national guard gets deployed to Iraq like any other branch. What is "useless" is your dumbass and your mother for bringing you into this world.