<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Samsung Unveils 8GB Smartphone

Korea’s largest electronics maker Samsung Electronics has developed the world's highest capacity Smartphone. The SGH-i310 boasts an embedded 8GB hard disk and is slated for release in Europe during the second half of the year, the company said Monday. The model comes with the latest version of Windows Mobile 5.0 to provide a PC-like environment. It can also store up to 2,000 songs (4MB/song).200603060021_00.jpg

rest of story

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0603060021.html

Intel Mac mini Upgraded to 2.16GHz Core Duo

newsstory453.jpg

The great modder that goes by the name Fugger at XtremeSystems has proved that it is possible to swap the CPU in the new Intel Mac minis. He was able to successfully upgrade his 1.5GHz Core Solo based Mac mini with a Intel Yonah 2.16GHz Core Duo. The Core Solo model is the cheaper of the two Mac mini configurations available by Apple. This is great news for people that want the ability to buy something cheap now and have the ability of upgrading to a much faster processor, as per my earlier prediction. This was made possible by the discovery that the motherboards in both new Mac minis are identical Intel Napa-based boards.

The XtremeSystems thread is very impressive, showing the steps necessary to complete such an upgrade yourself. The CPU swap involves removing the motherboard completely, taking off the heatsink and the old CPU. The process is definitely not for the faint of heart when it comes to dismantling a new Mac mini.

AMD Intros 3 Opterons

Chip maker debuts three dual-core models that will give Intel further competition.

Advanced Micro Devices introduced three processors in its dual-core Opteron line on Monday, only days after rival Intel lowered its revenue expectations for the first quarter because of increased competition from AMD.

PC Support

Get all your Windows, Hardware, Networking, and software support questions answered here

PC Tips and Tricks, Modding

Linux/Unix Support

Get all your Linux/Unix questions answered here

Linux/Unix Tips and Tricks

Mac Support

Get all your mac questions answered here

Mac Tips and Tricks

Electronics

Get all your questions on MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, TV's, etc. answered here

Internet releated questions answered here

its all up to you of what you want on this thread so post your questions and suggestions

I got a question for you guys... although I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. The "problem" occurs when I double-click an .exe file. Depending on how big the file is, my computer will sort of pause for a while before actually executing the file. The larger the file, the longer it will pause. When the file is really big (like a 1 GB self-extracting .exe) it will end up causing explorer to stop responding when I try to run it. I'm thinking that something is scanning every executable file I run to make sure it's not malicious, but it just started happening recently, and I haven't installed anything new in a while. I haven't tried disabling any programs to find out who's doing it yet... I figured I'd see if anyone knew anything first.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I need some help aswell. I think the acrobat on my comp is fucked (acrobat 7.0 pro). It opens some pdf's and it wont open some others. For some reason i think it has to do with my pdf reader than the pdf file being corrupted/damaged.

Can you please try to open this:

http://www.deitch.com/files/artists/BM2005.pdf

and tell me if its working or not?

thanx

Originally posted by Tesseract@Mar 8 2006, 08:04 AM

I need some help aswell. I think the acrobat on my comp is fucked (acrobat 7.0 pro). It opens some pdf's and it wont open some others. For some reason i think it has to do with my pdf reader than the pdf file being corrupted/damaged.

thanx

it works.

did you try saving it to your computer first then opening it?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Yeah and pdf would report it as corrupted still. Then i tried opening from IE instead of mozilla and it worked. Then i realised i had to disable my mozilla 'PDF download' extention that was working fine so far...go figure.

anyway, problem fixed

Originally posted by Tesseract@Mar 8 2006, 11:04 AM

thanx

yeah it works just fine umm uninstall acrobat reader and install foxit reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

i had the same problem before i went back to adobe 6.5 for awhile and it worked fine

Originally posted by Herbivore@Mar 8 2006, 09:28 AM

I got a question for you guys... although I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. The "problem" occurs when I double-click an .exe file. Depending on how big the file is, my computer will sort of pause for a while before actually executing the file. The larger the file, the longer it will pause. When the file is really big (like a 1 GB self-extracting .exe) it will end up causing explorer to stop responding when I try to run it. I'm thinking that something is scanning every executable file I run to make sure it's not malicious, but it just started happening recently, and I haven't installed anything new in a while. I haven't tried disabling any programs to find out who's doing it yet... I figured I'd see if anyone knew anything first.

dont sound like its scanning every file sounds like your processor is taking a shit to me

run the computer in safemode with nothing running and try to install a app. see what it does if it is still slow its time to upgrade your system if its faster there maybe a malware infest

My processor is 3.0 GHz, so it's not a matter of needing to upgrade. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, either, because in every other aspect my computer runs perfectly fine. It's kind of a tough thing to search for help on, too.

Some more info...

When I run a program through a shortcut, this doesn't happen. If I run a program through the start menu it runs immediately. It only "pauses" when I physically double-click the file with the mouse. You know how when you double-click an executable file the mouse cursor immediately changes to the hourglass? Well with my computer, it won't do that right away. Even for small .exe's it will pause for a split second or so before actually executing the file. For slightly larger files, it will pause for several seconds before I even see the hourglass indicating that the program is being run. And for really large files, it never gets there, or at least it didn't during the several minutes I gave it to run. I double-click the file and nothing happens, and the window becomes non-responsive. Who knows, maybe it is malware.

To Herbivore

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Click the "Save" button.

Navigate to My Documents>Chose My Downloads or My Received Files folder once inside that folder click "Save".

Now go to the folder you saved HijackThis_sfx.exe in.

Double click HijackThis_sfx.exe and select Unzip. When done click "OK".

Close the WinZip self Extractor window.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.

Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and paste Ctrl-V its contents here [Add Reply].

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

My Maxtor 120gig Hard Drive just died the other day, It cannot be detected in Bios and when its powered up it gives an 8 or 9 tone beep code.

Since Im a dumb ass and didnt back any of this info up, does anyone know some way to retrieve any of the data.

Im a little hesitant about taking it to a technician since I have photos of thousands of counts of my own criminal damage on there.

Any help?

download this unzip it with winrar or winzip

burn the file to a cd on the damaged machine go into the bios set the cd rom to boot first have the cd in and run this program

http://www.sendover.com/C3X3-36-R48L

this program really trys in many many ways get your data back and try to get it to boot but as you say the bios cannot find it its a very slim chance worth a try

i cnnot look up the beep code at this time i will have to get back to you but sounds pretty much a total loss do not buy Maxtor ever again they are a crappy brand for the taking it to a tech part do not waste your time if that program cannot get your data off your are done for the only way you will get it back alive is to buy the excact same brand and model made during the same time as the orginal and swapping out the platters of the harddrive (that will cost you the least) if you really need it you will have to take it to a data recovery tech and they will charge you 1 dollar of every megabyte recovered there is 122880mb in a 120 gb harddrive so good luck

i will need more info on the harddrive for the beep code oh be sure to open up the computer and press in all the cables i should have said that first

do/did you hear any noise like grinding ,scratching smell anything before this happened?

Here are the beep codes for a few different BIOS manufacturers:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It might not be the hard drive that's causing the beeping. You should try attaching your hard drive to another computer as a secondary drive and see if you can access it.

Here's another (annoying) website that explains the beep codes in a little more detail:

http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/

Originally posted by Herbivore@Mar 8 2006, 02:59 PM

Here are the beep codes for a few different BIOS manufacturers:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It might not be the hard drive that's causing the beeping. You should try attaching your hard drive to another computer as a secondary drive and see if you can access it.

Here's another (annoying) website that explains the beep codes in a little more detail:

http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/

The beep decoder I read basicly said this; Its fucked, try detect it in Bios, if it cant be detected there then its really fucked.

It also says the HD itself has no speakers so it cant be the thing beeping, but every thing else I have plugged it into makes the exact same tones.

Yeah I have checked cables, and tried it on various computers.

Ill have a go with that program. Thanks fellas.