Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lord_casek

• Seffiks

• Mainter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Computer security has many facets.  My basic recommendations for a home user are the following:   * Use a good brand of router, do not rely upon what the telco provided you to be secure.

@Tails0nEmaybe try asking here  @Dirty_habiTis pretty good with the ‘puters 

Posted Images

For the past month, my Dell Latitude E6520 has been unable to connect to the internet in places in which the connection is strong/apparent/etc. Every time I try to connect to a network and whatnot it says that no network can be found. I've done all sort of basic restarts/diagnostics but there doesn't appear to be anything apparently wrong. I wish there were more specifics I could give you but frankly I'm not that computer-savvy.

For the past month, my Dell Latitude E6520 has been unable to connect to the internet in places in which the connection is strong/apparent/etc. Every time I try to connect to a network and whatnot it says that no network can be found. I've done all sort of basic restarts/diagnostics but there doesn't appear to be anything apparently wrong. I wish there were more specifics I could give you but frankly I'm not that computer-savvy.

http://www.dell.com and look for driver updates for your Latitude.

That may solve it, may not.

Let us know.

Guest Ginger Bread Man
I'm in need of a key for office mac 2008 home & student edition.

any help?

thanks

I gotchu with a key as well as with office 2011 if you want it.

have a super simple, and super frustrating problem.

i just upgraded my tv's in the house and am upgrading my old 23' acer monitor to a coby 32 led tv. currently i've got it hooked up with a vga cable as my video card doesn't have hdmi out. the problem is i cant get it to the correct resolution, it keeps changing it back whenever i get it set right...not really sure what i need to do in order to get it to display correctly but this is pissing me off. very u mad.

tldr; trying to use 32 coby led tv as a monitor, but the resolution isnt right and 25% of each side of my screen is just black.

so this is an issue with my parent's computer, but whatever. basically they've completely rendered it useless as they download a buncha dumb shit that they don't really need... even though i tell them that half of it is adware/spyware/bullshit.

so I brought over my trusty pirated copy of windows on a old ass cdrw, but lo and behold something's SUPER fucked as i can't even boot from disk. after trying to open the cd drive for about 10 minutes (it doesn't like opening), i finally get the disk in but can't get to anything in the bios settings to find BOOT FROM DISK.

do i have any other optiosn to reformat this piece of shit?

whaddaya know... after not messing with the computer for a few days to regain my sanity, i decide to change the boot device order from the floppy drive first, to the cd drive first in order to force it to boot from cd.

currently reformatting that pc now... crossing my fingers it goes as planned. or else the neighborhood cat is gonna get gutted tonight

Guest Ginger Bread Man
Cant open any program, it ask me: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:"

good luck with this one

i gave up and reinstalled the os as it wasn't me who dloaded the bug and i couldn't find the name by which i could do a proper diagnostic.

Cant open any program, it ask me: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:"

Im assuming you have a PC.

go to start, run, type iexplore.exe press enter.

if it still asks for a program to open the file choose Internet Explorer

go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

download and run EXE File Association Fix

if you cant get to the internet on your computer download it from someone elses onto a jumpdrive and run it on yours.

JUST REALIZED YOU ALREADY FIXED IT.

so i'm about to reformat my seagate external so i can use it solely with my mac.

tell me if i'm going to be doing it wrong.

take everything on it. deposit it onto my desktop(everything that will go onto the mac)

reformat. then put it all right back on?

That should do it. It should be pretty straight forward.

Ok. Heres a little more specific instructions.

Backup your shit to the pc. Make sure everything is there. Once you go formatting shit its gonna be gone.

Format the External HD using FAT32. FAT32 is readable by Macs and PCs but was not designed for large harddrives and can degrade over time(read unreliable). Heres how to format to FAT32 on a mac.

"Disk Utility is an application. It's in a folder called "Utilities" in the "Applications" folder on your computer's harddrive. You can get to it quickly by clicking on the spotlight icon (the magnifying glass) in the upper right corner of your screen, and typing "disk utility.""

Once in disk utility, select your external drive in the list on the left of the Disk Utility window, and click "erase". Select FAT32 as your file format, name the volume, and click the "erase" option."

Copy your shit back to the external drive that is now formatted using FAT32(copy it dont cut and paste it just in case something fucks up)

Move the data from the external drive to the MAC. Import the music to Itunes and whatnot. Im not sure what you mean by "PC Files"....

Once everything is moved reformat the External Hard Drive with the mac os disc utility using HFS formatting (for longterm reliable use.)

Guest Ginger Bread Man

Fat 32 has a. File tranfer limit of 4gb, anything larger than that will return you a panic kernel when you try to move the file.

If you have any files larger than 4gb and are using the files on macs only, i recommed formatting to ntfs extended journal however your pc will only be able to read the content of that drive/not writeable.

Although originally 4gb was thought to be a storage cap which would last centuries it would seem to them, In todays world with pocket cell phones and back to the future gadgets, 4gb is by no means a large file.

Follow mephis advice.