<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

Yo. Peep Game:

I always buy shit from target, since they have a 90 day return policy. Like I bought a psp from there, ps2 when it first came out, ipod, etc. Used em from like 89 days and brought em back and got all my money back. I wouldnt even call it renting because you get ALL your money back haha.

Microsoft Update kb908531 breaks Explorer, IE, & Office

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft this morning concerning this issue. We have many machines on our campus that are being affected by this patch and I decided it was time to get to the root of the problem. Some machines have the patch installed and are experiencing no problems, while others can barely function. It appears this problem is caused by installing this patch on systems with Hewlett Packard’s Share-to-Web software, nVidia shell extension GUID’s, Kerio Personal Firewall, Roxio DragToDisc / Adaptec DirectCD shell extension, or SolidWorkds 3D CAD products shell extension. In addition to this information, the engineer I spoke with was nice enough to email me the current registry workarounds for each problem. I asked him for a URL to this information and he said he didn’t have one because they were working on a hotfix and had not posted this on the web. So I am. Here’s the workaround information provided to me to help resolve this issue:

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Resolution 1. HEWLETT-PACKARD’s Share-to-Web software

1. The Shell fix includes a white list - VERCLSID.EXE will not scan any extension that appears on this list, so adding the HP shell extension fixes the problem.

The following REG file can be applied to problem systems and will correct the problem permanently:

To manually enter the registry entries on a problem machine:

a. Log on to the machine with an account with administrator privileges

b. Goto Start ->Run

c. Type Regedit and press enter.

d. Navigate to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

e. Right Click and Select New -> DWORD Value with and enter the following:

For Windows 2000, enter the following…

{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

For Windows XP or 2003, enter the following…

{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0×401

f. Set the Data of this value to 1

g. Close the Registry editor

h. Reboot the computer

Resolution 2. nVidia shell extension GUIDs

The following REG file can be applied to problem systems and will correct the problem permanently:

To manually enter the registry entries on a problem machine:

a. Log on to the machine with an account with administrator privileges

b. Goto Start ->Run

c. Type Regedit and press enter.

d. Navigate to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

e. Right Click and Select New -> DWORD Value with and enter the following:

For Windows 2000, enter the following…

{1e9b04fb-f9e5-4718-997b-b8da88302a47} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

{1e9b04fb-f9e5-4718-997b-b8da88302a48} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

{1cdb2949-8f65-4355-8456-263e7c208a5d} {000214e6-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

For Windows XP or 2003 enter the following…

{1e9b04fb-f9e5-4718-997b-b8da88302a47} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0×401

{1e9b04fb-f9e5-4718-997b-b8da88302a48} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0×401

{1cdb2949-8f65-4355-8456-263e7c208a5d} {000214e6-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0×401

f. Set the Data of each of these values to 1

g. Close the Registry editor

h. Reboot the computer

Resolution 3. VERCLSID.EXE process flagged by Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Note: There has been only one known report of this issue.

Kerio Personal Firewall Users can configure Kerio to allow VERCLSID.EXE to execute without prompting

The App Compat team is currently working with Kerio to request that they not flag VERCLSID.EXE.

========================================================

Other problem GUIDs recently found:

========================================================

Roxio DragToDisc / Adaptec DirectCD Shell Extension

Windows XP / 2003

{5e44e225-a408-11cf-b581-008029601108} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0×401

Windows 2000:

{5e44e225-a408-11cf-b581-008029601108} {000214e8-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

SolidWorks 3D CAD products shell extension

Windows XP / 2003

{ee386d18-e6d7-407e-8d3c-47c05e602199} {0000010b-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0×401

Windows 2000:

{ee386d18-e6d7-407e-8d3c-47c05e602199} {0000010b-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

double posted.. my bad.

PC Support

Get all your Windows, Hardware, Networking, and software support questions answered here

PC Tips and Tricks, Modding

Linux/Unix Support

Get all your Linux/Unix questions answered here

Linux/Unix Tips and Tricks

Mac Support

Get all your mac questions answered here

Mac Tips and Tricks

Electronics

Get all your questions on MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, TV's, etc. answered here

godamn nigger*, this shit is takin forever to defrag in :/x drive...maybe because I have my c drive saved like 3 times on there... (my c drive is 60gb, my X drive is 260gb or something)...but seems good...

seriously my cpu is 4 years old, I feel like I have a chopper cpu all souped up tweaked and muscled, lol

(* nigger: an eutheymism used to espress an extreme version of "nigga")

{holy}random+++

There are lots of ways to get to Event Viewer, but I typically hit Start, Run, and type eventvwr. There are typically three logs available:

*Application: applications running under Windows are supposed to log their events here.

*Security: when enabled, Windows can log a host of security-related events, which are logged here.

*System: the operating system logs its events here.

If you click on the System node on the left hand side, you'll get something much like this:

eventvwr1.png

Each line on the right corresponds to one event logged by the system. The event type can be a "Success Audit", Informational, a Warning, or an Error. Information here includes the date and time of the event, the source (the Windows component in this case) of the event, the "category", an event number, the user account in use when the event was logged, and the computer name.

This is where things start to get a little disorganized:

*There are no hard and fast rules for what constitutes an error, warning or informational event. In fact, a properly operating system might show Error entries in the event logs.

*As you can see in this listing, "category" is rarely used.

*Each event is assigned a number. We'll see in a minute how to translate them, but for the moment, this display is rather meaningless to the casual observer.

If you double click on one of the event lines in the right hand pane, you'll get something like this:

eventvwr2.png

This is actually a fairly useful warning. The error number corresponds to the message displayed in the Description box. Here, my system is telling me that my clock might be off because it wasn't able to reach a time server for an extended period of time. Clearly, just a warning.

From my application log, however, comes another all-too-common type of entry:

eventvwr3.png

This "Success Audit" of my run of Office Update is trying to tell me something. Unfortunately "The Description for Event ID (0) ... cannot be found" is a very common Event Log entry. Often there will be additional data included that might give a clue as to what was being logged. In this case it appears to be a successful install of "VSDEBUG_6707_ENG". I think.

And that leads to how things get even more obfuscated in the event log: applications, often included the operating system itself, fail to log things correctly, or at all. In their defense, the event log has a very convoluted interface to program to, but nonetheless, while difficult, it can and should be used correctly.

So, should you care? Absolutely. The Event Log is far from perfect, but it can contain valuable data. At worst, it will tell you nothing. At best, it may hold important clues to problems you may be having with your computer, or the applications you're using.

Go ahead and browse around in the event viewer. Don't panic when you see lots of warnings or errors; as I said, even a functioning computer will have those. In fact, if you look while your system is functioning normally, you'll get a sense of what "normal" looks like in your event log. Then later, when you see items that seem suspicious, out of place, or seem to be related to the problems you're seeing, that's information worth paying attention to.

godamn nigger*, this shit is takin forever to defrag in :/x drive...maybe because I have my c drive saved like 3 times on there... (my c drive is 60gb, my X drive is 260gb or something)...but seems good...

seriously my cpu is 4 years old, I feel like I have a chopper cpu all souped up tweaked and muscled, lol

(* nigger: an eutheymism used to espress an extreme version of "nigga")

haha. the power defrag is a good tool. don't defrag too much, though. once every two weeks

or maybe once a month is fine.

you're x drive i shuge. it will take awhile.

i went to the event viewer and i did not see anything relating to my problem which is...

my computer is fairly new with a DVD(+/-)R/RW drive. the program on my computer to burn dvd's is intervideo windvd creator. whenever i insert a blank dvd-r it says that there is no dvd rewritable disc detected and that i need to insert a rewritable dvd. when i go to my computer and check how much space is on the blank disc it says zero space available it works with cd-r... i really don't know what to do. bf says that i need a program or something but i figure that the program should work.

i've experienced similar issues with windvd creator.

therefore, i only use it on the rare.

are you making the movies yourself or copying?

if copying, try dvdshrink.

if making them yourself, try using something like nero

all available via torrents and p2p.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Peer Guardian is fuckin up my Norton. How do I fix cause now its saying I dont have a subscription.

im back early..................... ummm sneak, no you do not need 2 firewalls just causes issues if you got windows xp sp2 then you already got 2 firewalls running a 3rd is not recommended

another recommendationif you have norton as your antivirus get rid of it and get avast or AVG instead

well while i was out i figured i would learn how to hack google here is my first attempt tell me how well it works

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"ADD YOUR SONG TITLE OR ARTIST HERE OR BOTH SEPERATED BY - WITH THE SPACES OR / EXAMPLE GODSMACK - VOODOO or GODSMACK/VOODOO" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

so it should look similar to this

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"godsmack - voodoo" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"godsmack/voodoo" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"godsmack" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"voodoo" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

if you do not want music try a book

-inurl:htm -inurl:html intitle:"index of" +("/ebooks"|"/book") +(chm|pdf|zip) +"Graffiti" "Last Modified"

change Graffiti with whatever you are looking for

i've never heard them called firewalls.

in fact, if you check the faqs for both,

i'm sure you'll see that they never claim

that pg or protowallare firewalls.

well i think of it this way if the job they do is block IP addresses its pretty much a firewall so it might not be named that but they do the same job just in different ways