<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
LOL well put.

Quick question.

-- I am backing up my pc to and doing a fresh install of windows (prolly W7)... I have alot of shit on my computer to say the least. Does anyone know a way to do some sort of organizing without having to go through item by item to check for duplicates? Example. I have around 700 gigs of music, in which I could guess about 5% of the tracks are duplicates, some are the exact same track in different locations on my drives, some are same tracks with different bitrates. Is there any type of cataloging software that could help make this organization easier?

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/features/feature23.jsp

this is the best program in the world and is worth purchasing but you can find a torrent

does everything you are asking and more

i'm also in the process of installing a new copy of windows, but.....

vypbic.jpg

i broke it. I have a compaq computer, so i cant install windows vista and such. its a simple desktop where i just use the internet and do some simple documents.

can anyone link me a torrent or something to make a iso. and install that XP home edition to the comp?

I will up a copy for you later

ANybody know any free antivirus software? My girl downloaded a file off of limewire (i told her to not do peer to peer sharing)...obviously she didnt listen.

pop up central. Windows security alert the whole nine yards...I can get something from work tomorrow but I am wondering if there are any easy solutions.

anyone?

Get avast for your normal antivirus program (now includes newer malware protection)

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Do not click on any pop ups just click x through them all

and for the problem you have now can be taken care of with Malwarebytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php run a full system scan ( be sure to update to latest defs first)

Also you said you are getting popups - Get Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html when you are done installing firefox get this add-on its called adblock plus

from here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

• Like 1

I would like to preface my question by stating that I am not a very computer savvy person.

I am trying to download a student copy of a Autodesk product. I clicked the download button and saved a installer file. I was expecting some sort of installation wizard to pop up but it has not.

I have a feeling I should have gone for the manual install option.

Anyway now the tab that I clicked install on is doing something but I can not tell if things are on track or not. The red x where you click to stop a action on the internet is flashing and down on the bottom of the browser it flashes some task type stuff.

I joined the student community thing and over there is has been showing a 20% complete bar that has not moved at all.

Any ideas?

I would like to preface my question by stating that I am not a very computer savvy person.

I am trying to download a student copy of a Autodesk product. I clicked the download button and saved a installer file. I was expecting some sort of installation wizard to pop up but it has not.

I have a feeling I should have gone for the manual install option.

Anyway now the tab that I clicked install on is doing something but I can not tell if things are on track or not. The red x where you click to stop a action on the internet is flashing and down on the bottom of the browser it flashes some task type stuff.

I joined the student community thing and over there is has been showing a 20% complete bar that has not moved at all.

Any ideas?

Step 1 Take out all disks,Restart. Once it has booted up, insert the installation disk.

Step 2 Wait a few, then, the Autodesk installation wizard will launch. Select an installation language to continue.

Step 3 Follow the prompts to create the user settings. When you reach the serial key, type in the number that can be found either on the back of the installation disk's case or on a small card inserted in the case.

Step 4 Finish the remaining installation prompts (such as the location of the installation and if you want a custom or full installation); then click "Install." The actual installation will begin. It will take a few minutes to complete.

Step 5 Click "Finish" once the installation has completed. Autodesk is now installed on the system.

I think that not seeing the installer may be the problem, there is this

Click "run" or "open" to start the installer.

Don't see the installer? Try reopening it.

on the page that this is going on in but when I click the re-open link it just gives me the option of saving the installer file I do not know where to find it on my computer or how to get it to run.

I think that not seeing the installer may be the problem, there is this

Click "run" or "open" to start the installer.

Don't see the installer? Try reopening it.

on the page that this is going on in but when I click the re-open link it just gives me the option of saving the installer file I do not know where to find it on my computer or how to get it to run.

not quite sure, contact autodesk about it, they are helpful

• Like 1

oh and also, autodesk is not helpful AT ALL.

ive been through their customer support lines, been on hold for hours, talked to countless robots and didnt even get an answer to my question (question being if there was a discount on their software for non-profits)

riddle me this tech crew

I have two sites with trackers, on my blog a bot IP 72.197.113.# started viewing it heavy and I think its annoying because it throws off my counter

Could it be a bad bot?

the blog has also started posting it's own post randomly called Tube something or another...weird

On the other site I post links and I've noticed bots view them a lot

It's lame but is it Malicious?

I run Avira, windows defender, CCleaner, and tuneup on the regular

Do you know if it can be used as a host as well? I saw it listed as a client while I was googling but then put it aside because I didn't find any information on using it as a hub application.

this is the only hub

http://linux.wareseeker.com/Communications/dconnect-daemon-1.1.0.zip/339134

i think you need to compile it for a mac

riddle me this tech crew

I have two sites with trackers, on my blog a bot IP 72.197.113.# started viewing it heavy and I think its annoying because it throws off my counter

Could it be a bad bot?

the blog has also started posting it's own post randomly called Tube something or another...weird

On the other site I post links and I've noticed bots view them a lot

It's lame but is it Malicious?

I run Avira, windows defender, CCleaner, and tuneup on the regular

what kind of blog is it?

EDIT: My roommate is a jackass. But I guess I still have a general query:

-I'm running utorrent 24/7.

-I'm currently fowarding a port on my comp

-I have NO anti-virus or anti-spyware or anti-ANYTHING on my comp (foolish?)

Is it foolish to have my comp running 24/7 with utorrent and no spyware, etc? I have peerguardian2 running which is supposedly supposed to block portscanners and malware.

Much appreciated.

what kind of blog is it?

Tumblr I have the options

-Allow search engines to index your tumblelog

If checked, your tumblelog will appear in search results on sites such as Google and Yahoo.

-Ping the Blogosphere

This tells sites like Technorati and My Yahoo! to list your latest post

Set up on it

but I've been on there for over a year and that particular bot started visiting only recently

...that's if it is a bot

If its a person well then I've got a stalker

meh the internet

i got a question hope fully someone can tell me wat i can do...i have an Hp laptop with Vista... sometimes my computer bugs out and staticky then shuts down and tells me that it has a "bluescreen error"... most likely this has something to do with this>>>>>...where can i get a free virus scan with no bullshit?

Untitled-1.jpg

Before doing the below first remove norton by using this

http://www.appremover.com/opswat-appremover-thoroughly-remove-your-security-applications

download/save/install/run/select norton and all the other securuty crap HP adds and remove it

Things You Can Do At Home

Urge And Help On.

Here Are My Recommended Programs That You Should Install, To Keep Your Computer Clean And Running Smooth

Recommended Anti-Virus Software

Avast Anti-Virus (Free Home Edition)

Recommended By Me, But Slows Computer Down During Boot.

AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)

Also A Great Product, Is Slow During Scan And Gives A Lot False Positives.

Avira AntiVir (Free Edition)

Very Fast, Very Small , Works Very Well.

Comodo Anti-Virus (Free Edition)

Very Bloated With Extra Tools ( Not Very Beginner User Friendly, But Works Great.

Recommended System Cleaners

CCleaner

Freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

Recommended Anti-Malware Software

MalwareBytes (Free)

Recommend By Me, Great Program, Finds Everything.

Windows Defender (Free)

Great Balance Of Speed, And File Pickup, Low On System Resources. Comes Built In With Vista.

Spybot-S&D ( Free)

Fast, Small, Finds A Lot Of Files.

Ad-Aware (Free)

Slow, Finds The Most Files When Properly Configured But Takes Up The Most System Resources.

HijackThis (Free)

For Advanced Users Only.

Internet Web Browser Alternatives

Mozilla Firefox ( with extensions)

Recommended By Me, Fast, Most Secure, Has The Ability To Fit Anyones Style, Very User Friendly

Opera

The Fastest Of All The Web Browsers, And Most Compatible With Websites Built In IE Code. More Secure Then IE

Safari

This Is For Apple Turnovers That Want To Stay Connected To Something They Know.

If You Need Help Setting Up And Configuring Any Of These Programs Do Not Hesitate To E-Mail Me And Ask

DO's and DON'T's

Urge And Help On.

DO:

Manually update and scan your system with an anti-spyware program at least twice a month.

Manually run ' Windows Disk Defrag' or other disk defragmentation program at least twice a month.

Be very cautious of downloading and installing programs from the Internet, or from free CD's that come in the mail or are available at public places like stores. Use a search engine to research any programs you are unfamiliar with to check if they come with spyware, adware or viruses before downloading and installing.

Use 'Firefox' web browser instead of Microsoft's 'Internet Explorer'. 'Firefox' is more secure and can use extensions, which are little programs that give extra features to the browser. For example, one extension, 'Adblock Plus', blocks ads from downloading to your computer, making your Internet browsing safer. Also 'Firefox' looks better.

Uninstall programs that you do not use anymore This will boost performance.

To Do This:

1.) Click on 'Start', then click on 'Control Panel'.

2.) In the 'Control Panel', click on 'Add or Remove Programs' ('Programs and Features' in Windows Vista), and then wait for the list to appear with all the programs on the computer.

3.) Click on the name of the program you want to remove, then click the button on the right-hand side that says 'Remove' or 'Change/Remove' (In Vista, simply click the name of the program and the process will begin).

4.) Once the uninstaller starts, follow the options presented to remove the program as completely as it will allow.

Each program uninstalls a little differently, but usually it's just a series of buttons asking if you're sure you want to uninstall and if you want all of it uninstalled. Just follow the logical path to get the program off the computer and it will be gone.

Please note that you should never use the Add Remove Programs to uninstall any programs you think are malicious, This could cause more problems. And should be taken care off by a Tech,

DON'T:

Do not Install additional spyware or adware removal programs without researching them first. There are many fake ones offered that actually are spyware and adware, or give false results, offering to fix the problems only if you buy the paid version.

Do not Install more than one antivirus program. If there are multiple antivirus programs running at once, They will interfere with each other and can actually PREVENT themselves from doing their job right.

Do not install any other programs for security without researching them first. There are many programs that claim to enhance Windows security that actually do just the opposite.

Do no install toolbars for the browser, such as Yahoo, Google, Windows Live or any others. These take up valuable screen space while browsing the Internet and use up system resources, as well as present a potential privacy issue (such as reporting your Internet activity back to their respective parent companies).

Allow unnecessary programs to start up when the computer starts up. This slows down the whole computer and saps system resources from the moment the computer is turned on. Activate each program as you need it, then shut it down when you're done with it, rather than letting it continue running in the background.

Allow programs to install additional programs. When installing one program, uncheck all options for installing other programs such as toolbars and things like that. Many companies bundle their software with programs from other companies as a sort of advertising method, and this can result in several programs being installed for each one you actually intend to install. This can have all sorts of unintended consequences, from security breaches to system resource hogging to nuclear war. You don't want to cause nuclear war, do you?

Accept file transfers or attachments from people on instant messengers or email if you don't personally know them.

so i have a keyboard that just so happens to have a sleep mode key right above my esc key

every once and a while i hit the sleep button instead of escape and fucks my whole shit up of going through the sleep mode process

how do i disable that key? if there's no solution, i'm ripping it off my keyboard

619hJY7g9ZL._SS500_.jpg

only image i found of my keyboard without taking one. you can see how close they are to each other in the top left corner